The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-22-2020, 01:23 PM

Default Thicknessing sides for a cutaway

I'm about to undertake my first from-scratch cutaway guitar, using East Indian Rosewood, but I'm not sure how that very tight bend at the upper bout is formed.

I'm doing all hand-bending, and it occurred to me that while I plan to be thicknessing the sides to 3/32" overall, that particular bend would be easier if I reduced the thickness to around 1/16" just for that small area area. Is this ever done with cutaways? Are there any drawbacks I'm not seeing?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:59 PM

Your first guitar, or first guitar with cutaway?

Pointy two-piece cutaway, or continuous bend cutaway?

I thin sides to 2.2 mm. For tight cutaways, I'll thin the tightest parts of the bend to less, depending upon how tight the bend is. I've gone as thin as about 1.5 mm for very tight bends and compound bends - bending the side both length and cross wise to follow the contour of the heel.

The thinner the sides, the potentially more fragile.

I've just made my first two-ply laminated sides. I'll likely laminate all sides going forward, which also has benefits for tight bends.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

3/32" translates, on my StewMac veneer caliper, to anywhere from .08" to nearly .1"., and is actually a bit over .9". This is too vague for our work, and unnecessary thick for the job, at least in my shop. EIR sides might be fine closer to .078, depending on the actual piece, and .065 at the tight bend.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
3/32" translates, on my StewMac veneer caliper, to anywhere from .08" to nearly .1"., and is actually a bit over .9". This is too vague for our work, and unnecessary thick for the job, at least in my shop. EIR sides might be fine closer to .078, depending on the actual piece, and .065 at the tight bend.
That sounds about right. Thanks to all for their input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair