The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM

Guild was very popular back during the great folk scare. You saw lots of Guilds back in the 60's and 70's

Like many other acoustic brands, they suffered through the 80's, and eventually they were bought out in the mid 90's by FMIC (Fender).

Fender closed the factory and moved production to Corona, then Tacoma, then New Hartford. None of these moves was very auspicious. You can't move production (of anything) across the country and retain your talented employees.

Also, Fender didn't spend much money on marketing the brand.

A couple years ago, Fender sold the marque to Cordoba. Cordoba is now building new guitars in Oxnard (about 2 blocks from Larrivee), but it took them around two years to get the plant up and operating. Most of that was getting the air quality and electrical permits.

The four largest manufactures of acoustic guitars in the US are Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, and Gibson. Guild/Cordoba is likely to exceed Gibson and maybe Larrivee soon though.

Personally, I don't like the tight necks on the new US made Guild 6-strings. I find 12" to be quite uncomfortable.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-24-2020, 04:18 PM

Guild used to make great guitars but some innovations they tried did not
get great selling success (I think of carbon block joint and some finish flaws).

Few years ago, they apparently hired a master luthier who retired from
Gibson (as I remember he was reknowned for some TV series and so on).

I got a great Guild F-30 Aragon two years ago at low price
because of an awfully checkered nitro layer finish : Sounds great !
Old 01-24-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Guilds were more highly, widely prized in the 1970s, a country that I lived in. I still dream of a 1970's-era Guild my girlfriend had and eventually gave away (not to me I'll have you know!). The company fell on hard times and I think it's generally recognized the quality suffered for awhile. Haven't played a current-generation model and I'd be very happy if they've restored their former glory.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:43 PM

Congrats on the new Guild D-40, enjoy it for many years to come.
I think a lot of people purchase by the name/s on the headstock, it seems to work for them, the rest of us purchase guitars that speak to us.
Different strokes for different folks, it’s all good.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Congrats on the new Guild D-40, enjoy it for many years to come.
I think a lot of people purchase by the name/s on the headstock, it seems to work for them, the rest of us purchase guitars that speak to us.
Different strokes for different folks, it’s all good.
This.

Not all D-18s are the same, not all Martins are the same, not all D-40s are the same, not all Guilds are the same, etc.

Guitars are individuals. That's my answer to the (probably rhetorical) question of your thread title.

I'd still have my Guild jumbo -- a great guitar -- if only my arms were longer.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:53 PM

I have a Maple Jumbo from 93 and tried a new d40 at the local store, it's fantastic, so congratulations
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I recently bought a new guitar...a Guild D-40 Traditional. I spent a long time trying to decide on a guitar but it came down to the Guild vs a Martin D-18. It was a tuff choice for me. But the Guild won out. It seems to my ear that the Guild balances the low to highs a bit better. I am surprised I do not hear much about this guitar. It is a cannon like the D-18. Similar tones but different in a good way
You answered your on question mate.😜
Old 01-24-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Played a Guild D55 Maple Arch back jumbo at NAMM last week. I was very impressed. Very open, clear & alive sounding. I like it better than a Gibson SJ200.
Was that possibly an F-55? The D-55 is a dreadnought body, the F-55 is a jumbo.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post

The only time that Guild has any quality issues was when they tried a new neck design that failed them.
These guitars were sold as seconds and many were not playable.
Guild should have destroyed all of these guitars and never let them hit the market.
These guitars were built in Corona California.
You are referring to their Contemporary Series that ran from 2006-2008. I own two of these guitars, and they are excellent. I've also had a couple through my shop. One had a neck issue related to the new design, but it was an easy fix, and that guitar is still in service.

They did have QC problems with a few about the time they were in the middle of ownership and plant location change. They dumped their remaining stock to a reconditioning company that went through them and sold them as seconds. Some of these had problems, most were fine. A couple of guitar forums, including this one I think, had long threads about one person's bad experience with them, and that reputation stuck, but for the most part is undeserved.

I'm a big Guild fan... have four Guilds. My biggest complaint is their skinny necks, which is why I snatched up the two Contemporary Series guitars because they have 1-3/4" nuts.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 PM

The new Oxnard Guilds are nothing less than Stellar. Up until I gifted it to my Grand Daughter awhile back this 72 D40 was my main acoustic since new. Back then the D40 was known as the poor mans D18 because they cost less at the time. My take on it has always been that preconceived notions actually do have the ability to alter perceptions of reality.

Last edited by PAPADON; 01-24-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:11 PM

Over here in Australia they are not well represented in the music stores, TBH I doubt I've ever seen a US made one hanging on a wall anywhere (quite a few Chinese made ones though).

Of all the American manufacturers here Martin & Taylor are both well represented at all levels, Gibson are but to a lesser extent than the previous 2 & as far as I can tell US made Guilds are hardly existent here.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 01-24-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Played a Guild D55 Maple Arch back jumbo at NAMM last week. I was very impressed. Very open, clear & alive sounding. I like it better than a Gibson SJ200.
I think you meant to say an F55. Guild jumbos are some of the best 6 and 12 string guitars made.
Jerry
Old 01-24-2020, 08:31 PM

Blame Taylor. Don't get your hackles in an uproar. Let me explain. There is only so much market share. The industry used to be Martin, Gibson, Gibson, Guild - and everyone else. When Taylor came into the industry, with a growing market share and good distribution, someone had to suffer. No one has ever criticized Guild from a quality standpoint more than any other company. However, when a new presence comes into the industry they take market-share from everyone. Add in Chinese instruments (to a lesser degree) entering the market with low manufacturing costs.....

When you take market-share from the giant Martin plus Guild, Gibson, Epiphone, Guild, Ovation... - and you take a similar market-share from each of these companies (let's say 10,000,000 per year), you take a small share from Martin, a moderate share from Gibson, a massive share from Guild...... Then compound this with distribution requirements that make every retailer stock/sell a certain amount of product from every distributor/manufacturer, you leave someone with 2,000 square feet of retail space the need to make a decision about what products to sell and stock in their 2,000 square feet.

When Martin, Taylor or Gibson says "you have to stock 10 different models and sell X thousand a year to maintain your dealership - you doom one, or more, brands to exclusion.

So any time a new company successfully enters the market (think Starbucks or Taylor Guitars) someone has to take a back seat. Ask Sears, Montgomery Wards, Radio Shack......
Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
I recently bought a new guitar...a Guild D-40 Traditional. I spent a long time trying to decide on a guitar but it came down to the Guild vs a Martin D-18. It was a tuff choice for me. But the Guild won out. It seems to my ear that the Guild balances the low to highs a bit better. I am surprised I do not hear much about this guitar. It is a cannon like the D-18. Similar tones but different in a good way
I knew nothing about Guilds. Last week a friend let me play his 1970's maple dreadnought with arched back, and it sounded at least as good as my 1969 Martin D-35.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:24 PM

Someone posted above that Guilds quality suffered at some times, but to be honest, it didn't. They have probably been MORE consistent than the others. No matter the location.

The only misfire was the experiment with a bolt on neck in the Contemporary Series. It was a good try. The guitars I've played in that series sound really good. I bought one last year. It had a very small hump in the fretboard, where it goes over the body. Well, I took it apart and by trying a few things got it about dead flat. If you see one, take it down and play it !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion