The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Bonding with a carbon fiber guitar

When I’ve purchased and played a wooden guitar, over time I’ve bonded with them. I feel like at the best of times, we are one. It feels alive to me.

However, like humans, wooden guitars can be temperamental.

Have you bonded with your carbon fiber guitar? I love the idea of a stable, sturdy guitar, yet will I miss the way a guitar changes with age? Does your carbon fiber guitar feel alive?

I suppose on a deeper level everything is alive.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 11-19-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

You bring up an excellent topic. I have several Emeralds that I like a lot for a lot of different reasons, but I have to admit I feel more "bonded" to my SCGC and Martin wood guitars. That 'ol....if I could have only one, it would be the SCGC. And it's wood.

Looking forward to see what others say....
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
When I’ve purchased and played a wooden guitar, over time I’ve bonded with them. I feel like at the best of times, we are one. It feels alive to me.

Have you bonded with your carbon fiber guitar? I love the idea of a stable, sturdy guitar, yet will I miss the way a guitar changes with age? Does your carbon fiber guitar feel alive?

You don’t have to miss anything. Have both in your life and enjoy the best of both worlds I say. I am in waiting for a RainSong, and can’t offer you any direct experience on what they are like to own.

I will never be without a high quality wooden guitar. However, I wanted to add the flexibility of an “on the stand at all times” guitar to augment my guitar experience...i.e: have that ability to just walk on by and pick it up easily for a quick noodle without having to de-case, haul out my humidipaks, haul out my SensorPush sensors, the reverse of all this, etc...This was my primary purpose for adding a CF guitar...When I truly want the all wood experience I can do that too, and because I don’t have a thousand wooden guitars the few I will have won’t be that much of a pain to manage. If one has a bunch of different guitars I can easily see the practical appeal of a carbon fiber ownership only approach that some around here have gone to.

I also used this RainSong purchase as an opportunity to add in a different sized guitar, gain a cutaway, get some electronics in there etc...i.e.: adding some versatility I won’t have in my Yamaha...

Having said all this, it would seem that these CF guitars are so good now that they can easily serve as a complete replacement for wood guitars. There are a few around here that have done that too...

Best of luck

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

My Journey OF 660 and Emerald X7 nylon were purchased specifically for travel. I am using my Emerald around the house, on the back porch, and for local guitar lessons as well. I’ve bonded with it because of its tone and playability- the fact that it is impervious to temperature and humidity changes is now just gravy.
If it had a wider nut it could be my only guitar.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Emeralds (at least most of them) are fantastic guitars, period. You can compare them to wood of any age and you'll know from the first strum you've got a great sounding guitar. That, and with their contours, they're the most comfortable guitar to play in my opinion too. Like wood guitars, not every Emerald has "it", but most of them do. Other CF guitars I've played and owned didn't.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

They're less alive only in the sense that they won't "open up" or change over time. As the carbon fibers are impervious to humidity and temperature, they've impervious to the effect of millions of vibrations passing through them as well, or at least I assume they are. I've bonded at least as much with my X7 as I have with my Martin 000-15SM. I liked them both from the first chords played on them. The X7 is as resonant as any guitar I've played - I feel the vibrations through my belly as much as with any guitar (other than much larger ones). I will not (or should not) change over time as much as I assume my Martin will, but I don't want it too - I like it too much as it is. I love the Martin as is too and don't need it to change or "play in", but if it does mellow a bit over the years, that'll be fine too.

I love them both equally, but differently. They don't sound the same, but they both sound incredible. Each time I play one I think, "this is the greatest sounding guitar I could ever want" and then I play the other one and feel the same way. They top each other seemingly every time I pick one up. If I had to choose just one, it would be the X7 because all else being equally great, the advantages of carbon fiber are just too much to ignore. Life is much easier and less complicated with one great carbon fiber guitar than with one great wood guitar.

-Ray
Old 11-19-2019, 01:01 PM

I admit that, although my padauk X30 is a wonderguitar of miracles, and always my go-to for gigging in any adverse condition, and a delight to play... i end up playing my wood guitars more. something about bonding.

Orrrrrr I just play whatever is shiniest/newest at the time. Time will tell I guess.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:47 PM

If you love the way it sounds and the way it plays, you'll bond with it.

I have never "bonded" to going out-of-tune, sounding muffled in high humidity, fret sprout in low humidity, or needing constant neck tinkering. With CF, I don't even have to try.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Guitar break-in is perceived to be akin to the golden fleece, but let's face it, it's a crap shoot. It may happen or it may not happen. If/when it happens, it may be an improvement or not. A common AGF refrain is to buy a guitar based on the tone when you buy it and not based on what it may sound like sometime in the future.

I liked the tone of most but not all of my previous wooden guitars. I like the tone of all of my carbon fiber guitars so it doesn't matter that they'll sound the same down the road. As for bonding with a carbon fiber guitar, I'm not sure why that would be any different. To me, bonding is a combination of playability, looks, tone and a certain undefinable something. If one or more of the components is missing then you're less likely to bond with a guitar regardless of the material used to build it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-19-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 PM

I've said this before so I guess I will say it again; different tools for differing needs.

I love wood and have a Martin D Jr. (all sapele and all solid). It isn't about the cost or perceived value- especially when someone else judges it. I hear, "it is just me or is that guitar small?". Well, it's a travel guitar...so yeah, it's smallish. Still feels like an OM that sounds like a diminished dreadnought. Oh yeah, it is a diminished dreadnought LOL. What a killer little guitar. I have never picked up a $500 guitar that I liked more and I've played a lot of them. It looks, sounds and even smells great. I've learned to never say never but i think this will become an old friend, and irreplaceable like one.

I've yet to hear a CF that has the "sweetness' of a good Martin, but I totally appreciate what these guitars offer. I'm active on the subforum because I'm sold on the concept. I think CF shines for travel and for stage. I love how they cut through a mix both acoustically and plugged in. CF also makes way for contouring and i appreciate their futuristic approach. Who can't bond with that? They also don't need to be babysat.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 PM

I almost bonded permanently with my CA OX when I was installing a K&K mini pickup.. darn super glue... does this count?
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-19-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I almost bonded permanently with my CA OX when I was installing a K&K mini pickup.. darn super glue... does this count?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post

I've bonded with my new Emerald X-20's tone and feel and I've only had it three weeks! I'm very pleased with this guitar!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-19-2019, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I sure think it is possible to bond with any instrument, carbon fiber or wood. I feel like I am more bonded with my Emeralds - great sound and playability, with the added bonus that all those wonderful curves and bevels feels like it is hugging me back.

Well, there goes my tough-guy captain persona.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I think we can close the thread now - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber