The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 05:41 PM

BillyMays: I agree with you. I'm sure that there may be some properties that are different (with the Vespel that is 2x in cost), and it could make a superior guitar pick. I don't think much in terms of "be-all-end-all," so I was mostly joking about that. I should have been more clear. BlueChip for example talks about Vespel as "the perfect connection to your instrument." If anyone else uses the 2x more expensive Vespel I'm sure they will say it is even more perfect than the "cheaper" stuff. I just dislike that kind of talk in general.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:26 AM

While I was reading this thread, I started thinking about the different tusq picks that have come out with different plastics that change the tonal qualities of the sound, then wandered off to thoughts about how Tusq uses the same/similar materials for their picks as their nuts, and then started wondering what a Vespal nut would sound like. This seems like an untapped market for Blue Chip.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
While I was reading this thread, I started thinking about the different tusq picks that have come out with different plastics that change the tonal qualities of the sound, then wandered off to thoughts about how Tusq uses the same/similar materials for their picks as their nuts, and then started wondering what a Vespal nut would sound like. This seems like an untapped market for Blue Chip.
I have some of those Tusq picks and on my guitars with my flatpicking style the tone on them varies from bad to awful!!!!! Far too hard and scratchy for me.

Tusq is like bone - and you don't see many folks raving about bone picks.

Conversely, I have some Vespel sheet and I don't think it would make a good nut material - too soft. It is easy to cut, file and sand - too easy to cut, file and sand to make a nut that would last. I expect that the plain strings would slice through it. And I think that the material would damp vibration transfer to the point where the open and fretted strings would be noticeably different in tone and volume. All this is a guess based on me having made Vespel picks as I have not actually made a nut from the stuff.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloPicks View Post
BillyMays: I agree with you. I'm sure that there may be some properties that are different (with the Vespel that is 2x in cost), and it could make a superior guitar pick. I don't think much in terms of "be-all-end-all," so I was mostly joking about that. I should have been more clear. BlueChip for example talks about Vespel as "the perfect connection to your instrument." If anyone else uses the 2x more expensive Vespel I'm sure they will say it is even more perfect than the "cheaper" stuff. I just dislike that kind of talk in general.

i don't disagree with your thinking at all, however on this particular topic your credibility may be somewhat compromised by your forum name. I'd be much more likely to try your products if you took the high road and just said nice things about BCPs and then moved on.
Old 11-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
I have some of those Tusq picks and on my guitars with my flatpicking style the tone on them varies from bad to awful!!!!! Far too hard and scratchy for me.

Tusq is like bone - and you don't see many folks raving about bone picks.

Conversely, I have some Vespel sheet and I don't think it would make a good nut material - too soft. It is easy to cut, file and sand - too easy to cut, file and sand to make a nut that would last. I expect that the plain strings would slice through it. And I think that the material would damp vibration transfer to the point where the open and fretted strings would be noticeably different in tone and volume. All this is a guess based on me having made Vespel picks as I have not actually made a nut from the stuff.
Interesting. Because of the claims of such durability, I assumed that the Vespel material was very hard. I don't generally equate durability and softer materials.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Interesting discussion. A few thoughts:

1) Vespel SP-1, the material BC uses, only comes in one color -- dark brown. It cannot be injection molded, as DuPont sells it only in stock shapes. It must be machine. Most nut and bridge materials are white. There are other grades of Vespel that ARE black, but they are even more expensive.

2) In general, most materials that make good nuts or bridges are not equally revered as picks. I'll leave Tusq picks to the side, but genuine bone makes a poor plectrum that wears extremely quickly. If someone is interested, I can explain why this is in another post.

3) I've never met a "perfect pick" material, ever, including my own stuff. Anyone who says that, IMHO, either hasn't played a lot of different pick materials, has an agenda or a vested interest, plays only one guitar, and/or plays only one kind of music. It's nonsense. Again, IMHO.

I've been playing forty years. I've played more materials that most people. I don't know a perfect material. If I had to choose one, it would be geniune tortoise shell, but we no longer kill these magnificent animals and for that I say amen.

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-16-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
i don't disagree with your thinking at all, however on this particular topic your credibility may be somewhat compromised by your forum name. I'd be much more likely to try your products if you took the high road and just said nice things about BCPs and then moved on.
Point taken, and to be clear, I am a big fan of Blue Chip picks! I use them from time to time and I'd highly recommend them. I think I came across the wrong way. I do agree the high road is the way to go. I like all kinds of materials, I just don't think there is a "best" pick material. I could and should have left it at that, live and learn
Old 11-26-2020, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Interesting. Because of the claims of such durability, I assumed that the Vespel material was very hard. I don't generally equate durability and softer materials.
Jim, if it was really hard, it would produce a lot of click pick. Yeah, it's strange but wonderful stuff.

sm
Old 11-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I really do like my BC TAD60 pick. It gives some of the nicest, easiest sounds I've ever gotten out of a pick.

In all honesty, I like my Dunlop Primetones almost as much as the BC. For me, the Primetones are the best value/quality pick I've ever tried.

Here lately I've been playing quite a bit with a deer antler pick I made earlier this year. Once I got the edges smoothed just right and the bevels to my liking, it has been a surprisingly good pick. It gives a really smooth response, and requires minimal effort. I plan on making a couple more.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:57 AM

If you make some picks for yourself, I suggest trying using Torlon 4203. I got a 1 ft. long rod of this from Drake plastics about 2 yrs. ago and have been making picks from this material at a cost of 3-4 dollars per pick.

https://drakeplastics.com/store/prod...rlon-4203-rod/

It looks like the price went up a little since I bought it. It seems to have all the qualities that people who love Bluechip describe. I don't own a Bluechip but I feel the way about picks made from this material as the Bluechip lovers seem to feel about BC
Old 11-27-2020, 11:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjs2000 View Post
If you make some picks for yourself, I suggest trying using Torlon 4203. I got a 1 ft. long rod of this from Drake plastics about 2 yrs. ago and have been making picks from this material at a cost of 3-4 dollars per pick.

https://drakeplastics.com/store/prod...rlon-4203-rod/

It looks like the price went up a little since I bought it. It seems to have all the qualities that people who love Bluechip describe. I don't own a Bluechip but I feel the way about picks made from this material as the Bluechip lovers seem to feel about BC
Smart move on your part. Torlon is an excellent Vespel knock-off, and you can usually snag some remnants on eBay for real cheap.

A word to the wise on Torlon though. We tested it about four years ago. It does not have the rigidity of Vespel, so picks below 1.0 mm have far too much flex and will not return to zero deflection if bent.

Short history (that I alone probably find fascinating). Vespel was invented by DuPont in 1965. It was the first plastic of its kind. Since then the engineers at all the big DOD contractors -- Boeing, Lockheed, Northrup, etc. -- spec in Vespel in their blueprints BY NAME. As a result, DuPont has had the industry locked up for 50 years. Over the decades every major petro-chemical company in the world has come out with their own Vespel substitute. To garner any marketshare at all, most of them, including Torlon, have had to price their product at least 50% cheaper.

Class dismissed.

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-27-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

If I ever purchased one of those really expensive picks, I'd have a bracelet made with a secure hinged locket on it in the shape of the pick, put my pick in there, and know that most likely I wouldn't lose the bracelet.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-27-2020, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

BC's are worth it.
Charmed Life Casein triangles with grip holes also are worth it.

My favorite medium to slow tempo, hybrid picking technique BC is this round one.

Makes any guitar sound dramatically better.

Old 11-28-2020, 04:40 AM

Tippy 5: I love this shape too! It is one of my favorites. Perfect for both guitar and mandolin.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:06 AM

It’s the Everlasting Gobstopper of picks
IMG_4009.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion