The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2020, 09:06 AM

Eastman E20D, Yamaha A5R, or Yamaha FGX5. Take your pick. I put any of them up against all others mentioned. Save yourself a thousand bucks and in my opinion you are not giving anything up in sound. If anything more likely the opposite. The pick up systems in the Yamahas are really good pick ups too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
edit: on 2nd read I noticed your neck preference, the Eastman dreads have a pretty full neck. I also have quite small hands and after years of playing Taylors, the Eastman neck is a welcome change.
Wait, I'm confused -- I thought Taylors had a reputation for thin necks. Are you saying that you prefer a thicker neck to a thinner one?
Old 11-09-2020, 09:33 AM

I have never had a problem with any of the necks of the guitars in my signature but if I remember correctly the neck on the Yamaha A3M that I owned was the thinnest. If you are looking for a very playable neck the A series is worth a look, but so is the Red label series. I know you said you were leaning toward rosewood. I get that. But if you have a chance to play one of the Red label Yamahas I think you will be impressed. I was. But your the one that has to make the decision.

Last edited by baw3; 11-09-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
As an owner of a Larrivee D40R, I can tell you this guitar is wonderful Dreadnought. I have a second one on order. Highly recommend.
American company, Run by Father and two sons with 53 years of experience. I would also recommend paying a little bit more and getting a Moonwood top. Moonwood gives a little bit of a fundamental tone...helping the Rosewood to have nice extra clarity.
I vote Larrivee D-40R. I have an OM-40R. Great guitar.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Check out Furch. There should be a few great options in your range and they are simply unbelievable in quality for the price.
I second the Furch recommendation. Probably something in their Blur or Green series.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:54 AM

For that list the Larrivee is the clear choice to me. Build quality and tone will be better than the others. And I like Eastman guitars a lot; just know that model to model they are not as nice.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I have never had a problem with any of the necks of the guitars in my signature but if I remember correctly the neck on the Yamaha A3M that I owned was the thinnest. If you are looking for a very playable neck the A series is worth a look, but so is the Red label series. I know you said you were leaning toward rosewood. I get that. But if you have a chance to play one of the Red label Yamahas I think you will be impressed. I was. But your the one that has to make the decision.
I will say some of the video demos I'm seeing on the Red Label guitars are impressive, and tonally rather up my alley:

https://youtu.be/Hh3radBnXWs

https://youtu.be/Vs6r-B7SlnY

Last edited by nightchef; 11-09-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Eastman or Larrivee, you can't possibly go wrong either way. I'm partial to Eastman but loves me some Larrivee guitar.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:13 PM

If you found the Guild neck to be too big, you're not going to like the Eastman!
Old 11-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I have small hands and find the Taylor neck far too shallow. I just don't like them. Right now my 70 Guild D 35 neck is the best of what I have. I have the chunkier neck of my Martin D 35 and the skinny neck of my Texan. I can play any of them, even my 13/4 00 15, as it is still thicker than a Taylor.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-09-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
As an owner of a Larrivee D40R, I can tell you this guitar is wonderful Dreadnought. I have a second one on order. Highly recommend.
American company, Run by Father and two sons with 53 years of experience. I would also recommend paying a little bit more and getting a Moonwood top. Moonwood gives a little bit of a fundamental tone...helping the Rosewood to have nice extra clarity.
+1, I'd go with the Larrivee. I'm still depressed that Larrivee moved from Vancouver to California but I understand why. Jean Larrivee is not just a great guitar builder but knows tonewoods as much as anyone out there.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
If you found the Guild neck to be too big, you're not going to like the Eastman!
Well, I've got an Eastman E10OM that I bought two years ago, and while the neck is a tad thicker than I'd ideally prefer, I don't mind it. It's definitely not thicker than my Guild. Do they put thicker necks on their dreads?
Old 11-09-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
Wait, I'm confused -- I thought Taylors had a reputation for thin necks. Are you saying that you prefer a thicker neck to a thinner one?
Yes I do, the fuller C shape fills the crook of my hand nicely and you don't have to use muscle tension to maintain the arch in your palm while fretting strings. The soft V necks I think accomplish the same thing. I've been presently surprised
Old 11-09-2020, 04:54 PM

It would be a Larrivee all the way for me. Their slope dreads are awesome as well. Absolutely stunning guitars.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:20 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT buy a Larrivee.

That way there'll be more for the rest of us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion