The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Ok, stage presence then.
Yes. And just figuring out short song introductions is enough to start.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Folk clubs always had "ARTS" (A Right To Silence) which I also have in my club, although as there is a bar at the end of the room, the pub provides a p.a, into which I put one condenser mic.
I run my club on "contributions" - the pub doesn't charge or pay, just likes us to fill the room and sell some booze.

Open mics, I believe, are hired by the pub, and don't charge admission.

Most of my folks are happy to "pay to play' (a minimal amount).
That sounds like the kind of club I'd like to visit! Whereabouts are you?

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 01-23-2020, 05:51 AM

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When it does, I think it's cool. When it doesn't, I simply don't care.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-23-2020, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
That sounds like the kind of club I'd like to visit! Whereabouts are you?
West Sussex.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
West Sussex.
Bugger!

Although, I'm down that way occasionally with work, and I've got a week's holiday in Dorset at Easter...

Where can I find some details?

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
OK, please don't throw any verbal bricks at me ... but I generally don't like to go to open mics at for-profit places such as bars. Why? Because the business owners are just using me and others as free entertainment. Sometimes I have been asked to pay a cover charge just so I can provide some free entertainment.
(Oh, here we go again!) Yes, there are for-profit places doing this - and when I encounter 'hosts' who are running the open mic for free, I confront them about it. But the best open mics around (here, anywhere) are ones that are run by hosts who are paid by the venue to host. These tend to be run more professionally, smoothly, better sound and better participants and audience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Also consider that open mics ( unless both the performers and audience consume significant amounts of food and beverage ) typically generate only marginal income for the business. Most businesses allowing open mics are lucky to brake even, let alone make any significant profit. Which is why open mic's have declined in number, because if they were a real profit maker they would popping up like weeds in spring
Exactly ^^ these are not huge money-making things. But around here, the number of open mics has increased - but mostly because hosts are doing it for free or cut rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russchapman View Post
People don't always quiet down, no matter the quality of the music or the whisper-like volume of the performer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I play a lot of open mics and on more than one occasion have witnessed noisy crowds calming down for quieter (normal-volume ) performers, one of which was me. The last time that happened, they didn't stay quiet through the whole song, which means I couldn't hold them for whatever reason, a good lesson--likely because what I was doing was pretty average. Another local performer, a much better singer, held them through two or three songs all the way through.

Of course other times even when it was merited, I've seen nonstop noise even through an excellent, quieter performance, likely everyone was more in the bag by then.
Very true. It really depends on the venue itself, not just the performer.

Quote:
Open mics are a proving ground for performing. It's not so much what the venue gets out of it, it's what you get out of it.
This is the proper attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Personally, I love open mics. I've done acoustic wallpaper gigs where I was paid and would much rather do 3-5 songs, try new things, meet old and new music friends, see what others are doing, leave when I get tired, etc.
Exactly!!! I do gigs and playing for 3+ hours to people who only half listen to you, or to a few who do pay attention, can get 'old' in a hurry. It's great to go to an open mic, have a beer while you listen to others, do a few songs, and then continue to socialize with other musicians.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes. And just figuring out short song introductions is enough to start.
Indeed, both the verbal and musical kind.
Nothing kills audience enthusiasm like either a long winded verbal blather or tedious noodling before getting to the song.

As well as (with rare exception) the song themselves being more than 3 or so minutes long.
All of which are basically for the benefit and the self indulgence , of the performer.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-23-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Indeed, both the verbal and musical kind.
Nothing kills audience enthusiasm like either a long winded verbal blather or tedious noodling before getting to the song.

As well as (with rare exception) the song themselves being more than 3 or so minutes long.
All of which are basically for the benefit and the self indulgence , of the performer.
Some people are just very likeable and down to earth - they can get away with what others couldn’t. Joan Baez and John Prine are good examples of people who talk on stage but don’t bore the audience or come across as obnoxious. I’ll agree there is nothing worse than talking about yourself at length though.

For me long songs are ok if: the lyrics are interesting; the melody is interesting; and they’re not overly repetitive. Songs that are long because the artist keeps repeating lines over and over or going “oooh aaaah” drive me mad.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM

some years ago our "acoustic" quartet was featured at an open mic. The guy doing the sound couldn't get things right. In frustration I told him to kill the PA, we'd do it acoustically. (Great room, like a large log cabin, all wood, natural reverb)

The usually noisy audience went dead silent, and we played our 30 minute set. We got many compliments, some saying it was the best sound they'd heard in that place in a long time.

Louder is never "better" it's just "louder".
Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 AM

And I'm reminded of the time I solo'd at a usually raucous open mic, and got a slot after a jam band. The band was very loud, and the audience louder. When the host introduced me as I was sitting down he said, on mic, much to my surprise, "Denny is singer, not a screamer. If you want to hear him, you'll have to be quiet and listen." Evidently they did, and I was lucky to choose a first song that captured their attention for the rest of my set. If you can't get 'em at low volume, you won't get 'em at ear-splitting levels, either.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So by comparison I played a folk club tonight as support for the feature act. First time I have felt stage fright in quite a while, I ended up changing my set on the spot from fingerpicked stuff to strummed as my hands were trembling quite badly. I am not used to the audience sitting so close and such bright lighting. On the plus side the room was completely silent, which was absolutely necessary as I opted to sing and play unamplified. When the average age in the room is 60 you also don’t get the usual smartphone addicts, which is my biggest annoyance at open mics.

I played all my own songs and I think they went down well. Several people thanked me afterwards. In terms of skill I think I was on the same level as the feature act people paid to see, which is nice as I have only been playing under three years. She had excellent stage craft and banter though, something I don’t do much. Also she varied between self-written and folk standards. There is nothing wrong with covers but I song write so much I only wish to do my own material most the time.

Lowden performed extremely well, the volume is considerably more than my 00015m so it worked well without amplification.

It was a fun night though. Fingers crossed they ask me back to do the feature spot.
Nice job! I listened to a few of your tunes and I'm impressed if you've only been playing for 3 years. I couldn't even keep time at 3 years.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

There was a rather cheesy ad campaign

But it reinforces Andy's idea.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Some people are just very likeable and down to earth - they can get away with what others couldn’t. Joan Baez and John Prine are good examples of people who talk on stage but don’t bore the audience or come across as obnoxious. I’ll agree there is nothing worse than talking about yourself at length though.

For me long songs are ok if: the lyrics are interesting; the melody is interesting; and they’re not overly repetitive. Songs that are long because the artist keeps repeating lines over and over or going “oooh aaaah” drive me mad.
Oh don't misunderstand I do think engaging with the audience is key to a good entertaining performance. BUT a long winded introduction isn't.

And note I did say "with rare exception" on a long song. For example when I gigged I would on occasion cover Canadian Railroad Trilogy, and it always got great audience reaction, but it is a very rare masterpiece of a song that is engaging and interesting . And remember we are discussing open mic's

As a matter of fact I happen to be practicing Can. Trilogy for an upcoming (very specific) open mic, at which I know the predominately older audience will appreciate.

And yes I will almost always mention the author of a cover and sometimes a quick (hopefully humorous) quip about it. But over all in this I adhere pretty much to, less is more

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Nice job! I listened to a few of your tunes and I'm impressed if you've only been playing for 3 years. I couldn't even keep time at 3 years.
Thanks very much! Some recent songs were co-written with a more experienced friend like the one in my signature (I wrote and sang the lyrics to a melody he came up with) but I do a lot of solo stuff too.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:24 AM

I played a gig once where the audience was quite loud. I turned down and lo-and-behold!

No one could hear me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion