The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Mahogany Taylor 8 string baritone

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitar...pecial-edition

Oh man, just when I thought my GAS was subsiding!

I played Guild’s remarkably affordable 8 string baritone at Manchester Music Mill and loved it; I can’t really justify another expensive guitar, but this Taylor looks sweet. The Guild is only around $600, so maybe I can show some restraint. Would still love to get my hands on the Taylor though.
Old 06-04-2023, 05:47 PM

I have the Guild 8 string baritone and really like it.
Couldn't justify the price of the Taylor.
Very happy with my choice.
Old 06-04-2023, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I've been thinking about a baritone, but I would have no idea what to do with two more strings.

I'll keep my eye out for a 6-stringer.

Edit to admit my ignorance: I just looked at the Taylor, and I get it now. That is a very cool guitar.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

When I played the Guild, the bass was amazing - not at all anemic, despite it being a laminate back and sides guitar. I’m sure the huge body helps. And the way the chime of the octave strings over that bass was just gorgeous. I imagine Taylor has their own take on this, but yeah, it’s hard to justify an almost $2000 price difference.

Maybe I’m talking myself into getting the Guild. If I can hold out until Black Friday I can probably get one on sale….
Old 06-04-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I've been thinking about a baritone, but I would have no idea what to do with two more strings.

I'll keep my eye out for a 6-stringer.

Edit to admit my ignorance: I just looked at the Taylor, and I get it now. That is a very cool guitar.
Indeed. Octave strings.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:48 AM

I have the 326e Baritone-8 LTD that came out a few years ago... super versatile guitar, great way to get a bit of that 12 string sound on an accessible neck and you can always cheat with a capo to bring it to/toward standard.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD136 View Post
I have the 326e Baritone-8 LTD that came out a few years ago... super versatile guitar, great way to get a bit of that 12 string sound on an accessible neck and you can always cheat with a capo to bring it to/toward standard.
Sounds like a great guitar. But I’m wondering what the difference between these and the newly announced Taylors is - Taylor made it sound like these new ones had different woods, but looks like that’s not actually the case.
Old 06-05-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Sounds like a great guitar. But I’m wondering what the difference between these and the newly announced Taylors is - Taylor made it sound like these new ones had different woods, but looks like that’s not actually the case.
The new one has V class bracing, soundport cutaway, and mahogany back/sides... the old one has X bracing, no cutaway, and Tasmanian blackwood back/sides. Personally, I prefer blackwood over mahogany in the 3 series I've played/owned over the years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion