The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-02-2019, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Alvarez AAT25TSB Slim Jazz

Just bought one of these at a huge discount, brand new. However, the string spacing is incredibly tight. There is a bit of room on each edge of the fingerboard and I'm thinking of bringing it to my regular guitar tech to have him make a new nut but.... I'm afraid if I do that I will also need a new floating bridge as the roller assemblies are not adjustable side to side. Does anyone have experience with this model and if so, did you find the spacing really tight? FWIW, I have owned Gibson and Guild archtops and none of them had this issue. Nut width is 1 11/16's
Old 11-02-2019, 12:14 PM

I wouldn't worry about it - I've seen it done with non-roller TOM bridge guitars, with no complaints from the owner; if it's a source of concern and/or you want extra spacing at the bridge end as well, try a wooden bridge (available from StewMac for about $20) and have your tech slot it to your specs - as long as you keep the strings fairly well-centered above the pole pieces you'll be OK, and IME it'll sound better to boot...
Old 11-04-2019, 12:14 PM

The string spacing is certainly already wider at the bridge, so I doubt you'll have any issues.

Wasn't familiar with that model, looks cool. There's really nothing like a decent single P90 hollowbody

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops