The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2020, 10:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I have to say the aged antique natural finish on the new MB looks fantastic. Hopefully the tone matches.

I finally saw one of these (new Masterbilt Texan) in a local store this weekend.

I thought the finish looked great. The back, sides, and neck did not have a thick poly look or feel at all. It looked more like a VOS finish. There was some shine. It wasn't as rustic looking/feeling as my old A500-RENS model.

The top looked like a nicely aged guitar from the 60's.

The fretboard is listed as Indian Laurel on the website, but I've also seen it listed as Pau Ferro. This one had a nice rich and brown color (not chalky and pinkish like some PF fretboards I've seen).

The action was understandably high, so it was a bit of work to play. I was somewhat surprised by the Med-Jumbo frets. The radius, nut width, and neck thickness all felt fine. It was not skinny at all. It was definitely thicker than a typical 60's slim profile (which I believe is in the specs?).

The sound was more mid-focused than a Martin Dread. It was a little boxy compared to a Gibson J45 60's Style Original that was also in the store. As assume with some age though, it will only get better.

I'm very happy to have this option. I didn't like the Inspired by model at all and the Frampton model has a 1.62" nut...

And yes, I did struggle through "Yesterday" very quietly so no one would hear me in the store
Old 11-23-2020, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I saw the new models at NAMM in January and they all looked great. I'm not a fan of the big "E" on the pickguard, but that's a minor quibble.

sm
Old 11-23-2020, 02:16 PM

A DR-500MCE VS on CL caught my eye the other day and now I see this thread! The guy wants 450 for it which seems decent if the condition is good, right? Hopefully I can get it down a bit more too.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
A DR-500MCE VS on CL caught my eye the other day and now I see this thread! The guy wants 450 for it which seems decent if the condition is good, right? Hopefully I can get it down a bit more too.
Any luck in the negotiations?

sm
Old 11-28-2020, 12:30 PM

Smile DR-500MCE VS

My Epiphone DR 500 MCE was Born March 23 2016 in Indonesia. Was inspected, Pleked, & setup by tech. #9 In the USA. I purchased it from Sweetwater on July 6th 2016. They did their 55 point guitar inspection and shipped to me. The fit and finish was flawless I was blown away by the quality of this guitar for only $649.00. I played many guitars in the 17 years I performed in a Country & Western Band way back in the 70's, mostly Fender Electrics ( Strats & Tele's ) and an occasional Gibson Humming Bird or Martin D28 acoustic so I know the difference between quality and junk. My Epi came with D'Addario 11-52 strings. The bass E string height at the 12th fret was a hair under 7/64's. Haven't had to do any adjustments to the Neck or Saddle since I've owned it. I've used Extra Light PB Strings 11-47 and D'Addario Silk and Steel 11-47 strings.Except for a loss of a little volume and fullness never had a problem with string buzz or intonation. My string gauge of choice now are Custom Lights 11-52. Excellent Sound. At 72 years old I no longer play professionally, I play daily for my own enjoyment and sometimes volunteer singing and playing at Nursing homes . ( Before the COVID ). When I do play out or for family or friends I run the Esonic2 pre amp through a stereo PA system, sounds great. No Regrets my Epi DR500 and I have one thing in common.....We get better and better with AGE
Rick
Old 11-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Any luck in the negotiations?

sm
Well, I texted him asking if it was still for sale and what year it was built. He replied a bit later saying it was. I was planning on replying to set up a meeting to look at it but before I could, he texted again saying "U text me asking how old guitar is, and if it was still for sale, I told you and haven't heard nothing????"

This was only a couple of hours after he responded. So I decided that I wasn't going to deal with the guy cause he sounds a little off, but now I see he's lowered the price by fifty dollars!
Old 12-12-2020, 12:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxxon View Post
Well, I texted him asking if it was still for sale and what year it was built. He replied a bit later saying it was. I was planning on replying to set up a meeting to look at it but before I could, he texted again saying "U text me asking how old guitar is, and if it was still for sale, I told you and haven't heard nothing????"

This was only a couple of hours after he responded. So I decided that I wasn't going to deal with the guy cause he sounds a little off, but now I see he's lowered the price by fifty dollars!
Zax, probably a good call. We never know who's on the other end of the call on CL, etc.

I'm finding FB Marketplace has some good deals on all kinds of things, and often quicker response. I like it. Might look there periodically.

sm
Old 12-12-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
My only problems with Masterbilts is that every one I've played (admittedly only five or six) has a baseball bat of a neck. Very chunky and not comfortable to my hands - this coming from a bass player, no less.
I had an AJ45-ME and I currently have a DR500-MNS and they both have two of the slimmest, easiest-playing necks on any acoustic I've ever played short of an Ovation.

Great, great guitars. But I guess too competitive with the Gibson line...
Old 12-12-2020, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags View Post
I had an AJ45-ME and I currently have a DR500-MNS and they both have two of the slimmest, easiest-playing necks on any acoustic I've ever played short of an Ovation.

Great, great guitars. But I guess too competitive with the Gibson line...
I've heard rumors of that too.

Actually, I know two different people, unrelated to one another, both with Nashville connections, who happen to know the guy who designed the AJ-500M and other models. They really hit a home run and yes, there may have been some sibling rivalry.

scott
Old 04-12-2022, 06:56 AM

Just found this thread and read all of it!

I have an AJ500M that sounds amazing!

Looking to get/replace it with an EF500M or EF500R. Just want a different style and OMs are more comfortable than the AJ body.

How different are the necks and sound?

Is the body slimmer than the AJ more like an 000 and OM?

From reading around the EF500 has more bass than other OM style acoustics.

Last edited by ThePanda; 04-12-2022 at 07:01 AM. Reason: more details
Old 06-05-2022, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

There are 2 EF500s guitars currently listed in the classifieds.

I have a listing for a pristine AJ500MNA from 2004, the 1st year of production:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=647551
2020 Larrivee SD-40
2020 Larrivee LV-03
2015 Eastman AR372 Natural
2011 Fender Thinline Telecaster
(=O=}====:::
Old 06-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

There are 2 EF500s guitars currently listed in the classifieds.

I have a listing for a pristine AJ500MNA from 2004, the 1st year of production:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=647551
2020 Larrivee SD-40
2020 Larrivee LV-03
2015 Eastman AR372 Natural
2011 Fender Thinline Telecaster
(=O=}====:::
Old 06-16-2022, 11:42 AM

Never owned one, but I had a bandmate that had one that I played quite a bit. It was a fantastic sounding box for the money. Having had a great experience with that guitar, every time I see one in a guitar shop now I have to pick it up and play it. More often than not, it's the best sounding guitar in its price range in the store.

-J

'93 Martin 000-16
'98 Gibson F-5
'02 Gibson A-9 (for sale)
'93 Larrivee L-50
Old 06-16-2022, 06:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Just found this thread and read all of it!

I have an AJ500M that sounds amazing!

Looking to get/replace it with an EF500M or EF500R. Just want a different style and OMs are more comfortable than the AJ body.

How different are the necks and sound?

Is the body slimmer than the AJ more like an 000 and OM?

From reading around the EF500 has more bass than other OM style acoustics.
The AJ-500M is the cream of the crop. I would NOT sell that thing if you can afford to keep it financially. The early years were the best ones, and word has been out on them for 15 years now. They used to be easy to find; now they are not. People know how good they are, and they're hanging on to them. The good ones (I have two) go straight up against a J-45.

I did not like the EF-500 I had, but I confess I'm not an OM guy. If you still have the AJ-500M, I'd strongly recommend you hang onto it if you buy an EF-500, then compare them. I found it very thin, and I'm not crazy about the electronics. YMMV.

Scott Memmer
Old 06-17-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
The AJ-500M is the cream of the crop. I would NOT sell that thing if you can afford to keep it financially. The early years were the best ones, and word has been out on them for 15 years now. They used to be easy to find; now they are not. People know how good they are, and they're hanging on to them. The good ones (I have two) go straight up against a J-45.

I did not like the EF-500 I had, but I confess I'm not an OM guy. If you still have the AJ-500M, I'd strongly recommend you hang onto it if you buy an EF-500, then compare them. I found it very thin, and I'm not crazy about the electronics. YMMV.

Scott Memmer
I have a 2006 (I think) AJ-500M and I agree it is a fantastic guitar ... that I bought for a fantastic price used and that included the original case.

I have a chance to get a 2007 DR-500RE ... but it would cost about 50 percent more without a case. Really it's the same guitar but with solid rosewood back and sides and in a different body style and with a pickup, which I would seldom use. I'd like to have it as I have no guitar with solid rosewood back and sides ... but money is tight for me (and a few billion others) so I'm hesitant to buy it.

Sigh ...
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion