The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2020, 08:06 PM

Default Fishman ToneDeq strange issue

Hi All!

I’m wondering if anyone has any input or experience with this issue I’m having. My ToneDeq is less than a year old and lives on my pedalboard, which is in a hard case whenever I’m not playing it.

At a gig last week, I was getting some static with very faint acoustic guitar coming through. I stopped using my entire board for the rest of the night. At home, I narrowed it down to the ToneDeq. Both alone and within the effect signal chain, my guitar is static-y and weak unless the “chorus” effect is engaged. Once I turn on the chorus, the ToneDeq’s reverb and boost both function as normal and my guitar signal is perfect. Just a quick note, I tested my 1/4 inch cables including my patch cables, and they are fully operational.

So, in summary, while the pedal is totally off but still in my signal chain, my signal is weak and static-y. If I engage the chorus, it’s perfect! When I disengage the chorus, it returns to static-y. Help! Thank you!
Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 PM

Hey Kule. Sorry your having issues with that. Have you checked the input trim level? I realize that it is recessed on this unit but you can still accidentally/inadvertently move it. If it is too low it may not be pushing your signal hot enough, too high and you might be clipping and thus the static-y sound. Just something to consider, you are already doing the right thing by testing cables first.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:30 AM

I guess it is not shocking to say I think it is broken and needs to go back to Fishman.

On the off case that the guts are really a small computer that needs to be reset (seems unlikely), if you've got a battery in the ToneDeq remove it and the power supply connection for a minute and test it again.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-14-2020, 05:59 AM

Thanks to both of you guys. Steel, the trim level remains were it was, somewhere around 12:00ish. Jon, thanks for the suggestion. I believe I have an old useless battery in there, although I run it off a voodoo labs iso 5. I have tried disconnecting that for a few minutes, but not pulled the battery. I anticipated having to send it back to fishman...I’m just optimistic that I can avoid that with maybe something simple that I’m missing. Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 AM

I have a ToneDeq and I found it has to be first in the chain to work properly because its input is high Mohm for acoustic guitar. Also always remove the battery when on a power supply. Other pedals I've had left a battery in messed with the signal too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification