The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 AM

Unhappy Question: Changing Chord Bass Notes

I'm a beginner, and I was wondering if someone could direct me toward a resource for the following problem. I have been trying different variations on chords by changing the bass notes (not even sure if I am using the right terminology).

For example, I can play a simple D chord by using my index, ring, and middle fingers respectively on the G, B, and E strings. The problem is what fingers to use where when I go to other variants. Like D/F# - do I have to reach around with my thumb? And how do I get my fingers to play D/C#? I'm looking at a tab and I don't think my fingers will do that!

Any help?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 01-30-2002, 08:39 AM

D/F#

e 2
B 3
G 2
D 4
A x
E x

D/C#

e 2
B 3
G 2
D 0
A 4
E x

In fingering both of these chords, you can use your index to barre/fret the e,B, and G all at once on the 2nd fret, use the middle or pinky finger on the B, 3rd fret, and the ring on the 4th frets of the D for the D/F# and A for the D/C#. I'm sure there are other ways, but this is how I'd do it if I didn't wanna use the ol' thumb. Hope this helps!

Les

Last edited by Les Regala; 01-30-2002 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:26 PM

Yeah, it's ok to use your thumb if it will reach. There's an old thread about thumb fretting. Do a search.

As for the D/C#, you'll have to use your pinky to reach the C#, which may be difficult for you at first. Keep working at it, you'll get it eventually. If you have a hard time, you can try playing a D2/C# which is the same except you don't fret the high e string.

Ken
Old 02-02-2002, 09:58 AM

Scott,

I reach around with my thumb on the D/F# variant. No doubt it's not the technically correct way, but it works.

A songwriter named Paul Baloche has some instructional videos out that are good. He covers this somewhat in the acoustic video #2. He writes Praise and Worship music, and is a good teacher on these tapes.

PS: We can rejoice that we play Taylors, as this is more difficult on the fatter Martin, etc. necks.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 02-02-2002, 11:31 AM

I play the D/F# with my thumb too. D/C# is harder. I use my pinky and keep the regular D shape, but if that's too difficult, try barring the D like below. Anything is hard when you don't know how to do it, though. Keep practicing and eventually it'll be natural.

Code:

D/F#	    D/C#
E A D G B E     x A D G B E
===========     ===========
| | | | | |     | | | | | |
-----------     -----------
T | | 1 | 2     | | | 1 1 1
| | | | 3 |     | | | | 2 |
| | | | | |     | 3 | | | |

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell