The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-10-2020, 09:06 AM

Default Get V3 X7? v2 vs v3

Wondering if I should upgrade to a new 12 fret V3 Emerald x7 (upward facing sound hole) as the prices only keep going up?

Any improvements out front in sound vs say, v2, if I primarily fingerstrum? I understand sound to the player would be better since pointing up, but guess depending on your ears, could be worse if not what your used to and too much in your face, so to speak as my experience with soundports have been hit or miss.

Is there that much of an upgrade to warrant the cost?

also, what strings and gauge tone down the carbon fiber brightness the best? any make them sound little more woody/less metallic? was thinking of trying nickel, is curt mangan monel or john pearse pure nickel. have tried martin monel and daddario nickel bronze and not sure they tame that carbon fiber-ness enough. Tried some phosphor bronze and sounded like a sitar. Would roundcore or hexcore tame the carbon fiberness more? looking for more bass, less trebles. more full sound. don't mind less sustain.

Last edited by iluvguitars2005; 02-10-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: compliance
Old 02-10-2020, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I moved from the V2 to the V3, I like the V3 a lot more, the larger body helps tone a lot. I would get a plastic sound out of my V2 once in a while, that is gone. And the V3 sits on the lap better. As always, it's a personal thing, they are both nice guitars.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:06 PM

I really like the V3, but I didn't think it was different enough from the X20 I already have to warrant getting one.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM

I have a V2 (along with an X20, and when I tried a V3 last fall at the Emerald Factory I thought it sounded good and played easy. I was almost ready to order one. However, I decided to wait it out and when I got home decided against it. My X7 sounds good to me, is super comfy (and looks amazing). I think the only way I would consider getting an V3 was if I was downsizing and only wanted one guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber