The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2020, 05:57 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMW01 View Post
Just curious... why did you get rid of your D-41?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’ve always wondered about that too!
No mystery, folks. It was a great guitar, as are all of my guitars or I wouldn’t own ‘em. Played it daily for years. But it was time to move on. At age 69 I’ve moved to more comfortable slope dreads and a sweet custom OM. My current little herd covers a lotta tonal territory...and keeps the universe in balance as I have one from each of the Big Three. Couldn’t be happier.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Old 08-15-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

When I got my Collings D1A it essentially chased my Eastman E10D-TC out of the house. Then I sold the Collings to get a PreWar, which ended up being damaged. So now I'm back to round 3 with an Outlaw 17 on the way to me. We'll see if it was all worth it next week
Old 08-15-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
When I got my Collings D1A it essentially chased my Eastman E10D-TC out of the house. Then I sold the Collings to get a PreWar, which ended up being damaged. So now I'm back to round 3 with an Outlaw 17 on the way to me. We'll see if it was all worth it next week
Me too! Glad I could put you on that one! Now I’m dying for my dread to get here!! The way Brencat was talking, it looks as if I may have found the Holy Grail of Bourgeois Vintage D specs!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-15-2020, 08:36 AM
Runaway Tomato

Default Has one of your guitars ever made you dislike your other guitar?

No, but I've never owned more than one or two guitars at a time (through 5 decades of playing) until recently. I own three now, which is the most I've ever had at one time

So, no.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-15-2020, 08:46 AM

Well, since all my guitars have been significant upgrades (and that's the only way I like it), naturally I dislike the guitar that is being replaced

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Actually, no. I have mostly acquired or sold guitars based on either changing ergonomic needs, wanting to add a different tonal possiblity to the mix, or just thinning out the collection over time. I do go through phases where I may play one guitar more than the others but they all get played at least a few times a week if not daily.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-15-2020, 11:31 AM

Somewhat of a similar experience. I had/have two dreads, a D-18GE and a Custom Shop HD-28 I spec’d to sound as close to the D-18GE I thought a EIR guitar could get, generally speaking.

If I played one guitar exclusively for two or more days, I preferred it over the other and ridiculously thought of moving the other. Haha. So then I committed myself to playing them on alternating days and all is well on the home front. Although I do wonder about which string spacing I like better, 2 5/16 or 2 1/4.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:10 PM

Sorry for the double post, the first one appears to have timed out.

Last fall I sent my marquis which I have sentimental attachment to back to Martin to have the neck reprofiled. After a few months, I was lucky enough to find a 2016 Bourgeois Country Boy Ad top with 1 3/4” neck and 2 5/16” bridge spacing to play in the mean time with the goal of selling or trading when I got the marquis back. After having the marquis back a few weeks I go back and forth on what to do, as the Bourgeois is a monster for rhythm and lead cut, but the marquis is good for solo and not a slouch when playing with groups either. Both are good representations of mahogany vs rosewood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion