The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Speaking of Fretboard Journal, has anyone received an issue since the one with Colin Meloy on the cover? I got a subscription for my b'day in January, received that issue soon after, but nothing since. Not sure if they are covid delayed or ?? I keep meaning to call or email them.
There is a long history (much of it documented in older topics here on AGF) about the sporadic nature of FJ release frequency and dates. If you have a subscription the best thing to do is chill and enjoy that Publisher Jason Verlinde is doing the utmost to deliver a top shelf quality product for his subscribers.

Jason does take the "no wine before it's time" route, and crafts the magazine to be the very best product he can offer. I do much prefer that approach to simply cranking them out on a specific schedule and having issues filled with articles that are simply re-hashed older fluff that you can pick up on the web or from other sources.

FJ was much more regular in nature in the earlier years, but that was most likely due to having a very broad range of "new material" to choose from. Jason's approach seems to be more selective in nature, going with a quality over quantity viewpoint.

As has been stated in the past, FJ subscriptions are based on numbers of issues, not timelines, so you will most definitely get what you signed up for.

FJ is well worth the wait!

Here's the rundown for issue #45 for those unfamiliar with what to expect in FJ content:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...-whats-inside/
Old 08-14-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Regarding Acoustic Guitar magazine, even though they have reduced the publication schedule to 6 per year, the quality has improved IMHO in terms of content and quantity of good articles, songs, techniques, and tips. They are really working hard to provide a quality magazine and their online site is pretty good too. I subscribe to both AG and FJ. I feel it supports our guitar community.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-14-2020, 08:52 AM

Dropped Acoustic Guitar magazine some time ago.

After my initial, reduced rate, trial subscription had expired, the price they wanted to renew my subscription was outrageous. Something on the order of 5x the trial rate.

I don't recall the amount but, it was enough to prompt me to e-mail them to voice my displeasure at the, IMO, exorbitant rate increase, the wrote back to inform me that they would offer me a reduced rate. That pissed me off and I promptly declined.

The way I see it, if you could afford to offer me a reduced rate only after I complained, why not just be forthright from the beginning and offer me the reduced rate? To me, it's another form of price gouging, trying to see how much you can squeeze out of the consumer.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Anybody remember Frets Magazine? IIRC it was a companion to Guitar Player magazine, which is still active, and was published from 1979 to 1989. I think it was much more devoted to tabs and stuff like that.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-14-2020, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Regarding Acoustic Guitar magazine, even though they have reduced the publication schedule to 6 per year, the quality has improved IMHO in terms of content and quantity of good articles, songs, techniques, and tips. They are really working hard to provide a quality magazine and their online site is pretty good too. I subscribe to both AG and FJ. I feel it supports our guitar community.
I would agree with this. Acoustic guitar Magazine has improved the quality of their content.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-14-2020, 12:20 PM

Fretboard Journal is a great journal. I have subscribed for years and have saved all the issues. Love going back to reread. Great quality of interviews, images and production.
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-14-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Anybody remember Frets Magazine? .....
I remember - and miss - Frets magazine from my serious acoustic playing re-start in the mid-80's. It would be nice if some of those old issues were still around, but they all went to a buddy before a big household move years ago. If there were something comparable still around, I would likely subscribe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
Dropped Acoustic Guitar magazine some time ago. After my initial, reduced rate, trial subscription had expired, the price they wanted to renew my subscription was outrageous. Something on the order of 5x the trial rate......
You could almost always call and get that reduced rate. What prompted me to drop them was right after I had renewed for two years, they kept sending additional renewal notices. I fell for one of them (my mistake) and had two issues coming for a while. It wasn't easy getting that straightened out.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:37 PM

duplicate post - duh!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
There is a long history (much of it documented in older topics here on AGF) about the sporadic nature of FJ release frequency and dates. If you have a subscription the best thing to do is chill and enjoy that Publisher Jason Verlinde is doing the utmost to deliver a top shelf quality product for his subscribers.

Jason does take the "no wine before it's time" route, and crafts the magazine to be the very best product he can offer. I do much prefer that approach to simply cranking them out on a specific schedule and having issues filled with articles that are simply re-hashed older fluff that you can pick up on the web or from other sources.

FJ was much more regular in nature in the earlier years, but that was most likely due to having a very broad range of "new material" to choose from. Jason's approach seems to be more selective in nature, going with a quality over quantity viewpoint.

As has been stated in the past, FJ subscriptions are based on numbers of issues, not timelines, so you will most definitely get what you signed up for.

FJ is well worth the wait!

Here's the rundown for issue #45 for those unfamiliar with what to expect in FJ content:

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...-whats-inside/
I agree wholeheartedly -- this is a wonderful magazine and one that's worth saving too. The value of print journalism must be really high for me to justify the environmental cost and this one totally does it.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:22 PM

I've been subscribing to Acoustic Guitar for a long time. Every time I think about dropping it, they have two or three articles that I enjoy. So, I keep renewing. But, magazines and print media in general is on the decline. If AG were to fold, I'd find a gear review, song lesson or artist profile on the 'net for no cost. I hope they can hang on as the revised version is better and going away from monthly is better for me as sometimes the new issue would arrive before I even looked at last months edition.

If you are new to guitar I would suggest you subscribe to check it out and as inspiration to play more each day. If it helps keep renewing, if not no harm in dropping it and moving along on your own.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
right after I had renewed for two years, they kept sending additional renewal notices. I fell for one of them (my mistake) and had two issues coming for a while. It wasn't easy getting that straightened out.
Quote:
duplicate post - duh!
I laughed.

Sorry.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:01 PM

I see what you did there. It was an unintentional pun on my part.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
You could almost always call and get that reduced rate. What prompted me to drop them was right after I had renewed for two years, they kept sending additional renewal notices. I fell for one of them (my mistake) and had two issues coming for a while. It wasn't easy getting that straightened out.
As I wrote later in my post, I was offered a reduced rate only AFTER I complained about the outrageous price increase.

As I see it, they were perfectly happy to take advantage of me until I complained. Not a good business model IMO.
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 08-15-2020, 07:31 AM

Getting back to the OP, yes get one. AG would be my recommendation but if starting from scratch then any of the them would be OK
Old 08-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Fretboard Journal, Acoustic Guitar Magazine, and Vintage Guitar Magazine are all worth reading!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion