The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-14-2020, 08:16 PM

Default UPS another low

Wow I cant believe this
I shipped a guitar folks from Canada UPS to be delivered to Virginia
DOuble boxed guitar with lots of packing including at bottom and top of guitar double foam , cardboard and also plastic air bubble wrap

Guitar shipped was mint like new not a scratch
I get a picture from buyer tonite and there is a 7 inch crack on top of guitar and the kicker is there is NO PACKING inside the guitar

Im thinking UPS effed up here and are trying to cover by saying no packing which is ludicrous

Unreal
Old 08-14-2020, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Just speculating - I wonder if the US Customs station at the port of entry may have selected the package for additional inspection. Perhaps they opened it and neglected to return all of the original packing material upon completion. I don't believe it's common practice for them to open an item for inspection, but suspect that it does happen. Not sure if they mark it as having been opened for inspection if this is the case (e.g., US Customs tape on the outside).

Sorry to hear that your shipment ended up this way, regardless of how. I hope you're able to reach a satisfactory resolution for all parties.

Austin
Iris DF Smeck | Lakewood M-32 | Gibson J-35 | Lakewood M-14 | Martin 000-15M | Lowden F-25 | Huss & Dalton Singletree Banjo | Brunner Outdoor Guitar | Composite Acoustics Cargo | Taylor GS Cocobolo Limited | Cole Clark UL-1 Uke | Godin Exit-22
Old 08-14-2020, 09:03 PM

I always recommend taking pictures at stages during the packing - start to finish - and sending them to the seller so they see exactly how you packed it and what the box should look like when it is delivered.
You can also use those pictures to back up any claim.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-14-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I always recommend taking pictures at stages during the packing - start to finish - and sending them to the seller so they see exactly how you packed it and what the box should look like when it is delivered.
You can also use those pictures to back up any claim.
Absolutely agree with this!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:24 AM

oh man,, this is unbelievable..

and I thought the Post Office had a lot of screws loose.

just aint right..
Old 08-19-2020, 09:22 AM

I would suspect that Customs is at fault. Whenever they open something to inspect it, re-packing the item correctly is not their highest priority. I once sent scuba gear packed inside a wheeled cooler for protection and easy transport on the other end. They could not figure out how to release the latches, so used a crowbar and just broke them. At least they taped the lid shut again afterward. Still I wish you luck with your fully justified damage claim. I might also pursue a claim with US Customs in addition to UPS - it is hard to imagine why UPS would open the parcel up.

TSA has been a problem for the Case Extreme clam shell system. TSA agents open it up to inspect, then just toss the foam "bones" loosely back in the shell, leaving the guitar case to bounce around without proper restraint. http://www.casextreme.com/index.php
Old 08-19-2020, 10:43 AM

I'll join in thinking it's customs. At work, we've even found it to be far more reliable to send a person whatever fragile item as baggage. That way, if it gets opened at customs, they can repack it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic