The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 08:40 AM

I typically like a nice big rosewood dread-ish guitar and one in mahogany, so I'm probably no help.

The Taylor T3 is a decent semi-hollow as long as it has alnico pickups. HD pickups, nah. HG pickups can sound good if you cut the vol+tone a bit. QC and overall value is pretty good compared to something like Gibson.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Does it have to be a Gibson? An Eastman T386 would get you 95% of a 335 at 1/3 the price. And you’d get the wider nut too.

Then you’d save enough to get a 317 to complete the set. Just sayin...

John
Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Just curious... What is the vintage wiring kit? [link?]
If I were playing my Dot more I'd upgrade the pickups. Thanks for the tip on the SD Antiquities. I'll have to look into them when it's time. I think my Dot is the only guitar I haven't tinkered at all with (except to remove the ugly "E" on the PG). I take that back... I did scotchbrite, then re-buff the neck to take down the gloss a bit to remove the stiction.
I have the antiquities in my older MIK Sheraton and they’re really great pickups. Very smooth sounding.

I love a good semi hollow and I have my Sheraton and a custom handmade one that was gifted to me. A 335 is on my wishlist one day, but my electric playing comes and goes in phases, which is one reason I haven’t invested the same money into my electric gear. Are the SC245 and the Les Paul in your signature covering similar ground? Those are two similar style guitars and I would sell one of them to finance the 335 if they were similar.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I have the antiquities in my older MIK Sheraton and they’re really great pickups. Very smooth sounding.

I love a good semi hollow and I have my Sheraton and a custom handmade one that was gifted to me. A 335 is on my wishlist one day, but my electric playing comes and goes in phases, which is one reason I haven’t invested the same money into my electric gear. Are the SC245 and the Les Paul in your signature covering similar ground? Those are two similar style guitars and I would sell one of them to finance the 335 if they were similar.

The PRS and LP are actually quite different. The PRS is cleaner and thinner and the Les Paul is fatter and darker. I plan on putting a Bigsby on the LP and am going to use the PRS for hard rock and the LP for my contemporary Praise and Worship stuff.

Back to the GPs, I just realized something. 517 vs 717 is sort of akin to LP vs 335. Same ballpark, different teams. I can see myself moving from comparing acoustics to comparing electrics. With gain, I’m sure the electric guitars would sound similar.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The PRS and LP are actually quite different. The PRS is cleaner and thinner and the Les Paul is fatter and darker. I plan on putting a Bigsby on the LP and am going to use the PRS for hard rock and the LP for my contemporary Praise and Worship stuff.

Back to the GPs, I just realized something. 517 vs 717 is sort of akin to LP vs 335. Same ballpark, different teams. I can see myself moving from comparing acoustics to comparing electrics. With gain, I’m sure the electric guitars would sound similar.
Get a Custom shop Tele. :-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-03-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post

Acoustisonic!

They tell us you can do everything with it.

https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/acoust....html?rl=en_US

BluesKing777.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Acoustisonic!

They tell us you can do everything with it.

https://shop.fender.com/en-AU/acoust....html?rl=en_US

BluesKing777.
Definitely NOT. (IMO) ...those are all jack of all trades, masters of none. Cool tool that is versatile but unremarkable compared to a great tele or great acoustic.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-04-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Definitely NOT. (IMO) ...those are all jack of all trades, masters of none. Cool tool that is versatile but unremarkable compared to a great tele or great acoustic.
I was kidding....

BluesKing777.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
haha well, I was a single coil man for most of my late teens and 20s, but my 30s have seen me shift to low output buckers. A good set of vintage PAF style buckers coupled with the right set up can really sound like fat single coils!

I played around with the pickup height on my LP all weekend and I can't believe how good it sounds. I might have just found my sound!
Old 11-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
haha well, I was a single coil man for most of my late teens and 20s, but my 30s have seen me shift to low output buckers. A good set of vintage PAF style buckers coupled with the right set up can really sound like fat single coils!

I played around with the pickup height on my LP all weekend and I can't believe how good it sounds. I might have just found my sound!
My PRS 594 has their 58/15LT (low turn pickups) They are incredibly great low output humbuckers. When they are coil tapped, the single-coil sound is superb are more clear and pure like single coils. (hotter than typical tele single coils) Amazing guitar. Mine is a semi-hollow too. It's not a 335 sound but can get a little more 'air' than a solid body.

Sorry if this sounds like a derail from the thread, but since the discussion was t sell the 717 to fund a semi hollow Gibson ES335, it seemed on topic.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
My PRS 594 has their 58/15LT (low turn pickups) They are incredibly great low output humbuckers. When they are coil tapped, the single-coil sound is superb are more clear and pure like single coils. (hotter than typical tele single coils) Amazing guitar. Mine is a semi-hollow too. It's not a 335 sound but can get a little more 'air' than a solid body.

Sorry if this sounds like a derail from the thread, but since the discussion was t sell the 717 to fund a semi hollow Gibson ES335, it seemed on topic.
Thanks Gary. I'm sure that the 594 is a killer guitar. There is actually a 594 Singlecut Goldtop for sale locally that I'm drooling over. I am just having a whale of a time selling my 517. I really thought it would have sold quicker, and the offers I'm getting for it are laughable to be nice...
Old 11-05-2019, 12:24 PM

GAS make us do crazy things. My recommendation is slow down and let it simmer for a while. It's funny, I go through "acoustic" and "electric" phases thinking "oh I'm an acoustic guy, then..oh I'm Stevie Ray Vaughn" It's ok to go back and forth, in-out of phases. Just enjoy them for what they are when the inspiration hits you. Personally, I'm sitting in a good place right now because I have alot of sonic ground covered with two acoustics (both mahogany BTW, 2 electrics (Strat and a 335-ish) + the GS Mini. Life is good.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:45 AM

Well, I've been pondering on this a while, and I've come to an interesting conclusion. First of all, I love bass and low end in guitar sounds. I shouldn't have fallen so deeply in love with these Grand Pacifics on paper, being that they are Taylor's and truly do lack the low end that Martins have. However, they are thumpy and balanced and that has made for a truly unique and wonderful experience for me.

I've learned that low end is not everything. My 717 is just perfect. I love everything about it and the sound is wonderfully full and robust, woody, and thumpy. My 517 on the other hand, is airy and light sounding, and is a wonderful fingerstyle guitar. It's delicate and chimey.

The key here though is that I do really miss the big low end. So, I am going to start trying out some Martin dreads.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-28-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Not allowed in this subforum.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Well, I've been pondering on this a while, and I've come to an interesting conclusion. First of all, I love bass and low end in guitar sounds. I shouldn't have fallen so deeply in love with these Grand Pacifics on paper, being that they are Taylor's and truly do lack the low end that Martins have. However, they are thumpy and balanced and that has made for a truly unique and wonderful experience for me.

I've learned that low end is not everything. My 717 is just perfect. I love everything about it and the sound is wonderfully full and robust, woody, and thumpy. My 517 on the other hand, is airy and light sounding, and is a wonderful fingerstyle guitar. It's delicate and chimey.

The key here though is that I do really miss the big low end. So, as I wait for my 517 to sell, I am going to start trying out some Martin dreads.
What a great dilemma to have. Let us know how your search for the Martin dread that floats your boat best goes.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-11-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I've learned that low end is not everything. My 717 is just perfect. I love everything about it and the sound is wonderfully full and robust, woody, and thumpy. My 517 on the other hand, is airy and light sounding and is a wonderful fingerstyle guitar. It's delicate and chimey.

The key here though is that I do really miss the big low end. So, as I wait for my 517 to sell, I am going to start trying out some Martin dreads.
Great observations Jonathan. I tend to get seduced by the loudest guitar acoustically. That attribute doesn't make a guitar better either. Ironically, the guitar I play the most is my quietest guitar acoustically. But it has a musicality that is undeniable and it is a joy to play.

It is a wonderful thing making peace and enjoying the instruments you own. There is a saying I love:

It's better to want what you have, ... than to have what you want.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion