The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-08-2002, 03:41 PM

Smile looking for help

Since this is my first post, I would like to first off thank you all for allowing me in to your "world". Now, a little about myself. I am a beginning lefty guitar player with some musical knowledge. I studied piano as a kid and know how to read notes somewhat. I am a proud new owner of a Taylor 310ce. Since I am a lefty, I had a hard time finding the right first guitar. However, after taking the Taylor tour(which is 3 miles away from home), I was convinced that it would have to be Taylor guitar. I love the attention to detail and the craftsmanship put into such a product. Not to mention the beautiful sound. After weeks of searching, I found the perfect guitar(which was in stock) at a Taylor dealer in Batimore, MA(while travelling for the company I work for). So I had them ship it to me and what a pleasure it has been. I have enrolled in a beginning guitar class at my local community college and have attended one class so far. I think it is a great class and I could only benefit from what the instructor teaches. But, here is my dilemna. I really want and desire to be a great guitar player and fast. Actually, let me rephrase that statement. I want to be able to play songs and be able to read and play sheet music in as little time as possible. I realize that it will take time and dedication and I am willing. How do I get there and how long will it take? I devote at least 45-90 minutes daily practicing the various individual strings and notes(Hal Leonard Book1-textbook) and have fiddled with a few chords from a chart, but I have no clue as to how you link chords or strum them together to play songs(I can play a pretty good yankee doodle and happy birthday so far). Do I put in more practice time? Do I learn more methods and theory? I have no one or nothing to look to aside from school. I've been researching teachers for lessons, but how do you find a good one? I hope that some of you will provide some insight. Also, I am curious as to how you all started and how you all progressed during the stages of learning how to play. After, 6 mos.? after a year. Please share your insights and comments. Also, could someone explain what Taylorstock is about. I'd love to join you fellow Taylor players since I live just down the street from Taylor(lucky me). Thanks again!!!!
Old 02-08-2002, 04:01 PM

jg24,

welcome to the TGF, the finest collection of people around. As to your many questions, I don't think that there is an universal way of getting good fast, no matter the subject. But who says you have to do it fast? Enjoy the learning process, marvel at your own progress, don't stress yourself out to the point where you won't be able to look at your guitar.

Some suggestions: Relax. Listen to music you like. Try hard to find a guitar buddy. As fun as it is to play by yourself, it is 10 times more fun to play with someone else, and you can consider that free lessons too. Play three half-hour sessions instead of one 90 minutes stretch. Relax. Listen to music you like, identify one style you want to play and put more emphasis on it. In any learning process, it is crucial to set goals to yourself so as to be able to see your progression. Relax. Listen to music you like. Take the time to enjoy the experience.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:21 AM

Welcome jg24! This is a fun place with folks who have all sorts of knowledge and insight. Practice, practice, practice!!!! I"ve been playing for a little while now and I always practice, practice, practice. The guitar class your in is a very good idea, stick with it and dont become discouraged. Have fun with your 310ce and see ya around the forum!
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 02-11-2002, 11:40 AM

I'm a little but no much further along than you. Practicing that
much will certainly help you reach your goals. As a supplement
to the lessons I would recommend the book Uncle Tim's First Year
(www.uncletim.com) which most music stores and some bookstores should have.

It is amusing to me that you live a few miles from the Taylor factory and buy a guitar from a store on the oppsite side of the country. Buffalo Bros not have what ya wanted?
Old 02-11-2002, 02:32 PM

Default Hope this helps

I have been playing on and off for about 25 years. I too took piano lessons when I was young and drums, trumpet, music theory in high school. I played in a local band about for about 2 years, 10 years ago. After I quit the band I didn't pickup my guitar for over 9 years. Now to the point. I started playing again last year and in doing so I realized I don't have very good technique on the acoustic. I forgot how much I loved playing and decided to get serious. Since being pretty much self taught on the guitar I tried and practiced for 6 months without making too much progress. 3 months ago I bought a 710CE-LTD and started taking private lessons. What a huge difference this has made. I know that private instruction is more expensive but having a teacher that can tailor the lessons to your particular wants and needs is invaluable and will help you progress much quicker. Also play with others as much as you can, it's like free lessons. If you can find someone to play with that is willing to give you tips, show you techniques and learn songs to play together, that will probably help you more than anything. I live in your area (near La Mesa) and can suggest a very good teacher which I found after a lot of research and talking to other players and intructors in our area. If you would like his name and telephone send me a private message and I will gladly respond with the information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell