The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-07-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Switch out dual source mic - Audix L50 vs. DPA 4061...or Sunrise?

Hey guys!

I recently changed my dual source system in my Bourgeois Vintage D to a set of Dazzos (and taking a hint from Doug Young's setup), added an Audix L50 internal mic as a dual source internal mic. I'm blending it all together with a Sunn Audio MS-2...and creating a stereo rig with a few effects around that (mostly a bit of reverb, delay, trem).

My question: I think the Dazzos sound great, and love the sound and function of the Sunn Audio, but not really finding a sound I like out of the internal mic. I know it's only supposed to add a bit of air (which it does) and not be the core sound, but just think it still sounds too honky (especially when isolating the mic on its own for eq'ing purposes). I was wondering if switching it out to a DPA 4061, which is well regarded, will change the sound of the mic much? Or is that just the general sound I can expect from an internal mic? Just hate the idea of loving the Dazzos and then not liking the sound I'm getting from the mic.

Or, a complete 180, I also have a Sunrise pickup. I wonder if I should use that as the second source? But, I have used that before in a dual source setup with a K&K, and truly think the guitar is playing better acoustically without the heavy Sunrise in the soundhole.

Note, I am mostly a strummer but I haven't had too much feedback issues with the mic. But, know that a Sunrise would be better playing in band situations vs. a mic in a solo context.

Overall, my setup is sounding great...just wondering if a different mic will get me a bit nicer sound out of my second source?

All thoughts/ideas are welcome...just wanted some more opinions before I purchase a DPA off Ebay and have to swap out the Audix.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:20 AM

Audix or DPA are both great sounding mics, no doubt. I use DPA 4061/Dazzo/Sunnaudio MS-2 und love the sound. I do not eq anything - one exception: HPF engaged on the internal mic channel! That's essential on any internal mic I tried over the years.
Try it - it will probably solve the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
Audix or DPA are both great sounding mics, no doubt. I use DPA 4061/Dazzo/Sunnaudio MS-2 und love the sound. I do not eq anything - one exception: HPF engaged on the internal mic channel! That's essential on any internal mic I tried over the years.
Try it - it will probably solve the problem.
Thanks for the response! I definitely use the HPF on the mic, to help with feedback. But, I do also have to use the EQ on the MS-2 fairly heavily on the mic channel, reducing a lot of lows and mids.

I can see you definitely are getting success with the Dazzo/DPA 4061 combo. So, maybe go for that?
Old 08-08-2020, 07:26 AM

The nice thing about the soundhole/
Dazzo dual source is that the sunrise is easily
Installed and removed so try it the only
Thing invested would be time. I've only tried the
Schertler ag6 soundhole/mic combo
and the Fishman rare earth blend.
I didnt care for either. When I do a mic/pickup combo
I usually use a shure sm81. But its
Limited being external to
where it works.
But in the venues I use it in it sounds great.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzamosti View Post
I can see you definitely are getting success with the Dazzo/DPA 4061 combo. So, maybe go for that?
Yes, the Dazzo/DPA 4061 combo sounds great, but with exactly the same HPF on the mic channel my K&K internal mics sound great as well. And I'm pretty sure the Audix can sound great. Have you ever tried to dial in the HPF up to 200 Hz ?
And: Where did you place the internal mic ? Mine is on the edge of the sound hole "facing some light".
Maybe Doug Young can chime in here for he uses Audix L50.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the Dazzo/DPA 4061 combo sounds great, but with exactly the same HPF on the mic channel my K&K internal mics sound great as well. And I'm pretty sure the Audix can sound great. Have you ever tried to dial in the HPF up to 200 Hz ?
And: Where did you place the internal mic ? Mine is on the edge of the sound hole "facing some light".
Maybe Doug Young can chime in here for he uses Audix L50.
Hmm...maybe placement of the mic could be at play? It was done by a local tech. Where should it be placed?
Old 08-10-2020, 06:46 AM

I place it at the edge of the soundhole (mounted inside) between D-string and g- string. You can see the capsule from outside. You can use a piece of foam or a DPA rubber mount .

Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I place it at the edge of the soundhole (mounted inside) between D-string and g- string. You can see the capsule from outside. You can use a piece of foam or a DPA rubber mount .
Thanks! Maybe that's the cause. Right now, it's mounted coming up from the high E string. You can see the mic capsule, but it's located closer to the lower bout, near the high E and not in the middle of the strings.

So, it sounds like I need to get it placed in a different spot. Any last thoughts on whether worth it to pick up a DPA 4061 vs. the keeping the Audix L50?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:14 AM

I would keep the Audix L50 because I'm sure it will sound decent. If need a pic showing how I placed it, let me know - no problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification