The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 10:47 AM

Default Don't Purchase OR Sell For 1 Year

As a lifelong guitarist I think back to when I was a young player in my late teens - 20's. I was building my chops and connections while taking every gig I possibly could. If I got called to fill in on a live gig or recording session I could be there, depending on L.A. traffic, in 30-60 minutes. The one thing I never had to worry about is what guitar to grab because - I had two. One acoustic and one electric. I always had the two until the late 80's when I got a second acoustic. The short of this is I knew every millimeter of those guitars. I knew how they sounded with different strings. I knew how they performed in different tunings. I knew how they amplified. I knew every nuance about them. Because we spent every hour, of every day, together. We were inseparable.

Today I still have a modest number of working tools and still know every fret and nuance of every guitar I have - because I don't buy, sell, trade guitars weekly, monthly or quarterly..... I buy a special guitar and become one with it so that I can make it do what I want it to do. With my control of the instrument it makes me sound - like me. That's something you can't do when the guitar sits in a case for months at a time because you're noodling around with other guitars. It's just like a relationship with a girl/boy friend or spouse. If you're always on the prowl, you can never develop that bond that can take you any & everywhere with that someone (even guitar) special. Stop looking at specs. Just pick up a guitar and when it speaks to you, buy it and then play the snot out of it. The world worked that way, without complication, for decades/centuries.

I see many people who are obviously seeking something. They clearly don't know what that is because they spend all their time buying and selling. Sometimes I read NGD postings where someone says "these are the 3 (or more) guitars I picked up this week." When I see that, I cringe and move on knowing I will see most or all of them for sale within a month or more. Every great guitarist can be identified by the one guitar that either got them where they are or the guitar that they've been seen playing for decades. There's a reason for that and it doesn't matter what the guitar is. What matters is that they spent years mastering that instrument.

I challenge anyone who is in that cycle of looking, buying and selling guitars, that is wasting a lot of good guitar-playing time searching for something they'll never find, until the create a special bond with one instrument, to stay out of stores, stay off internet guitar stores, stay out of the classifieds - and master just one of those guitars you're so proud to show ownership of - but not true mastery of. After a short year, I guarantee you will be miles ahead of where you are in guitar satisfaction and ability.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:53 AM

The last guitar I bought was my D-18 in 2017.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-23-2020, 10:55 AM

I don’t plan to ever buy another guitar if I can help it. The two I have are keepers.

I do still like talking guitars on the forum though and admiring other peoples.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM

On the other hand, some people enjoy buying and selling guitars as much as they enjoy playing them. If guitars represent a hobby for someone, there's no moral superiority to any method of exploring that hobby.

For me, I enjoy playing more than buying /selling, so that's what I do. I don't expect others to enjoy life the same way I do.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 AM
Guest 33123

It's a vicious cycle, that GAS trip. I suffer from it at times. As Milan Kundera wrote: "Life Is Elsewhere." Often what you actually need is right in front of you. You just need to stop looking past it.

Plus it is easier to buy, sell and trade guitars than it is to actually dedicate yourself to daily, productive practice. IMHO. YMMV.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 01-23-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I challenge anyone who is in that cycle of looking, buying and selling guitars, that is wasting a lot of good guitar-playing time searching for something they'll never find, until the create a special bond with one instrument, to stay out of stores, stay off internet guitar stores, stay out of the classifieds - and master just one of those guitars you're so proud to show ownership of - but not true mastery of. After a short year, I guarantee you will be miles ahead of where you are in guitar satisfaction and ability.
I suppose you also carry a pin around so you can pop any child's balloon you happen to encounter.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I know that I spend more time talking about guitars and enjoying the nuances of them than becoming a better player. I also am guilty of enjoying the hunt and the adventure of exploring something new and different.
I pretty much now have the guitars that work for me just fine so no excuses for simply dedicating more time to becoming a better player. But, I know that won't stop me from hanging out here and ogling wonderful offerings in the Custom Shop and browsing guitar stores just for the fun of it.

Of course, MMM, I agree with you - if I gave it a year of swapping out talking/browsing time with playing time, I would no doubt be a better player and bond more with the wonderful guitars that I am fortunate enough to own and play.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Today I still have a modest number of working tools and still know every fret and nuance of every guitar I have - because I don't buy, sell, trade guitars weekly, monthly or quarterly..... I buy a special guitar and become one with it so that I can make it do what I want it to do. With my control of the instrument it makes me sound - like me.
Thanks for your post.I have only sold one guitar and still own my first four, and then some more that I don't need but also don't need to let go. I look through the classifieds on AGF sometimes and am amazed at some of the "frequent flyers" who churn fairly high-end guitars regularly, only after a few months of owning them. Maybe for some people it's a hobby to try out a large range of fancy guitars, and I wish they'd provide some samples of what they actually play on them. I am also curious about the financial implications, and if some of them actually have some ability to buy low and make a regular profit and living from guitar churning.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I know that I spend more time talking about guitars and enjoying the nuances of them than becoming a better player. I also am guilty of enjoying the hunt and the adventure of exploring something new and different.
I pretty much now have the guitars that work for me just fine so no excuses for simply dedicating more time to becoming a better player. But, I know that won't stop me from hanging out here and ogling wonderful offerings in the Custom Shop and browsing guitar stores just for the fun of it.

Of course, MMM, I agree with you - if I gave it a year of swapping out talking/browsing time with playing time, I would no doubt be a better player and bond more with the wonderful guitars that I am fortunate enough to own and play.

Best,
Jayne
I think we're all here because we enjoy playing, talking and even buying guitars. Obviously nothing amiss about any of that. However, the endless need for immediate gratification is what I believe drives the endless "seeking" for a non-existent grail. You know, "I bought a new XXX guitar and I still sound like I did before." One of the best players I've ever known has an old '70's Sigma that he as taken around the world and beat to death that he massages the most delicate sounds out of. This is simply a challenge for those who are never satisfied, no matter what brand or model guitar they buy, to stick with one for a year and see where it takes you. Again, I guarantee you'll be amazed at how good a well-owned, well-played, well-loved guitar will make you feel. You don't need a machine to "play in" your guitars. You don't need a rasp, file or screwdriver to artificially relic your guitars. You need only to play them any and everywhere you go and they will take on their own well-lived look and sound.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:32 AM

ManyMartinMan: that’s some great advice!

(as I sit here with 15 guitars, lol)
Old 01-23-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I challenge anyone who is in that cycle of looking, buying and selling guitars, [/B]that is wasting a lot of good guitar-playing time searching for something they'll never find, until the create a special bond with one instrument, to stay out of stores, stay off internet guitar stores, stay out of the classifieds - and master just one of those guitars you're so proud to show ownership of - but not true mastery of. After a short year, I guarantee you will be miles ahead of where you are in guitar satisfaction and ability.

Ok, sounds good! I will start right after i buy just this last one...
Old 01-23-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I think we're all here because we enjoy playing, talking and even buying guitars. Obviously nothing amiss about any of that. However, the endless need for immediate gratification is what I believe drives the endless "seeking" for a non-existent grail. You know, "I bought a new XXX guitar and I still sound like I did before." One of the best players I've ever known has an old '70's Sigma that he as taken around the world and beat to death that he massages the most delicate sounds out of. This is simply a challenge for those who are never satisfied, no matter what brand or model guitar they buy, to stick with one for a year and see where it takes you. Again, I guarantee you'll be amazed at how good a well-owned, well-played, well-loved guitar will make you feel. You don't need a machine to "play in" your guitars. You don't need a rasp, file or screwdriver to artificially relic your guitars. You need only to play them any and everywhere you go and they will take on their own well-lived look and sound.

Words to live and play by. It's always good to get back to "center". Thanks for reminding us.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM

When you get to a certain age you realize that you are not going to improve much in most fields of endeavor. This is particularly true with guitar playing. You don't want to change playing styles and you don't want to take any more lessons. In other words, you are satisfied with the level of playing that you are at. So, if you are not going to improve much as a player you can only improve by having a better sounding, looking, quality or suitable instrument. When you buy a guitar you can't fully evaluate it by only playing it a few times, or maybe not even playing it at all, before buying it. Over time you realize that the guitars you bought are not producing the sounds you now want and they may not look or feel quite right. Searching for guitars, checking out different guitars, studying the specs. and buying and selling guitars becomes a hobby. You become a bit of a collector. There's nothing wrong with anybody, at any level, trying to find something that is different or better that will inspire them to play more and give them more personal satisfaction.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

No offense intended, but I can't help but feel a sense of irony for advise to stick with one guitar from a username of ManyMartinMan.

I had one guitar for nearly 20 years - an Ovation Balladeer. I used it to produce an album and played it constantly (when I wasn't pre-occupied with playing keyboards). It wasn't until around 5 years ago I realized what value there would be in having an all wood guitar rather than the synthetic round back I had for so long. When that guitar started showing serious structure problems I began the quest for "my" guitar that is still ongoing. I make no apology for the number of guitars I've bought and sold in that quest.

I ended up with one keeper so far - my Yamaha LJ6 - which has laminated rosewood back/sides. That has led me to try and find the permanent all-solid-wood guitar, though I have vacillated between rosewood and mahogany/sapele. But I do sense the quest has slowed and I'm enjoying the fruits of my buy/sell labor.

Looking at guitars sometimes substitutes for practice time because my opportunities to practice is very limited - whereas looking at guitars can be done anywhere there's a GC or a data connection. I'm never going to make a living playing music (much as I dreamed to do at one time). Picking up my LJ6 (or my Martin Djr) for a few minutes at night just before heading to bed makes the day feel complete.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:12 PM

Default Don't Purchase OR Sell For 1 Year

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion