The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
Bought one of these myself a few months ago, mint condition and <$400. I've played dreads that cost 2 or 3 times more that are no better than this one. This guitar is definitely a keeper as far as I'm concerned. Btw I believe the E1D is Sitka/Sapele not Adirondack but either way it sounds great.
Yes, the E1D is Sitka on top. You have to go up to the "10" series to get the Adi.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-14-2020, 10:59 PM

I bought an Eastman E1OM (left handed) sight unseen two weeks ago. The nut width appealed and all solid woods for £500 looked a bargain, (I felt I couldnt really justify spending over £1000 again). I am genuinely impressed. The set up and finish is spot on, its loud, and chimes like a bell. The only criticism I can offer ,is the top is an unappealing pale colour (which should darken with time ) If this modestly priced model is typical of the brand, we cant go wrong.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotveryGood View Post
I bought an Eastman E1OM (left handed) sight unseen two weeks ago. The nut width appealed and all solid woods for £500 looked a bargain, (I felt I couldnt really justify spending over £1000 again). I am genuinely impressed. The set up and finish is spot on, its loud, and chimes like a bell. The only criticism I can offer ,is the top is an unappealing pale colour (which should darken with time ) If this modestly priced model is typical of the brand, we cant go wrong.
Eastman doesn't add toning agent or color their tops, so what you're getting is the natural wood color. As you say, it will darken with age, and I'd rather have that than a fake spray tan that won't change over time. The E1D/E1OM models have an open pore / satin finish, so that also impacts the aesthetics vs. their standard gloss top nitro finish models.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
In my experience, I think the craftsmanship is as good as the more expensive models.

The use of Sapele cuts the cost as well as the open pore satin finish.
I would love to believe this, but as far as I know they are a handcrafted shop by and large, so I can not help but believe that their more experienced builders focus their attention on the expensive models, whereas their newbies work on the cheaper models. A mistake will cost the company less and perhaps expectations are less as well.

Can anyone shed more light on this issue? If the tonewoods are actually less a factor in making a guitar sound amazing than one would think and it's all in the craftsmanship...what are they doing on the expensive models that they are not in the cheaper models that isn't in the spec sheet? (I ask this about Eastman as well as an automated shop like Taylor/Martin)
Old 08-15-2020, 03:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
I would love to believe this, but as far as I know they are a handcrafted shop by and large, so I can not help but believe that their more experienced builders focus their attention on the expensive models, whereas their newbies work on the cheaper models. A mistake will cost the company less and perhaps expectations are less as well.

Can anyone shed more light on this issue? If the tonewoods are actually less a factor in making a guitar sound amazing than one would think and it's all in the craftsmanship...what are they doing on the expensive models that they are not in the cheaper models that isn't in the spec sheet? (I ask this about Eastman as well as an automated shop like Taylor/Martin)
Those cheaper Eastman models don’t have a nitro finish so that’s a big expense they get to skip which cuts the cost considerably.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Those cheaper Eastman models don’t have a nitro finish so that’s a big expense they get to skip which cuts the cost considerably.
The materials are also not as good on the lower end models. Not that they are bad, just not of the same grade as the upper end stuff. Plus they don't polish the nut and saddle, other little cosmetic things that save labor and time. My E2-OM came in a gig bag, not a hard case.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:28 AM

Gig bag vs hard case
open pore finish on back and sides, maybe less time spent on finish in general...still very good but perhaps a bit more spartan
different choices in woods, not necessarily inferior, perhaps more plain to the eye...
Cedar top vs Adi or Sitka spruce...may be more common, perceived as less high end
Sapele back and sides vs mahogany or rosewood
Maple neck vs mahogany neck
However, the tone, volume, and playability of my e2om are fantastic. Not at all inferior.

Some of it may well be just marketing. Manufacturers tend to produce and market low, middle, and high end appointments/prices on similar products.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTexMurf View Post
Gig bag vs hard case
open pore finish on back and sides, maybe less time spent on finish in general...still very good but perhaps a bit more spartan
different choices in woods, not necessarily inferior, perhaps more plain to the eye...
Cedar top vs Adi or Sitka spruce...may be more common, perceived as less high end
Sapele back and sides vs mahogany or rosewood
Maple neck vs mahogany neck
However, the tone, volume, and playability of my e2om are fantastic. Not at all inferior.

Some of it may well be just marketing. Manufacturers tend to produce and market low, middle, and high end appointments/prices on similar products.
Are you sure about the maple neck? In the seller's specs I read it's mahogany.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm pretty sure that my E1d open pore model is indeed finished with nitrocellulose laquer.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinTac View Post
I'm pretty sure that my E1d open pore model is indeed finished with nitrocellulose laquer.
Sorry yes, the top is isn't it? The back and sides are not if I'm remembering correctly. I had the E2D in my mind which is satin all over I think.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

The finish is an expensive cost into making the guitar and can account for 1/3 of the overall cost. For the E1/E2 models, the open pore finish, Sapele, and less expensive electronics (Fishman Sonotone) all contribute to lower material costs vs. their higher end models, which enables them to hit their price points. Plus all the finishing details, as noted by the others. This would be true of other guitar makers, as well.

On the higher end, Eastman is pretty small vs. big factories like Martin and Taylor, but they do assign their master luthiers to work on their top models: E40D, E40OM, AC922CE, AC630-BD. I don't know if they have a different crew working the entry models vs. their standard lines, or if it's all managed together.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:49 PM

Default E20D

I am very undecided whether I'd like the E20D-TC or non-Torrified E20D. I like the idea of it sounding more mature out of the box, but I'm also not one for shortcuts...which is probably silly IF the Torrified Adirondack really is so much warmer (?) than the other.

So much love for Eastman here, it's a good thing. Pardon the semi-hijack.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMN View Post
I realize buying online is always a bit risky but I'm taking a chance on this cedar OM Eastman.

https://sunvalleyguitars.com/product...-top-13955287/

It had me at all solid wood for under $500. I don't have any experience with Eastmans but I've heard good things. The cedar should make for great fingerstyle play. I was thinking the 2 5/32" bridge spacing might be a little tight, but I seem to be managing alright on my Yamaha and I just measured that at 2 1/16". Anyways, I just had to share my excitement. If anyone has any experience with Eastman, good or bad, I'd be interested in what your thoughts are.
Good move.. You won't be disappointed.. Eastman OMs are big bang for the buck.

Brian Farmer (Sun Valley Guitars) returns phone calls and is a pleasure to do business with. I purchased a limited edition Eastman AC108CE-LTD from Brian last winter. Terrific all solid wood finger style guitar - Adi top/Sapele back/sides, open pore satin finish, mahogany neck, slotted headstock, Ebony fretboard & bridge, bone nut & saddle and LR Baggs Electronics for $800.00.

It arrived set-up and ready to go.

I also own two Eastman mandolins... hands down the best moderately priced imports available.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
Are you sure about the maple neck? In the seller's specs I read it's mahogany.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/acoustic_orchestra

E2OM
Neck Material:Maple
Fingerboard:Ebony
Fingerboard Radius:12"
Neck Profile:Traditional Even "C"
Nut:Bone 1-3/4"
Fretwire:20 Jescar-FW43080
Scale Length:24.9"
Body Dimensions:15" x 4 1/4" x 4"
Bracings:Hand Scalloped X
Body Top:Solid Cedar
Body Back/Sides:Solid Sapele
Bridge/Saddle:Ebony/Bone, 2 5/32" Spacing
Rosette:Classic
Truss Rodual Acting
Binding:Top and Back
Binding Material:Tortoise
Logo:Maple Headstock
Inlay:Pearl Dots
Side Dot Color:White
Bridge Pins:White Plastic w/ Black Dots
Body Top Finish:Gloss Nitrocellulose
Back/Sides Finish:Open Pore
Hardware Color:Nickel
Pickguard:Tortoise Shell G-Guard
Tuners:Open-Gear Ping V93N 3+3
Electronics:None
Strings'Addario .012-.053 #EXP16
Action Height:12th fret 3/32" on the bass side and 2/32" on the treble side
Case:Padded Eastman Gig Bag
Truss Rod Wrench:4mm
Color Options:Traditional
Old 08-16-2020, 12:55 AM

Many thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion