The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 05:20 PM

Default Help me decide: Alvarez AP66SHB or PRS SE P20

I am a 56 year old woman with a permanent right shoulder issue (if it matters, I am a lefty playing right handed). I am maybe at the advanced beginner stage of playing. Played ukulele for a year and guitar now for about 3 months - just strumming.

My husband's Fender CC-60S hurts my shoulder some, so I ended up with a Yamaha APTX2 which I play plugged in. It's 3" deep and very comfortable. I keep it in the main room with the amp, but would like a guitar that has a better acoustic sound to play in my "art" room during the day that I can just pick up anytime and learn some fingerstyle on. The APTX2 sounds just fine plugged in, but honestly, it's not at all good acoustically. I'd say the style of music I like to play best is Eagles/America/ELO/70's soft folk rock.

I looked at the Taylor GS mini because of its popularity, but was somewhat put off by the rounded back/depth, which is even deeper than the Fender. I ran into a thread here where a bunch of people liked their Alvarez AP66s better than the Minis, so I headed off in that direction. However, for pure looks, man, I love the PRS SE P20. I've seen videos on youtube that make the PRS sound wonderful, and others where it sounds like a tin can. With Covid, and my husband being a heart patient, I can't get out to compare. I suppose I should throw the Alvarez AMP660SHB (the 14 fret version) in the lineup since it's about the same scale length (24.8) as the PRS (24.72). The AP66 is 24. I don't know if I have an opinion on the nut width, since I've only played 1 11/16. and it seems fine since I have small hands. The PRS is 1 11/16", and the Alvarez models are 1 3/4."

Has anyone heard the Alvarez and the PRS to do an A/B comparison? I'd appreciate any opinions.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 PM

Can’t speak to the PRS P20 never played one. But, as you can see in my sig I have 2 Alvarez acoustics, and have played the Alvarez parlors, specifically the AP66 and it is a very sweet little guitar.

I also have right shoulder issues (arthritis) and have found I have to play with a strap even seated to elevate the discomfort. If your looking at fingerstyle you will find the wider 1 3/4 nut width and string spacing easier to navigate.

Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

Chris
Old 11-28-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I bought the PRS parlor guitar several months ago on the strength of the internet/YouTube reviews. I’m disappointed. The action was too high for me and I had to pay for a set-up. To my ear, it sounds terrible, like a plastic guitar. Plugged in, it sounds better but the the bass strings seem louder than the treble. I’m sorry to say that I can’t recommend one.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've never played the PRS, but I have the sunburst version of the AP66. It plays nicely and doesn't have any of that "boxy" sound you can get with smaller guitars.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-29-2020, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've never played the PRS, but I have the sunburst version of the AP66. It plays nicely and doesn't have any of that "boxy" sound you can get with smaller guitars.

This matches my experience.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-29-2020, 02:56 AM

I played 2 of the PRS earlier this year in a shop and was disappointed. Wanted to try an AP66 or even more a MAP66 but could not find one.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-29-2020, 04:52 AM

I also can’t speak to the PRS, but I bought the Alvarez AP66ESHB to go along with my Eastman OM. I was looking for something smaller, with laminate back and sides, that I could leave out, play on the couch, take places with me, without having to worry about it. It’s a great little guitar. I also looked at the MAP66, but I wanted to try a 12 fret slot head. I picked up mine used from Ithaca Guitar Works.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 11-29-2020, 05:32 AM

Alvarez. Brilliant little guitar.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:18 AM

My sig shows that I have a soft spot for Alvarez guitars.
I’ve played a few of the PRS acoustics and they sound good.
However, there is something missing. I can’t put my finger on what. That intangible “it” hasn’t been present in the PRS acoustics I’ve played.
You’ll likely love the Alvarez.
That said, consider also trying a Journey Instruments OF410 or 420.
The Overhead series of guitars are a bit unorthodox. But I love my OF660.
The body is around the size of a single-0. The scale is a full 24 inches.
But for your shoulder, the body has a Manzer wedge. It’s narrower at the top as it would sit in your lap.
The design evens out the tone, but it’s very easy on the arm and shoulder. And it makes a great couch guitar.
The carbon fiber model is twice as costly, however, it also has an arm bevel that makes that side of the guitar even narrower.
The company also makes a RT (Road trip) series that does not include the removable neck.
My Overhead guitar sits next to my favorite chair thru the dry season, and a lot of the rest of the year so I can just pick it up and play.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 11-29-2020, 01:57 PM

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I will cross off the lovely PRS because tone is certainly more important than looks. I will take a look at the Journey Overhead models. I am an overthinker, so any recommendations add 2 hours to my decision making process. Gotta go watch YouTube videos and read reviews.

This forum is such a great and welcoming place. I managed global moderation for years for one of the big corporate forum software companies, and still admin for a forum like this (except financial), and have rarely seen such a well-cared for (by mods and members) space as this one is.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

FWIW, I have and love the AP70. They say "parlor" but these are 00-sized instruments. I keep it nearby so I can grab it anytime. Note that most of these models will need a setup even if brand new. But these are inexpensive instruments and on mine the action was a wee bit too high. After the setup, it's perfect - so for me the extra $75 was very worth it.

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion