The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Are you counting the frequency response built into the Dazzos themselves? Then certainly, every Dazzo has it's own frequency response. I had an interesting conversation with the owner of FireEye, and it was his view that most pres needed EQ functions to counter the poor amplification stage designs. The Redeye has a very linear gain stage. I used the RedEye for years after getting Dazzos, and I can't recall touching the minimal EQ on the Redeye. The same goes for the SunnAudio Stage 1 DI. I run everything flat, except when playing a JJB equipped cheapo archtop. That guitar needs a bass boost. If I were to put Dazzos in that guitar, they would be 80s or 90s.

So whatever "EQ" built in is what I go with. YMMV. I have 100s, 90s, 80s, 70s, and the very first 60s set, or was that 50s? Anyway the first one Teddy installed, to tame the bass of my D 35 Custom.

But as it relates to EQ on a pre, everything is flat, set at whatever Sonny designed into the unit.
What bass response Dazzo number do you recommend for an Adi/Hog OM short scale guitar?
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 08-09-2020, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest you call Teddy Randazzo and get your answer from "the Man" himself... I'd guess 60's or 70's, but, again, ask Teddy...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
What bass response Dazzo number do you recommend for an Adi/Hog OM short scale guitar?
I have a 70 in my Adi/Amazon Rosewood OM28 - sounds great !

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 08-10-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

70s are the default starting point. I agree, Teddy is the man to ask. I got a D 35 with K&Ks installed. It was a shock. When I had them replaced, we went with the least bassy pickup Teddy had ever installed. Earlier on I had bought a 0 sized Pono that need 100s, and that is what we tried when I brought in the 12 string version. It was too much and we went to 90s. 70s were fine for my Guild D 35 though. Teddy can make a fairly educated guess though.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-10-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
My OM works great with 70s.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 08-11-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
My OM works great with 70s.
Thanks everyone! I typically use Schatten HFN, and used Dazzos once that didn't work well. I'm keen to try again soon
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:55 AM

I have Dazzo 70’s that I am going to install. As a consumer though, I do wish that Teddy would try to find a bass response that works for certain body styles to take the guess work out of it. Maybe 70’s for a dread, 80’s for an OM etc.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I typically use Schatten HFN, and used Dazzos once that didn't work well. I'm keen to try again soon
In what way did they not work? I'm curious.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 08-11-2020, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
In what way did they not work? I'm curious.
We had it installed in a Lowden Jumbo. I didn't do the install, but it looked correct to me. The Dazzos would pick up people chatting and send it through the PA like a condenser mic - the folks weren't talking into or near the sound hole, just normal chatting from guitarist and another person.

And so of course we were then unable to get the Lowden up to a stage volume.

So maybe these Dazzos had something wrong with them. I'm keen to try again with another pair sometime because of all the high praise they get.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
We had it installed in a Lowden Jumbo. I didn't do the install, but it looked correct to me. The Dazzos would pick up people chatting and send it through the PA like a condenser mic - the folks weren't talking into or near the sound hole, just normal chatting from guitarist and another person.

And so of course we were then unable to get the Lowden up to a stage volume.

So maybe these Dazzos had something wrong with them. I'm keen to try again with another pair sometime because of all the high praise they get.
Teddy was at my house today installing Dazzos in a Mark Angus 6 string and 12 string. Both went incredibly well. We had the volume quite high and both needed a small cut in the bass or a high pass filter set at 80hz.

You could easily hear Teddy’s voice coming through the speaker. To me, this is a good thing. First, it demonstrates how mic like the Dazzos are. Second, most people have an open mic they are talking or singing through anyway. Third, the guitar is way louder than the speaking so it’s not heard while the guitar is being played.

I also learned that if you simply tape the wire leads against the inside of the guitars top, it will make everything sound more mic like as well.

Placement can be a culprit to the sound situation you are describing. Sometimes a sensor is placed to far toward the sound hole. It may be better to slide them closer to the bridge pins.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

Last edited by Vancebo; 08-12-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Teddy was at my house today installing Sazzos in a Mark Angus 6 string and 12 string. Both went incredibly well. We had the volume quite high and both needed a small cut in the bass or a high pass filter set at 80hz.

You could easily hear Teddy’s voice coming through the speaker. To me, this is a good thing. First, it demonstrates how mic like the Dazzos are. Second, most people have an open mic they are talking or singing through anyway. Third, the guitar is way louder than the speaking so it’s not heard while the guitar is being played.

I also learned that if you simply tape the wire leads against the inside of the guitars top, it will make everything sound more mic like as well.

Placement can be a culprit to the sound situation you are describing. Sometimes a sensor is placed to far toward the sound hole. It may be better to slide them closer to the bridge pins.

Yeah, placement might have been the problem. We play with, at times, two electrics, live drums, so microphone style pickups can get tricky, although come to think of it, both the Lyric and the Anthem have worked fine.

We'll just need to try again sometime. Last night I installed a Schatten HFN again and remember why it like it so much. The tape or putty sure are hard to beat for installation. The output is very low, but it gains up just fine and doesn't seem to have a down side.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Yeah, placement might have been the problem. We play with, at times, two electrics, live drums, so microphone style pickups can get tricky, although come to think of it, both the Lyric and the Anthem have worked fine.

We'll just need to try again sometime. Last night I installed a Schatten HFN again and remember why it like it so much. The tape or putty sure are hard to beat for installation. The output is very low, but it gains up just fine and doesn't seem to have a down side.
That definitely is a downside to the Dazzo. I think if you live close to Teddy then you will most likely love the pickup. If you do the install yourself, it can be a bit of experimentation. I know a lot of Dazzo fans personally had Teddy install their pickups and they say it was a breeze but they also mention how Teddy had to move it around quite a bit. To me that’s more involved.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That definitely is a downside to the Dazzo. I think if you live close to Teddy then you will most likely love the pickup. If you do the install yourself, it can be a bit of experimentation. I know a lot of Dazzo fans personally had Teddy install their pickups and they say it was a breeze but they also mention how Teddy had to move it around quite a bit. To me that’s more involved.
Yep, and Teddy's reputation is outstanding for a reason - he certainly goes above and beyond in customer service and I know he is fanatical about pickup tone. As you'd imagine, he very kindly offered for us to ship the guitar to him to reinstall. Very generous of Teddy, but still adds around $200 of shipping there and back, so we passed on the offer.

If Teddy can ever make peace with putty or tape, I'd be more keen to try again sometime.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 08-13-2020, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Cool Different Guitar!

Quote:
Teddy was at my house today installing Dazzos in a Mark Angus 6 string and 12 string. Both went incredibly well. We had the volume quite high and both needed a small cut in the bass or a high pass filter set at 80hz.

Vance -

I've been thinking about posting of my experience with you and Teddy on Tuesday, doing the installs on both of my Mark Angus guitars... and you beat me to it!

I KNOW it's the day after your birthday, and I hate to rain on your parade, BUT the guitar we used the 80 hz. high pass filter with was my Goodall Concert Jumbo, the install that was done last week (2 weeks?). We didn't need it for either of the Angus guitars... matter of fact, when that high-pass filter was left on, inadvertently, we were all surprised by the final sound of that 12 string... until I turned it off and went back to a flat setting... and then the guitar sounded glorious!

Seemed that the Dazzos got moved slightly after we had them set the way we wanted them. As a result, they had far more bass response than when we first set them. (And Teddy called me this morning, offering to "re-do" the Dazzos on my Goodall for me!)

It was great to have Teddy do the installs on those Angus guitars... the 12 string sounded SO GOOD! He certainly moved those transducers around a bunch before going with the epoxy, and his attention to the tone was evident in the final result!

Again, both guitars sounded marvelous through my Bose T1 Tonematch mixer into my Bose L1 Model II... they sounded even better using one of the Sunnaudio preamps that Teddy had... the overall tone was just... smoother and more even, somehow. I love them with the T1, but I can see why folks rave about those Sunnaudio preamps! They are terrific little units!

Also, I was shocked to hear the difference that taping the wires to the soundboard made with the tone... started out very good and got a LOT better! The Dazzos really do sound very "mic-like"...

It was an honor to spend the afternoon with both you and Teddy, and on your birthday, no less! I so appreciate the time spent at your wonderful home... of course, if we didn't have such a good time, talking and playing a bit, the whole thing would have gone much faster... but it was a gas to hear both you and Teddy play a bit... you are a very good player, Vancebo; Teddy is something else altogether!!!

And a BIG "shout out" to Teddy Randazzo! The man has such a heart; his generosity is allowing me to make a young Vet very happy with my trusty old Angus 6 string - now with a nice set of Dazzo 70's!!!

I can't say enough about the Dazzo pickups... yes, they can take some time to "dial in"... but once you get them where they sound the way you want, that's it... no more messing around, absolutely clean installation with ZERO IMPACT on the unplugged sound of the instrument.

They are just REALLY GOOD pickups to capture the acoustic tone of a guitar with incredible accuracy...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 08-13-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Now everything is clear. Really in an electric band with a drummer, no sound board transducer is going to be the right tool, especially with a lively top like your Louden.

Anthems or the like with a undersaddle pickup, can't believe I typed that, would be better, or a magnetic soundhole pickup.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification