The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
I ran across a Steve Goodman song I wasn't familiar with. Kind of a humorous novelty song, but well crafted just the same. Brings back a few memories to those of us of a certain age as well.

Yeah, that's a fun one. The best line: "So I can eat my eggs off the president's face."

BTW, I'm almost positive he co-wrote this with Michael Smith ("The Dutchman"), with whom he wrote a number of catchy novelty tunes, including "Elvis Imitators" and "Talk Backwards."

Here's a vid of "Talk Backwords." Really a fun song.

For you young pups out there, if you've never heard of Steve Goodman you should check him out. He was John Prine's best friend until he died of leukemia in 1984. He was a heckuva fine picker, a hilarious entertainer, along with being the composer of "City of New Orleans," maybe the best train song ever written.

scott memmer
Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 AM

I was not aware of Steve Goodman until about two years ago when I stumbled on a live recording of "My Old Man". What a simple but gorgeous song. The way Steve played was impressive as he just seemed to be so comfortable on stage. I am trying to be more like that but it's a skill that's difficult to master.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Never was fortunate enough to have met Steve or see him live, but he's definitely one of my all-time favorites. I've been playing Vegematic, 3-Legged Man, and a number of his other songs for years at my gigs.

My Mom was from Chicago and grew up ice skating--Old Smoothies was always her favorite...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I was not aware of Steve Goodman until about two years ago when I stumbled on a live recording of "My Old Man". What a simple but gorgeous song. The way Steve played was impressive as he just seemed to be so comfortable on stage. I am trying to be more like that but it's a skill that's difficult to master.
Petty, IMHO, "My Old Man" is his best song, even better than "City of New Orleans," which is VERY high praise. It is actually John Prine's favorite song of Steve's. He performs it on rare occasions.

For those who've never seen this gorgeous song, it's just about impossible to listen to it without getting a tear, whether you've lost a father or not.

And that's a very astute observation about Steve. I don't think I've seen anyone look more comfortable on stage, or love performing, more than Steve Goodman. It was his domain, and he was truly in his element.

Enjoyed your post,

scott
Old 10-04-2018, 01:44 AM

I'm remember reading once (probably in Eals' bio) that someone once said Goodman looked so diminutive when he took the stage, but after his first number he looked like a giant...that was true...

And Scott, I don't know how I missed your question about the FB page. Sorry, but I don't know whose page it is...

btw, there was a celebration/concert in Cali a few months back commemorating what would have been his 70th birthday...never read any reports after the fact...would've been great if Prine was there...

And another thing! Re: "My Old Man". He was in Cincinnati for a show (Bogart's) and woke up later that night in his hotel room w/that song. The version on the album is the first take. The pause late in the track is him getting choked up...
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
I'm remember reading once (probably in Eals' bio) that someone once said Goodman looked so diminutive when he took the stage, but after his first number he looked like a giant...that was true...

And Scott, I don't know how I missed your question about the FB page. Sorry, but I don't know whose page it is...

btw, there was a celebration/concert in Cali a few months back commemorating what would have been his 70th birthday...never read any reports after the fact...would've been great if Prine was there...

And another thing! Re: "My Old Man". He was in Cincinnati for a show (Bogart's) and woke up later that night in his hotel room w/that song. The version on the album is the first take. The pause late in the track is him getting choked up...
That take of "My Old Man" you mentioned is just about my favorite track of everything he recorded. So real and authentic. I'm glad they left that pause in.

What a guy.

scott memmer
Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post

Try doing a performance like this while you're fighting leukemia.

I was lucky enough to see him twice. My all time favorite performer, even all these years later.
I couldn't play that if I were perfectly healthy. Good Lord, he was somethin'.

scott memmer
Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 AM

Yeah, his hands just danced on a guitar...and after he'd just explode on a tune he'd stand there looking a little embarrassed, like he didn't want/expect the attention...one of a kind...
Old 11-16-2018, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Holy Crap! Holy Crap! Holy Crap!!!

That's got to be the show where I saw Steve sing ''City of New Orleans'' with Arlo! Right place, right year and season. I really don't remember who else played or anything except ''City of N O'' but it was a great day!

''Red, Red, Robin'' was Steve's traditional opener; just come out and blow the doors off of the place!!
Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Holy Crap! Holy Crap! Holy Crap!!!

That's got to be the show where I saw Steve sing ''City of New Orleans'' with Arlo! Right place, right year and season. I really don't remember who else played or anything except ''City of N O'' but it was a great day!

''Red, Red, Robin'' was Steve's traditional opener; just come out and blow the doors off of the place!!
Yes, Stevie usually opened with either "Red, Red Robin" or "It's a Sin to Tell a Lie." Just wow.

Scott Memmer
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

A bump for the best guitarist and entertainer I ever saw live.

If you ever did, you wouldn't forget it the rest of your life.

Other "Chicago Shorty" fans out there?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-18-2019, 03:48 PM

I "discovered" Goodman on YouTube. Ran across a video of him doing the Chicago Cubs song, and was intrigued. I followed up with more videos including ones of Prine, Kristoferson and others recollecting about him and his life story. What an amazing man he was, and very sad he had such a short time to live. But I suppose his knowing that was one of the things that drove him to create so much. That video of him singing an impromptu song about the broken sting really sums up his genius.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
I "discovered" Goodman on YouTube. Ran across a video of him doing the Chicago Cubs song, and was intrigued. I followed up with more videos including ones of Prine, Kristoferson and others recollecting about him and his life story. What an amazing man he was, and very sad he had such a short time to live. But I suppose his knowing that was one of the things that drove him to create so much. That video of him singing an impromptu song about the broken sting really sums up his genius.
Just a stunning live solo performer, the best I've ever seen. I've talked to a number of people who saw Steve live in concert, and to this day almost every one of them will tell you he was the best they ever saw. Tremendous energy and humor.

Here's Prine with a hilarious song intro about Steve.

sm
Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Just found this site full of info about Steve;

http://steve-goodman.hegewisch.net/good.html

Now here's something I had forgotten about;

http://steve-goodman.hegewisch.net/vin.jpg

Vin Scelsa was a free form DJ in NYC. I listened almost every Sunday morning and now I'm starting to remember listened to a couple of those Easter shows with Steve.

How about this pic of Steve and Jimmy Bufffett;

Old 02-18-2019, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Just found this site full of info about Steve;

http://steve-goodman.hegewisch.net/good.html

Now here's something I had forgotten about;

http://steve-goodman.hegewisch.net/vin.jpg

Vin Scelsa was a free form DJ in NYC. I listened almost every Sunday morning and now I'm starting to remember listened to a couple of those Easter shows with Steve.

How about this pic of Steve and Jimmy Bufffett;

Wonderful photo, thanks so much. I believe I've been on that website before, but will recheck it.

So many ironies about Steve and his career.

I'll give you the short version, which I've probably shared somewhere earlier in this thread, or other Goodman threads. I'm a total Goodman nut. Sure wish I could play like him.

Anyway, back in the seventies, before the Margaritaville thing exploded, Buffett was just a broke folksinger. He was so poor, he used to sleep on the sofa in Steve's apartment.

Flash forward forty years, and JB now has a net worth of roughly $200 million. It's my understanding that, after John Prine, Jimmy was Steve's closest friend.

Had he lived, Steve would most likely be a multi-millionaire. He would have had first right of refusal to become Jimmy's bandleader and partner in crime. In fact, Steve was so good he could open the show solo and knock 'em right out of their seats.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN