The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 07:16 AM

yeh no wonder the guitar was damaged . Had zero protection and no idea why they didnt replace it back in the shipping box. The crack on top clearly shows the guitar was probably at the UPS truck or depot with heavier boxes on it that crushed it
Old 08-15-2020, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Reverb doesn't take sales tax from the seller. They add that money to the buyer's total.

I always take an uncut video of my playing the guitar and then preparing for shipping after showing the entire guitar on camera. I used to take multiple pictures but I figure a video is even better.

This^^^. I just sold some minor non guitar items on eBay and each item had sales tax added. Those tax $ did not come to me. Guessing they went to the relevant state.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
To be clear, I'm pretty sure the requirement to pay sales tax was always there, in every state that has a sales tax. The issue was how it was to be collected. The court case laid that responsibility on Reverb, Ebay, etc. So now individuals, who probably never had any idea they were technically responsible for paying the tax on their own, think it's the fault of the merchant; it's not.
This exactly. Reverb discusses this here: How State Sales Tax Applies to Reverb Orders
If you refund through Reverb, you should get your sales tax and selling fees refunded as well.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-15-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
no i dont have pictures of me packing why is that important?
Sorry about your experience, but it should be obvious now why that simple step is important.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:25 AM

i get it but doesnt matter now that was the last guitar i will ever ship ....any sales from now on are done door to door , screw that
Old 08-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be clear, I'm pretty sure the requirement to pay sales tax was always there, in every state that has a sales tax. The issue was how it was to be collected. The court case laid that responsibility on Reverb, Ebay, etc. So now individuals, who probably never had any idea they were technically responsible for paying the tax on their own, think it's the fault of the merchant; it's not.
But the buyer pays sales tax, not the seller....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 AM

I hope you work it out, but in the future, always document your packing process. I learned from experience.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:48 PM

Default REVERB RIP OFF and UPS nightmare

I’m not saying that documenting your packing with pictures (or video) is a bad idea, but how does this guarantee you anything? Unless you vlog your entire shipping event, including driving your box to the carrier, and finally the handoff of the package to them (with a quick zoom on the shipping label to capture the send to address), this seems it guarantees nothing. BTW, USPS will NOT allow you to film your transactions with them, much less take pictures. I’ve already discovered this.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:55 PM

After all these years on the planet I've learned that absolutely nothing is guaranteed... including another day here. What taking this extra step does is help build your case that you did what you could to protect the instrument. If you want a simple analogy, I put on my seatbelt when I drive my car. Does it "guarantee" I won't have a serious injury if I crash? No, but it likely lessens the odds and that's good enough for me. Or if someone chooses not to be a smoker. Guaranteed they won't get lung cancer? No. Get it yet?
Old 08-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I’m not saying that documenting your packing with pictures (or video) is a bad idea, but how does this guarantee you anything? Unless you vlog your entire shipping event, including driving your box to the carrier, and finally the handoff of the package to them (with a quick zoom on the shipping label to capture the send to address), this seems it guarantees nothing. BTW, USPS will NOT allow you to film your transactions with them, much less take pictures. I’ve already discovered this.
It doesn’t guarantee you anything, of course. But it puts you in a much better position to make your case if a problem occurs. I got off this merry-go-round a while back when I bought instrument insurance from Heritage. It covers damage during shipping. No more worrying about hassling with a shipper...

Old 08-15-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Get it yet?
Where would I be without you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
It doesn’t guarantee you anything, of course. But it puts you in a much better position to make your case if a problem occurs. I got off this merry-go-round a while back when I bought instrument insurance from Heritage. It covers damage during shipping. No more worrying about hassling with a shipper...
Yeah, if you ship a lot of guitars i think this is the best way to go. I wonder why then more dealers don't protect their shipments using a third pty insurer? Maybe lost and damaged shipments are exceptions rather than the norm and not worth the costs, i don't know.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:58 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default REVERB RIP OFF and UPS nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yeah, if you ship a lot of guitars i think this is the best way to go. I wonder why then more dealers don't protect their shipments using a third pty insurer? Maybe lost and damaged shipments are exceptions rather than the norm and not worth the costs, i don't know.
Serious damage is pretty rare. I’ve shipped/received a couple dozen guitars over the years with no problems. But I went with Heritage because I was afraid my luck might finally run out.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 08-15-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:00 PM

The tax thing is definitely not thoroughly mentioned but it is deducted. I just had to pay 66 on top of shipping for a sales tax in Indiana.
Quote:
Old 08-15-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

I’d urge OP to adjust his post title. This is clearly not a Reverb problem and seems like flagrant bashing of a website that states super clear policies. And if they accidental charged a seller sales tax, seems like calling them to get it sorted is in order. Seems like a ups problem, and a tough on at that. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
But the buyer pays sales tax, not the seller....
Yes, I don't think I said otherwise. I said Reverb et al now have to collect it. Buyers have, mostly, been legally obligated to pay the tax to their State all along. Not that many people were even aware of that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion