The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2020, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I have K&Ks - they are fine - I’ve put in a couple of James Mays Ultra Tonics in, and vastly prefer them. I’d recommend checking them out -
Old 08-12-2020, 12:38 PM

I just put JJB's in a HD-28 for a friend. When we checked on KKs they were almost $100 more. Making piezo's is not rocket science. Since SBT's must go through an appropriate preamp, I don't see lower output as an issue. I have JJBs in my grand auditorium, and for kicks I tried running the guitar straight into a DI and into the digital board at church. It sounded very natural.

And as you've heard attested here, some actually prefer the tone of JJB's. BTW, the output jack is of very high quality and more than long enough to go through the tailblock of an acoustic.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The website is confusing.

What exactly is a "Switchcraft style" jack? I've had to deal with import knockoffs of similar jacks that left me with the desire to pay a bit more for the real thing.

As I've said, if saving $30 is important to you then do not buy a K&K Pure Mini.
K&K Pure Mini $142
JJB Presitige 330 $49.95 a piece of cardboard and two of the bridge pins is all it takes to get them lined up. See the Ytube video
Old 08-13-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

The ultra tonic is supposedly similar to the K & K, but also has feedback suppression:

http://jamesmayengineering.com/
Old 08-13-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
K&K Pure Mini $142
JJB Presitige 330 $49.95 a piece of cardboard and two of the bridge pins is all it takes to get them lined up. See the Ytube video
You need to shop somewhere else.

There are retailers who will provide you with an additional discount if you ask, so your "$142" drops even further south of $100.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-13-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
You need to shop somewhere else.

There are retailers who will provide you with an additional discount if you ask, so your "$142" drops even further south of $100.
This is true.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-14-2020, 06:17 AM

My bad. I went directly to the K&K website, figuring buying directly from the manufacturer would bring the most reasonable price.

The fact that they mark up their price by nearly 50% above what a third party vendor sells them for makes my decision about who (not) to do business with even easier.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
My bad. I went directly to the K&K website, figuring buying directly from the manufacturer would bring the most reasonable price.

The fact that they mark up their price by nearly 50% above what a third party vendor sells them for makes my decision about who (not) to do business with even easier.
Actually, this means they support their dealers by not under-cutting them.

Typical K&K street price is about $100. I paid $225 installed for the one in my HD-28V.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-14-2020, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
The ultra tonic is supposedly similar to the K & K, but also has feedback suppression:

Similar, just like the K&K is similar to the JJB, or Dazzo, or other passive transducer systems. But James has managed to eliminate so many of the small problems those other systems can have. The bass is cleaner and crisper, and his unique circuitry allows you to balance the tone and cut down feedback (I have one installed in a baritone that gives me a tremendously clean tone, and I can play it at high volume, facing the amp, with no feedback) and the volume control really does a great job of altering the volume without altering tone. I know it’s a bit more expensive than other systems, but I bought my guitars to sound good, and I’d rather get as much of that clear and accurate tone straight out of the guitar as I can. And if I want to bump it up to a whole ‘ other level, then there’s the Tonedexter -
Old 08-14-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post

Not the usual bunch of empty marketing. A truly innovative value added design. And still passive!
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-18-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Actually, this means they support their dealers by not under-cutting them.

Typical K&K street price is about $100. I paid $225 installed for the one in my HD-28V.
Ouch! I paid $150 installed for mine with a volume wheel.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Ouch! I paid $150 installed for mine with a volume wheel.
It takes me about an hour to add a K&K Pure Mini, including drilling the end block hole and waiting the 5 minutes for each transducer to "dry" before moving on to the next one.

At that rate I'd be paying myself $60 for a easy hour's work...
Old 08-18-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
It takes me about an hour to add a K&K Pure Mini, including drilling the end block hole and waiting the 5 minutes for each transducer to "dry" before moving on to the next one.

At that rate I'd be paying myself $60 for a easy hour's work...
I had no problem with paying a highly-recommended luthier a bit of a premium. This was the most expensive guitar I'd ever purchased, and I didn't want to take a chance of screwing it up myself or having someone else screw it up.

On the other hand, I have since installed pickups in two less-expensive guitars. Now that I have a slight clue about what I'm doing, I probably wouldn't hesitate with a higher-end guitar.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-18-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I had no problem with paying a highly-recommended luthier a bit of a premium. This was the most expensive guitar I'd ever purchased, and I didn't want to take a chance of screwing it up myself or having someone else screw it up.

On the other hand, I have since installed pickups in two less-expensive guitars. Now that I have a slight clue about what I'm doing, I probably wouldn't hesitate with a higher-end guitar.
Absolutely nothing wrong with paying someone else if you have any qualms about doing an install. I know folks who should not attempt anything much beyond fixing their morning bowl of Special K.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I was just taken aback by his labor fee.
My guy is also a long-rime luthier and has done work for some notables in the industry. He has also built a few guitars in his day. He has always been very reasonable for his work. On the other hand, I know for a fact, money isn’t that important to him as he lives modestly in rural America on a pension from a job he held for thirty years.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification