The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2020, 04:59 PM

Default Sent two by mistake...

So I ordered a $500+ item from a music store (fairly well known place, but not a huge organization like guitar center) and I open up the package today to find they sent me two. My conscience tells me I should alert the store. Maybe they’ll send me a free pick haha. Anyone else had this happen?
Old 08-14-2020, 05:19 PM

Years ago I built some clocks out of Spalted Maple and Ebony for Christmas gifts, a dozen if I recall. The company sent me 36 clocks! These were small battery powered movements about 1.5" diameter and about $3 each so not high quality movements.

I called them and asked what they wanted to do and they said to send them back. When I asked for a shipping label they said just keep them.

That's not likely to happen in your $500 item case, though.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 08-14-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

See if you can return one and get a refund.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Call to give them a heads up and return one (at their expense, of course).
Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Of course you should let them know about the mix-up! I can't believe you're asking anyone's opinion about this...

The company should pay the return shipping without question.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-14-2020, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

If you haven't already, also be sure to check your bank or cc account (or whatever payment mode used) to see how much you were charged.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
If you haven't already, also be sure to check your bank or cc account (or whatever payment mode used) to see how much you were charged.
Dogma is right. The one time that this happened to me (not guitar related), I received two items and was billed twice.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Of course you should let them know about the mix-up! I can't believe you're asking anyone's opinion about this...

The company should pay the return shipping without question.
You bet they should pay for the return. They should also be kissing the feet of the OP for being so honest. Legally OP is probably entitled to keep it no matter if they paid for it or not.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

I would TRY to do the right thing, but if they don’t take you up on it, I wouldn’t beat them over the head to make them.

A similar story that exemplifies the point. I ordered a Robert Cray Strat from a large natural retailer almost 3 years ago for its listed $925. It arrived and then a few weeks later (well within the return period), they had a sale when the same Guitar was 15% off. I called to get the 15% refunded and then a few days later I looked at my bank statement online and saw that they’d refunded me 85% instead of 15%. Clearly a mistake and one I felt I had to call and alert them to. So I did. The kid I talked to sounded kind of confused about how to correct such a thing, but he thanked me for my honesty in calling and said they’d take care of it.

Well, they never corrected it. I didn’t call again. I figured I’d done the ethical thing by alerting them to their mistake and giving them every opportunity to resolve the error. But I didn’t feel ethically bound to keep calling until they actually fixed it. And now, for the better part of three years, my #1 electric guitar is one I paid about $140 for. It’s my favorite strat ever - I’ve tried a few much more expensive instruments to see if I’d like something else more, but they’ve all been returned or sold and it’s my #1 of two electric guitars and may be for the rest of my life. My first “keeper” electric guitar was a strat I had for 25 years. I don’t know if I have 25 years left in this 61 year old carcass, but I’m pretty sure this $140 wonder will take me the rest of the way.

I tried to do the honorable thing, I DID the honorable thing. But they never took me up on it so I kind of look at this strat as a gift from the gods. I even replaced the neck on it and paid about twice as much for the new neck as I originally did for the whole guitar!

-Ray
Old 08-15-2020, 04:44 AM

Many moons ago I ordered a Korg electronic tuner, back when they were expensive.
The dealer sent me a one box of ten tuners instead of one tuner.
I sent the other nine back to them, but not without some hesitation on keeping them.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb83 View Post
So I ordered a $500+ item from a music store (fairly well known place, but not a huge organization like guitar center) and I open up the package today to find they sent me two. My conscience tells me I should alert the store. Maybe they’ll send me a free pick haha. Anyone else had this happen?
If you had sent two $500 items to someone by mistake, what would you want them to do? - do that.

But as Dogma says, check the finances first.

YouTube
Old 08-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I would TRY to do the right thing, but if they don’t take you up on it, I wouldn’t beat them over the head to make them.

A similar story that exemplifies the point. I ordered a Robert Cray Strat from a large natural retailer almost 3 years ago for its listed $925. It arrived and then a few weeks later (well within the return period), they had a sale when the same Guitar was 15% off. I called to get the 15% refunded and then a few days later I looked at my bank statement online and saw that they’d refunded me 85% instead of 15%. Clearly a mistake and one I felt I had to call and alert them to. So I did. The kid I talked to sounded kind of confused about how to correct such a thing, but he thanked me for my honesty in calling and said they’d take care of it.

Well, they never corrected it. I didn’t call again. I figured I’d done the ethical thing by alerting them to their mistake and giving them every opportunity to resolve the error. But I didn’t feel ethically bound to keep calling until they actually fixed it. And now, for the better part of three years, my #1 electric guitar is one I paid about $140 for. It’s my favorite strat ever - I’ve tried a few much more expensive instruments to see if I’d like something else more, but they’ve all been returned or sold and it’s my #1 of two electric guitars and may be for the rest of my life. My first “keeper” electric guitar was a strat I had for 25 years. I don’t know if I have 25 years left in this 61 year old carcass, but I’m pretty sure this $140 wonder will take me the rest of the way.

I tried to do the honorable thing, I DID the honorable thing. But they never took me up on it so I kind of look at this strat as a gift from the gods. I even replaced the neck on it and paid about twice as much for the new neck as I originally did for the whole guitar!

-Ray
You fulfilled your ethical obligation.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 08-15-2020, 09:38 AM

Notify the store and let them know they made a mistake.
Why would you want to take advantage of another's mistake, a store or an individual?

They may just say to keep it but may ask you to return the extra, at their expense.

What would you want if you found out you sent two of a particular item instead of one?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Call to give them a heads up and return one (at their expense, of course).
+1. You don't want the retailer charging your credit card for two of them.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:56 AM

I think you already know that the right thing to do is let them know and, yes, they should pay shipping.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion