The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxlylong View Post
Groberts, I would encourage you to check out the stock TUSQ saddle and pins. I did a huge amount of A/B-ing between the stock TUSQ components and Colossi bone saddle and pins I picked up, with many different kinds of strings. I ultimately went back to the TUSQ. The bone seemed to rob something from the sound I couldn't quite put my finger on. There are a bunch of forum threads where people have switched to bone, but then went back the TUSQ on the J-45.

There are also numerous Youtube videos A/B-ing the standard vs the true vintage J-45(TUSQ vs Bone appointments, among the baked top and other things), and it seems like and even number of comments were in favor of the standard sound. Interesting.

I think TUSQ vs Bone argument is very individual per instrument, but there is something to be said about consistent reports of the stock TUSQ sounding better than bone on the J-45. I remember seeing a thread where the frequency response of TUSQ is more lively than bone, which works better with the the dry J-45 base sound, rounding it out perhaps. Again, YMMV.

I also completely pulled out the Baggs element and went with a Trance Audio Amulet M. Removing the piezo underneath the saddle was a considerable upgrade in acoustic sound. You will need a higher saddle though. Just my 2 cents.

Your 45 sounds GREAT btw!
Your post is very much appreciated. I think you're right about Tusq perhaps being the better material (or as good). I do however love a Bone Nut, but mostly for traditional aesthetic reasons. I've had very good success with Bone nuts over the years as well. As for saddles, I think your point is highly valid as well as countless others.

I am not loving the Baggs Element alone. It has typical piezo quack and my experience with Baggs Anthems has always been great. I have Anthems in a couple acoustics currently. I also have a K&K PWM in a Martin Outlaw and that is more musical and less Piezo-ish than the Baggs Element VTC. But the K&K also lacks a little 'air'. That said, I just configured a new pedal board and used it tonight and it worked great! I could a K&K in the Gibson J-45 Cutaway and remove the Baggs Element. But as you said, I would probably need a Taller / new saddle.

Here's the new Pedal board. I'll make some recordings soon to share the amplified sound.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-01-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
2019 Gibson J-45 Cutaway

My style is not all very traditional, but this guitar inspires me to go down a few twists and turns that are rather new and fun. Yet it seems to play along with my cross picking style reasonably well.

Gary, this right here is reason enough to keep this guitar IMHO. I would say that my J-45 is no where near the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, but it is the most fun to play and it connects me with a folksy side of myself that I didn't think existed. Sure, I could have a killer sounding Martin and play my usual melodic DADGAD stuff and be happy, but tell that to my foot when it's furiously tapping along to a song played on my J-45.

I sense undertones that you like the guitar, but you aren't in love with it. I get that for sure. But don't discount the feeling you get when you play it. I wouldn't expect this guitar to sound nearly as good and articulate as your Martins, but where Martins are a fine wine, your J-45 is a craft beer.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Gary, this right here is reason enough to keep this guitar IMHO. I would say that my J-45 is no where near the best sounding guitar I've ever owned, but it is the most fun to play and it connects me with a folksy side of myself that I didn't think existed. Sure, I could have a killer sounding Martin and play my usual melodic DADGAD stuff and be happy, but tell that to my foot when it's furiously tapping along to a song played on my J-45.

I sense undertones that you like the guitar, but you aren't in love with it. I get that for sure. But don't discount the feeling you get when you play it. I wouldn't expect this guitar to sound nearly as good and articulate as your Martins, but where Martins are a fine wine, your J-45 is a craft beer.
Hi Shades, You make great points. I had a bit of a shift in attitude and did some more bonding this weekend. I am grooving on the J-45 cutaway. Maybe its opening up being a new 2019 model? Maybe I'm just getting more familiar? Either way, it really is a very good guitar and it is FUN to play and I love how it looks. (Call me vain. I know)

This just in. After another round of playing and comparing (Pitting one against another) just to see where they live ...guess what? The Gibson is impressive! In some ways, maybe even more inspiring in its own way.

Check this out and tell me how the Gibson sounds in contrast?

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-01-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
2019 Gibson J-45 Cutaway

I received this new guitar from Sweetwater less than a week ago and I've been bonding and getting acquainted. My style is not all very traditional, but this guitar inspires me to go down a few twists and turns that are rather new and fun. Yet it seems to play along with my cross picking style reasonably well.

I am impressed how loud it is and how it projects with nicely textured tones.

I am slightly concerned the way the Fingerboard drops from the body joint toward the soundhole. It plays and sounds great, but single note runs from the 12th fret and high can be slightly buzzy. So I recorded a couple video's, although I didn't spend a lot of time on the highest notes. I am liking the overall vibe, tone and sound of the guitar I may very well make peace with it. I'll have my guitar tech take a look and tell me if there is trouble ahead with action due to the fingerboard fall off.

That said, here are some video's I made.

Quite good, congratulations!
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

You can play all three embedded videos at the same time. It's awesome! It sounds like Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon!

The guitar sounds great. Fantastic acquisition. Play it in good health!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your post is very much appreciated. I think you're right about Tusq perhaps being the better material (or as good). I do however love a Bone Nut, but mostly for traditional aesthetic reasons. I've had very good success with Bone nuts over the years as well. As for saddles, I think your point is highly valid as well as countless others.

I am not loving the Baggs Element alone. It has typical piezo quack and my experience with Baggs Anthems has always been great. I have Anthems in a couple acoustics currently. I also have a K&K PWM in a Martin Outlaw and that is more musical and less Piezo-ish than the Baggs Element VTC. But the K&K also lacks a little 'air'. That said, I just configured a new pedal board and used it tonight and it worked great! I could a K&K in the Gibson J-45 Cutaway and remove the Baggs Element. But as you said, I would probably need a Taller / new saddle.

Here's the new Pedal board. I'll make some recordings soon to share the amplified sound.

Couple questions on your pedals:

-How do you like your Seraphim compared to other reverbs you have used?

-Red Eye Preamp. Do you mostly only used it when using your K&K pickup or do you use it with your Anthem as well? I ask because KK is passive and Anthem is active.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Hi Shades, You make great points. I had a bit of a shift in attitude and did some more bonding this weekend. I am grooving on the J-45 cutaway. Maybe its opening up being a new 2019 model? Maybe I'm just getting more familiar? Either way, it really is a very good guitar and it is FUN to play and I love how it looks. (Call me vain. I know)

This just in. After another round of playing and comparing (Pitting one against another) just to see where they live ...guess what? The Gibson is impressive! In some ways, maybe even more inspiring in its own way.

Both Martin's sounded very nice, I especially liked the D18.
I have a 2018 that I love.
Having said that, as a singer who flatpicks and strums, that J45 is pure magic to me, just like mine.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-01-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:

I liked my J-45 the first couple of weeks I had it. In fact, it is the first guitar I can remember owning where the thought of selling it has yet to enter my mind. Most guitars, even the really nice ones, I can see myself selling so I keep them pristine and even keep the plastic on the pickguard. Not so with my J-45. I ripped out the UST and put in a Lyric, and I swapped tuners within weeks. I also have dented it, I've scratched it, and my arm has even rubbed the gloss off of the finish. I've tried buffing it out, but it's just a part of this guitar now. And I love that!

Having said all that, I took it to the beach with me last month. I played it in the humid salty air, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. When I got it home, I noticed that the guitar seems more responsive, louder, and just more open. Harmonically, where my D-18s harmonics were subtle and almost non-existent, the J-45 sounds like a choir singing under my playing. Not as much as say a Martin rosewood dread or my 000-28 I had, but definitely more than any mahogany guitar I've owned.

The J-45 (or maybe it is just mine to me,) is really a special instrument. It's the first >$1500 guitar that I've treated this poorly, yet loved so much. Most Martins I treat like show pieces and I realize that I will probably sell them one day to fund other Martins. Not the J-45. This guitar has become a part of me and I feel like a real country bad boy when I play it, even though I don't sound like one yet....

I said all that to say, when pitting, I doubt you'll ever hear your J-45 sounding better than those Martins. However, I just don't think the J-45 is a "pitting" guitar. I think that it's in the performances where the J-45 just emits a vibe that no other guitar can touch. I'm a fan.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I liked my J-45 the first couple of weeks I had it. In fact, it is the first guitar I can remember owning where the thought of selling it has yet to enter my mind. Most guitars, even the really nice ones, I can see myself selling so I keep them pristine and even keep the plastic on the pickguard. Not so with my J-45. I ripped out the UST and put in a Lyric, and I swapped tuners within weeks. I also have dented it, I've scratched it, and my arm has even rubbed the gloss off of the finish. I've tried buffing it out, but it's just a part of this guitar now. And I love that!

Having said all that, I took it to the beach with me last month. I played it in the humid salty air, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. When I got it home, I noticed that the guitar seems more responsive, louder, and just more open. Harmonically, where my D-18s harmonics were subtle and almost non-existent, the J-45 sounds like a choir singing under my playing. Not as much as say a Martin rosewood dread or my 000-28 I had, but definitely more than any mahogany guitar I've owned.

The J-45 (or maybe it is just mine to me,) is really a special instrument. It's the first >$1500 guitar that I've treated this poorly, yet loved so much. Most Martins I treat like show pieces and I realize that I will probably sell them one day to fund other Martins. Not the J-45. This guitar has become a part of me and I feel like a real country bad boy when I play it, even though I don't sound like one yet....

I said all that to say, when pitting, I doubt you'll ever hear your J-45 sounding better than those Martins. However, I just don't think the J-45 is a "pitting" guitar. I think that it's in the performances where the J-45 just emits a vibe that no other guitar can touch. I'm a fan.
Hi Johnathan, thanks for the Great share!

I totally understand and respect the notion that its not fair to "pit" a J-45 to a Martin D-18. I can't help it though. It helps to differentiate and showcase how unique special the J-45 is. In terms of sparkle the Martin is always gonna win. But in an Organic way, the J-45 has something Very special that is great and has "soul". It inspires in a new way and there is a reason it is a timeless Iconic classic. I've heard it said the J-45 is the most recorded acoustic guitar ever. That may be true, or certainly in the top few.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Great story. Really makes me want a J45!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Hi Johnathan, thanks for the Great share!

I totally understand and respect the notion that its not fair to "pit" a J-45 to a Martin D-18. I can't help it though. It helps to differentiate and showcase how unique special the J-45 is. In terms of sparkle the Martin is always gonna win. But in an Organic way, the J-45 has something Very special that is great and has "soul". It inspires in a new way and there is a reason it is a timeless Iconic classic. I've heard it said the J-45 is the most recorded acoustic guitar ever. That may be true, or certainly in the top few.
You've unleashed the J-45 vibe man!!!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You've unleashed the J-45 vibe man!!!
He has, hasn't he.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
He has, hasn't he.
And it is so hard to explain. I know for fact that mine isn't the best sounding guitar in the world, but man it just WORKS!!!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 AM

Speaking for myself, it is the actuality of having heard the Standard J45 used on so many recordings, its very familiar and that familiarity brings warm and fuzzy memories of great songs.
Then, the reality is it does exactly what it seems destined to do. It's not complex, it's straightforward. It's got SOUL in there that translates well from the player to the listener. It's very fundamental but in the right hands can become complex in its own way, very singular and unique.
For me it's just plain in your face raw and I dig raw.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Speaking for myself, it is the actuality of having heard the Standard J45 used on so many recordings, its very familiar and that familiarity brings warm and fuzzy memories of great songs.
Then, the reality is it does exactly what it seems destined to do. It's not complex, it's straightforward. It's got SOUL in there that translates well from the player to the listener. It's very fundamental but in the right hands can become complex in its own way, very singular and unique.
For me it's just plain in your face raw and I dig raw.
I ordered an LR Baggs Anthem PU for the J-45 Cutaway. It already has a Baggs Element UST, so I figure the Anthem is not going to change its acoustic tone unplugged, but it will give a better amplified tone plugged in.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion