The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Default NGD Southern Jumbo, with a few nice surprises

I'm mainly an electric guitar player only have one quality acoustic an O25 Lowden that is great for fingerpicking and alternate tunings, but wasn't getting it done writing songs for my soul/funk band.

So I found myself a warm sweet Gibson, it was advertised as being from 1968 for what I thought was a good price $1,600 USD. I was a bit worried about potential narrow nut issues and heavy bracing, I was also curious the guitar had what looked to be vintage Kluson single line tuners which seemed like an odd replacement. Anyway as soon as I heard the guitar I brought it as it was the exact sound I was chasing and was surprised the guitar was fine to play around the nut.

I got home and the nut measured 1 11/16th and the serial number matched 1967 or 1963, with the wide nut and single line klusons I'm pretty sure it must be from 1963 but the adjustable saddle was rosewood left in the case after the guitar had a fixed bone saddle installed. I know 1963 SJ's had plastic bridges as well as ceramic saddles and I've seen one for sale with a rosewood saddle so I'm guessing it's early 63, but if experts know for sure please let me know. It also had 5 of the original pins in the case and I'm wondering if it's still ok to use them even if they are bent, is it an easy to straighten them? If not what are the best replacements to get?

I'd also love to hear idea's for strings, I think it sounds best with 13's but was set up for 12's, are 13's safe to use on this model without causing damage?.

Also had a LR Baggs Anthem SL installed, which I know nothing about.

Last edited by voxshall; 01-25-2020 at 08:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion