The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 11-11-2020, 09:00 AM

Default Headphone Reccomendations

I find myself playing my strat headphoned up more often than not, and am looking to upgrade my headphones. Currently using a $30 pair of studio headphones from Amazon, linked below. I don't necessarily have any complaints with them, but I feel like that's due more to naivete then anything. Thinking an upgrade would be worth the investment. Looking at something around the $100 mark. Any suggestions?

FWIW, I play a G&L Legacy Tribute through a Boss Katana 50 MkII.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-11-2020, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

I've used the Sony MDR-7506 headphones for decades now, with great success... I use them for recording on a little home unit, with my computer for sound, with my Tascam DR-05 digital recorder, with my stereo, etc...

Only time I used them with an electric guitar was with either a Rockman (WAY back when!) and one of the first POD units... worked very well...

The Sony's are not the "best", but they have a very even, predictable tone-scape, adn I've learned how something will sound "out in the room" with them - usually I've boosting the bass a bit - and they perform very well...

~$100, + or -...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-11-2020, 03:05 PM

I've been using AKG K240 studio headphones for mixing, monitoring and serious listening for over a decade. Very accurate and with the semi-open design they're comfortable to wear for extended periods. Amazon currently has them for a good price: https://www.amazon.com/AKG-K240STUDI...ag=googhydr-20

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-11-2020, 03:19 PM

The two already recommended upthread (AKG K240 and the Sony 7506) are classics in this price range, and were the cans recommended for producers at the large radio network I once worked for too.

I also use the Sennheiser HD280 when tracking. They are quite sound isolating, which helps if you have other audio in the room the might leak past the seal of the earcups and mix in with the audio you intend to monitor and they also don't leak sound the sound you are monitoring into the microphone if you're doing vocal overdubs.

Comfort is a factor if you plan to wear them a lot, but there head shapes/sizes differ and maybe even ear shapes, and that makes it hard to tell which you'd prefer in that department

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-11-2020, 07:24 PM

I'll also recommend the AKG K240's, I've got some that I purchased in the mid seventies for recording monitoring film and studio, they're still great.
Another good name is Sennheiser, either brand and you're doing good.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:15 AM

I've used a few different kinds of headphones that sounded great but messed with my vocal intonation. AKG 240's are fine in that regard, for me at least.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN