The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinplarson View Post
are these photos showing up for anyone? I appreciate the help. would really love to see what you mean. They're not showing up on my computer.
“Outside” means toward the tuners. In the classical tradition, the bass and treble E strings are wound “inside”. The nut slots are at the ends, and the lateral tension pulls the windings tight against each other. The A, D, G and B strings are wound “outside” (from the hole toward the tuner) for the same reason. This also usually prevents the strings from touching or resting on the edges of the slots.

Brucebubs’ pictures show the opposite. The E strings are wound “outside” and the others “inside”. This makes for a straighter path from the nut slot to the tuning shaft. There’s nothing wrong with this either, and it’s just another “school of thought” as I mentioned previously.

What’s most important is to accommodate the particular guitar. Are the slots particularly narrow (like on most resonators)? Is the angle from the slot to the shaft too acute (and cause binding in the nut slot) if you wind in the first method? Do the edges of the slot interfere with the string if you wind in the second?
Old 08-15-2020, 04:32 AM

Great video, Andy.

My only comment I that especially for the restringing, an over head view would have been nice to better show the inside/outside wrapping.

Definitely a small nit. Thanks for taking the time to simplify what can be a complicated process for some.

Cheers,

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion