The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Default K&K in Waterloo WL-14?

Anybody put one in theirs? I have a K&K in my Collings and have really happy with the sound I get. I have a Red Eye I'd run it though into PA for open mics. Just wondering how this little body guitar will do through a PA system. 100% finger style(no picks) with this guitar. Leave it acoustic and use my Collings or add a pick up to the Waterloo for blues finger style tunes?
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 08-09-2020, 06:20 PM

I have a K&K in my Waterloo WL-14X.....I am also a 100% fingerpick bare back player.

To me, the K&K is nice, too nice...it makes the Waterloo sound just like any other guitar with a K&K. But it is only half the journey.....buy a Tonedexter and make some files with the K&K to get you closer to the sound of your Waterloo.

I made some 'pretty' files with my Neumann KM184 but the gritty file I made using a plain old Shure SM57 is something I think you would want. Blues Deluxe, thanks.

I like my Matons with the dual source pickup system, so I ordered a "K&K Trinity Upgrade Kit" - they send you a mic, a 2 channel belt preamp mixer and a stereo cable to make it work - I am told. BUT...it hasn't arrived because of the Virus and now we are in lockdown/curfew for at least 6 weeks. I am anxious to try this on the Waterloo and a couple of other guitars...started with one unit. More options to try!

BluesKing777.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a K & K in my ladder braced Deluxe. I turn down the mids a touch and it sounds just like the guitar.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-10-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Anybody put one in theirs? I have a K&K in my Collings and have really happy with the sound I get. I have a Red Eye I'd run it though into PA for open mics. Just wondering how this little body guitar will do through a PA system. 100% finger style(no picks) with this guitar. Leave it acoustic and use my Collings or add a pick up to the Waterloo for blues finger style tunes?
I'd hazard to guess it will be fine.

I've done at least a dozen K&K Pure Mini installs on my guitars and for others and I've always had a good result. My latest K&K install is in my size 0 mahogany and the plugged in tone is really good.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I have a K&K in my Waterloo WL-14X.....I am also a 100% fingerpick bare back player.

To me, the K&K is nice, too nice...it makes the Waterloo sound just like any other guitar with a K&K. But it is only half the journey.....buy a Tonedexter and make some files with the K&K to get you closer to the sound of your Waterloo.

I made some 'pretty' files with my Neumann KM184 but the gritty file I made using a plain old Shure SM57 is something I think you would want. Blues Deluxe, thanks.

I like my Matons with the dual source pickup system, so I ordered a "K&K Trinity Upgrade Kit" - they send you a mic, a 2 channel belt preamp mixer and a stereo cable to make it work - I am told. BUT...it hasn't arrived because of the Virus and now we are in lockdown/curfew for at least 6 weeks. I am anxious to try this on the Waterloo and a couple of other guitars...started with one unit. More options to try!

BluesKing777.
Thanks for the Tonedexter tip, those look sweet. Not sure I want to pile on more expense(I do have the Red Eye), but nice to have a target if I need a better sound.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 08-10-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
Thanks for the Tonedexter tip, those look sweet. Not sure I want to pile on more expense(I do have the Red Eye), but nice to have a target if I need a better sound.
Just trying to give you some options!

Tonedexter or K&K Trinity - do some searches on this forum to find other's views on them. But I would say the Tonedexter is one of the best boxes I have bought. Ever.

You can always get one later after you have played the K&K a while.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification