The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Secret O' Life -- Wanderin' by James Taylor (cover)

This is my cover of James Taylor's "Secret of Life" combined with the old folk song, "Wanderin'" using JT's arrangement. I first heard (and watched) him perform this medley on his 1991 video called "Squibnocket" filmed at Martha's Vineyard in his very cool barn. This is a very enjoyable, laid back video: https://www.amazon.com/Squibnocket-J...ds=squibnocket I have always liked the way he strung these two songs together using that Aadd9 chord.

The guitar is my Olson SJ (cedar/EIR), the strings are Martin SP 80/20 light gauge. My wife recently suggested I do this combination of songs, which I often sing to her across the kitchen counter as she makes dinner. (She is such a good cook!)

The "Secret of Life is enjoying the passage of time" line from this song helped me hang onto my sanity during a couple of civil lawsuits over patent issues that spanned 8 years when I was the company's main liaison to our litigation attorneys. Remembering that a person needs to appreciate every day along with the very fun, close-by companionship of our two young grandchildren (and of course my wife and entire family) really helped me through those hard times.

I have been playing this song for a long time and so I know that I have changed many aspects of how I sing this song compared to James Taylor. I love listening to him play this song, but for whatever reason I seem to have gradually come up with my own way of singing this song.

Thank you all for listening!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 05:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Simply wonderful, Glenn! Isn't it amazing how music has the power to help us through difficult times - it has many times in my life as well. Thank you for this
Old 07-09-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
Simply wonderful, Glenn! Isn't it amazing how music has the power to help us through difficult times - it has many times in my life as well. Thank you for this
Hi Larry,

Thank you for the very generous comments and for listening! I do very much agree that music can be very powerful in helping us get through difficult times. I also think that music is very powerful in bringing people together.

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Once again, an over-the-fence home run. This piece is not easy,and your phrasing is spot on.

Thanks for sharing this arrangement with us. James' Squibnocket is indeed a very cool video. Would love to have a place like that to have friends in to play music into the night.

Roger
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Once again, an over-the-fence home run. This piece is not easy,and your phrasing is spot on.

Thanks for sharing this arrangement with us. James' Squibnocket is indeed a very cool video. Would love to have a place like that to have friends in to play music into the night.

Roger
Thanks Roger!

I so appreciate your comments and insight! My phrasing on these two songs, I suppose, is a result of familiarity, as I have been playing these songs for 20-25 years. Some of what I do is just intuitive, but I certainly appreciate your noticing it.

And yes, wouldn't you love to have a beautiful barn like that with all the recording equipment where a pile of friends could come over and make wonderful music!!?? Feel the breeze coming in off the ocean? Total heaven...

Thanks so much Roger!!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM
Guest 33123

Beautiful Glenn. Like you and others music has saved me and sustained me so many times through so many trials. Next to (some of) my family I truly believe it is the key to happiness and well being for me.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, that is absolutely gorgeous! I've heard it, but it has been a long time. I really liked it... better than the original. Keep it up! Excellent suggestion by the expert cook!
Old 07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

I've always been a big James Taylor fan. You did the song proud - a wonderful rendition. Thank you for sharing with us what you usually sing to your wife.
Ibanez AEG Mahogany, '16
Yammie FG-430A, '91
Baby Taylor, '15
Listed in order of usage.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Beautiful Glenn. Like you and others music has saved me and sustained me so many times through so many trials. Next to (some of) my family I truly believe it is the key to happiness and well being for me.
Hi Doug,

Thanks so much Doug! I'm glad you liked this.

I'm also glad to know that music has been so important to you, too, Doug! I can see why!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Glenn, that is absolutely gorgeous! I've heard it, but it has been a long time. I really liked it... better than the original. Keep it up! Excellent suggestion by the expert cook!
Hi Kerbie,

I'm so glad you had time to listen to this, and I so appreciate your comments! I don't know how my version could be better than the original, but I'm very gratified to read that you think so! Thank you!

And yes, the expert cook has an awful lot of words of wisdom. I never put anything up on YouTube or in Show & Tell without her reviewing it first. She is my best critic and longest and greatest fan.

Thanks again, Kerbie!

- Glenn
Old 07-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBill View Post
I've always been a big James Taylor fan. You did the song proud - a wonderful rendition. Thank you for sharing with us what you usually sing to your wife.
Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for listening and taking the time to comment here, Bill!

Actually, I was hesitant to record this because it does have such personal significance for my wife and I. But after she suggested it, I thought, okay, then I'll take a shot at it.

Thank you for your vote of confidence, Bill!

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2017, 12:55 AM

Nice one! I love myself some James Taylor. Especially Fire and Rain =D The intro, and the rest of the guitar parts, are awesome ;D

I will upload videos on a regular basis; enjoy
Old 07-10-2017, 07:56 AM
G625 mistral-k

Glenn,

Thank you for bringing me back to a JT gem! Yesterday, after I finished watching a YouTube video from a link a friend sent, your video popped up as a suggestion and there were zero views, so I watched it. I am now sipping my second cup this morning and enjoying your video again. Thank you for bringing back a classic. The Olson sounds absolutely incredible and as usual your vocals are spot on.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bickb View Post
Nice one! I love myself some James Taylor. Especially Fire and Rain =D The intro, and the rest of the guitar parts, are awesome ;D
Thank you Rick,

I'm glad you could enjoy this JT song.

- Glenn
Old 07-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Glenn,

Thank you for bringing me back to a JT gem! Yesterday, after I finished watching a YouTube video from a link a friend sent, your video popped up as a suggestion and there were zero views, so I watched it. I am now sipping my second cup this morning and enjoying your video again. Thank you for bringing back a classic. The Olson sounds absolutely incredible and as usual your vocals are spot on.
Hi BB,

Oh, how nice that you were able to discover this song on YouTube and then find a thread about it hear on the AGF.

Interesting, too, to think of this song as a classic, but it is about 26 years old. I'm so used to doing this song as part of my everyday repertoire that I had forgotten how long ago JT wrote this song.

The Olson does sound good, doesn't it... It always seems to sound right for a James Taylor song.

Thank you especially for posting your comments here! It's very much appreciated!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell