The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 AM

Default The Value of Comfort.

Hopefully this is worth sharing.
Two years ago I bought a cheap Sigma (A.M.I. in the States now i think?) Model OMM-ST less than £250 (U.K.) I liked the body size ,nut width, satin finish, and I could take it out without worrying and leave more costly guitars at home.
Of course it left much to be desired, a pale unappealing spruce top, vague tuners, inferior tone etc ,and as a few months passed I began to lose respect for it and played it very little.
A friend had expressed an interest in learning guitar so thinking it a good thing to do I passed it on to him and more or less forgot about it.
I played it again for the first time since giving it away a few weeks ago and could not believe how good it felt. The shortcomings didnt matter, it was just so very comfortable to play. Its now back home with me,and I cant put it down. I swapped my friend a classical guitar for it (which,luckily, is the way he wants to go now), so guess I bought the Sigma twice !
We spend time researching our purchases, sometimes obsessing over construction, woods, brand, quality and price, but comfort is a big deal too (for me anyway) , and adds a value all of its own.
Comfort experiences anyone?

Last edited by NotveryGood; 01-24-2020 at 05:22 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 01-24-2020, 04:46 AM

I find comfort can manifest in surprising ways.

I went through a phase of thinking I needed an 0 size guitar “for the couch” but realised after a while that OMs are just as comfortable for me (and sound better, YMMV).

I also bought a Gibson Jumbo J-185….which although large is very comfortable seated because its tight waist* causes the guitar to tesselate nicely with my body.

*Unlike mine
Old 01-24-2020, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Comfort has always mattered to me, but much more now that I have a hand injury on my fretting hand. I have some terrific guitars that I have acquired, and they now sit, unplayed. What was comfortable, no longer is.

Because I want to keep playing, comfort is at the top of the list for me. Take it from me, great sounding guitars are wonderful, but if they hurt, they don’t get played.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 AM

I would consider getting one of the new Eastman acoustic guitars just to try their new chamfered models:
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/acous...source=eastman
I don't mind dreads digging into my right arm as much as my jumbo models.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:33 AM

I sold a dread because my shoulder complained, so I certainly believe comfort is part of the equation.

But I would never put physical comfort over musical comfort. For my playing a guitar with little sustain makes me very musically uncomfortable.

All choices for me start with sound. Next I need some playing comfort - string spacing, nut/neck width. I think most guitars are attractive (with a few ridiculously so), so I don't really consider that aspect unless the guitar is actually revolting.

I usually stand when I play, which probably makes body shape comfort easier to come by.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-24-2020, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Having a guitar that isn't comfortable to you is like having a SO that you don't care to be around. What's the point?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I've found that Emerald carbon fiber guitars https://emeraldguitars.com are more ergonomically comfortable than any other guitars I've ever played. Curves and angles are designed into the right places so it's more like you embrace the guitar than merely hold onto it...

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

As someone who has let go of a couple of great guitars due to ergonomic needs, I can totally relate. Comfort is as important as tone to me. I can't have one without the other. I was fortunate enough to have a couple of my guitars' necks shaved down and re-shaped due to a nagging fretting hand finger injury and it made all of the difference in my being able to keep those stellar guitars playable for my hands. The most recent custom guitar that I commissioned is working out great since I found a reputable luthier within driving distance. We worked out the specs that I knew would keep both my ears and my hands very happy.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Nice topic that hits home with me as I have a Gibson dread that's been my main axe since buying it used in 04. Now I've added a couch beater Yamaha FS-800 and reach for it way more often than the dread because it's just more comfortable to play. Thanks for starting this thread notverygood.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:30 PM

I appreciate and respect the feeling that comfort is as important as tone. I just couldn't be more different in my feeling on the issue.

I have pain when I play and until I can't deliver a 2 hour performance, I'll play my GA McCollum and be far more pleased than if I hurt a bit less and played 4 hours on a smaller bodied guitar.

Isn't it great we're all different?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-24-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Comfort has always mattered to me, but much more now that I have a hand injury on my fretting hand. I have some terrific guitars that I have acquired, and they now sit, unplayed. What was comfortable, no longer is.

Because I want to keep playing, comfort is at the top of the list for me. Take it from me, great sounding guitars are wonderful, but if they hurt, they don’t get played.
I'm with you here Kori. I bought that Bourgeois and Lowden 2-4 weeks ago and they, along with most my other guitars, are just sitting because acoustic is too much for my fingers right now. Electric is what is comfortable to me right now. It's no fun playing around pain.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:57 PM

I am currently building a thin beveled lightweight guitar for myself. First a nylon one and then hopefully a steel string. The Emerald leg cut looks a bit much, the arm a little skimpy.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:22 AM

I have never found a guitar to be less than comfortable. There are guitars I wouldn't choose to sit on the couch with - but that's not the guitar. That's the poor playing position. While standing, I've never found one guitar to be less comfortable than any other guitar and sitting on a stool with proper height, I again have never felt uncomfortable. I, like many, played an Ovation in the '80's that never slipped or felt anything other than the same as every other guitar I've played. A different position may be warranted for an 00 vs. an OM or a dread but none have felt uncomfortable.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Nice topic that hits home with me as I have a Gibson dread that's been my main axe since buying it used in 04. Now I've added a couch beater Yamaha FS-800 and reach for it way more often than the dread because it's just more comfortable to play. Thanks for starting this thread notverygood.
Thank you for your kind words.I have a real affection for the Sigma. Its a big deal for me how my fingers fall on the neck. Some of us can effortlessly play any guitar regardless of body size or neck profile, but I cant. I find it easier to play songs on the Sigma, which is making me practise more. On my other guitars its more of an effort.
The Sigma is like an old friend comfortable and easy to be around. My other guitars by comparison though they look and sound great now seem to laugh at me ,and reluctantly let me pick them up ,like snobbish aquaintances who think they are doing a favour by being in your company. The variety is good ,and its nice to have choice (and I would hate to be limited to only a "cheap" guitar) but I have certainly found more to think about when considering value and worth.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 01-25-2020 at 03:09 AM. Reason: corrrection
Old 01-25-2020, 04:13 AM

I just bought a new guitar and it's really comfortable and easy to play. I know I'm going to play it a lot. The great thing about the neck and the action is that they make it easy to use correct hand position because I don't have to strain or stretch at all.

I picked up one of my older guitars this morning and I found it easier to play than usual. I wonder if that's because I spent a last night doing all the right things over and over again.

Edit: correcting a typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion