The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Replaced K&K with HFN

So after much head scratching, research, etc., I took the plunge. My K&K was better through a Red-eye preamp, but still seemed boomy and a bit muddy.

But for the good of mankind and guitar-kind, before removing the K&K entirely, I cut the lead to the middle disc and tried it...and it did sound better. I probably could have lived with that, but I still decided to press on.

I removed the K&K discs from my carbon-fiber guitar with a razor blade scraper, the kind you use to take paint off of windows. That took about ten minutes to get all the little bits off. I then lightly sanded the area with 300 grit sandpaper - probably could have skipped this step, but I am a bit OCD when doing these guitar things.

Used putty under the feet and located as close as I could get it directly under the saddle. Got the end pin all sorted, and then plugged it in through the Red-Eye preamp.

The sound is very good, IMHO. I did eq a bit of bass out, and liked it even better.

The specific pickup I used is the HFN Schatten passive for steel string guitars.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:17 PM

I am happy with the HFN's in my three RainSongs. I've previously installed K&K's in two RainSongs, a CO-DR1100N2 and a CH-WS1100N2. I thought both sounded pretty good too but I definitely like the HFN better. My initial interest in the HFN was finding a way around cyanoacrylate glue and the icing on the cake was the improved tone. I would have been hesitant to risk a razor blade near CF since unlike wood the strength is all in the inner/outer surface layers. My HFN's are all tape installed.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM

Schatten HFN passive quickly became my favorite pickup. I'm after installing it in 4 different guitars so far and they all sound great plugged in.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

While I have been playing guitar a long time, my amplified playing only started about two years ago. During that time, I have been through three amps and three pickups, but I do believe I am now settled on HFN >Red Eye preamp>Fishman Artist for the foreseeable future.

I guess I just need to be more careful about getting sucked into the vortex of recommendations coming from AGF...
Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
While I have been playing guitar a long time, my amplified playing only started about two years ago. During that time, I have been through three amps and three pickups, but I do believe I am now settled on HFN >Red Eye preamp>Fishman Artist for the foreseeable future.

I guess I just need to be more careful about getting sucked into the vortex of recommendations coming from AGF...
Yes the AGF vortex can be quite strong for sure. My main setup is very similar to yours. HFN->Fishman Loudbox Artist. I don't use a preamp but when I do I put Tonedexter in between.

I was never quite happy with my amplified tone in the past. I sorta discovered the HFN and Tonedexter at the same. Both of those changed amplified tone for me.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post

I was never quite happy with my amplified tone in the past. I sorta discovered the HFN and Tonedexter at the same. Both of those changed amplified tone for me.
That Tonedexter also has a strong pull on me toward the vortex, but I will resist (I hope).
Old 07-17-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
That Tonedexter also has a strong pull on me toward the vortex, but I will resist (I hope).
I think you can do without Tonedexter with the HFN, especially with the Fishman amp. Tonedexter doesn't really make it sound better, just different IMO.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Default HFN for DTar

I recently acquired after a 5 year plus search a Goodall Royal Hawaiian. It had DTar under saddle installed that had gone south due to leaking batteries onto the small pc board under the battery holder. Decided to go with the Schatten after the usual AGF research and a little Youtube watching. It took longer to remove all the old wire and components than to install the HFN. Piece of cake!
I plug into a Kemper with some really nice rigs loaded for acoustic. One particular free profile is of a Neve 1037. I planned on grabbing a Redeye if the signal wasn’t hot enough for the Kemper and indeed it would help. Remembered I had a T1M buffer in my old pedal pile. It gives a nice clean low impedance boost and is just the ticket. So far really love the HFN and its so light and simple compared to its predecessor.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yes the AGF vortex can be quite strong for sure. My main setup is very similar to yours. HFN->Fishman Loudbox Artist. I don't use a preamp but when I do I put Tonedexter in between.

When you run your guitar right into the Loudbox how much EQing do you have to do on the Loudbox? My setup is K&K PM -> BBE Acoustimax -> LB Artist or wherever, and I’m finding that if I go out this way into a venue PA my acoustic tone is plastic-y / boxy no matter how much I try to EQ it. Really thinking about doing an HFN install to replace the PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
When you run your guitar right into the Loudbox how much EQing do you have to do on the Loudbox? My setup is K&K PM -> BBE Acoustimax -> LB Artist or wherever, and I’m finding that if I go out this way into a venue PA my acoustic tone is plastic-y / boxy no matter how much I try to EQ it. Really thinking about doing an HFN install to replace the PM.
Not sure who you are asking...but on my setup, I only EQ the Low range of my Fishman Artist to 9 o'clock. Mid and High are set to 12 o'clock. But I am guessing this is also dependent on the specific guitar.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:28 PM

If it sounds great on your Loudbox, it should sound great in the venue PA.
Mm, maybe try the pre/post - button on the D.I.output of your BBE.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
In my experience, both the Schatten HFN and the Dazzo sound more than acceptable straight into a preamp or DI. My duo performed last night at an open mike (I used Dazzo and she used Schatten) and we had the best guitar sound by *FAR* of anyone there using a pickup system. (Doesn't hurt that we were both playing custom guitars.)

We also use ToneDexter, but with these pickups it is because *I* want to hear and present the highest quality, not because it is absolutely mandatory.

I'll mostly agree with GuitarLuva: with this pickup, ToneDexter may not give a big enough improvement for you to see it as an actual improvement. OTOH that might be more of a factor of the specific guitar, your own taste in guitar tones, and how tweaky your hearing is.

Mine is very tweaky.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Donor View Post
I don't have to EQ anything with this setup. It sounds best to me with the EQ flat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification