The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Question ?: aux speakers for my H4 zoom

hi folks
just picked up an H4 for banjo camp and i want to have a small set of speakers i can plug in for playback.

has anyone done this?
i was told by the sweetwater(over the phone) salesman that he would supply me a cable and all i need to do is pick up some computer speakers of my choice.
any advice out there on this?

thanks, i'm totally new to this recording thing and i want to use this to capture lessons and examples at the camp.

d
Old 08-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Question

so has anyone out there has used aux speakers on any zoom unit for playback listening?

if so, how'd it sound and what size, brand speakers did you use?

d
Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM

Hi Daryl,

Are you talking about monitoring the recording during the actual recording, or playing it back later?
Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

If you're looking for better than average computer speakers - which are often pretty dire - Acoustic Energy Aego and Audioengine A2 could be worth considering. Better still, Adam A3X if you think some accurate, studio monitors is more the kind of thing you're looking for (note the price is often quoted for one).
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
hi folks
just picked up an H4 for banjo camp and i want to have a small set of speakers i can plug in for playback.

has anyone done this?
i was told by the sweetwater(over the phone) salesman that he would supply me a cable and all i need to do is pick up some computer speakers of my choice.
any advice out there on this?

thanks, i'm totally new to this recording thing and i want to use this to capture lessons and examples at the camp.

d
Do your speakers need to be battery powered? Or can they plug in?

I don't have any specific recommendations, but this is the first criterion I would use to divide the available units.

Next would be budget. Then weight/size.

Without these details it's pretty hard to offer a recommendation.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusORiley View Post
Hi Daryl,

Are you talking about monitoring the recording during the actual recording, or playing it back later?
oops, i should have been more specific.
for playback later after a class.

i just unpacked my H4 and haven't had time to play around with it to see if its loud enough, some folks have told me they are not so loud and one needs earphones, i don't care for earphones so i'd rather have a good quality set of speakers to listen when playing back.

d
Old 08-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Do your speakers need to be battery powered? Or can they plug in?

I don't have any specific recommendations, but this is the first criterion I would use to divide the available units.

Next would be budget. Then weight/size.

Without these details it's pretty hard to offer a recommendation.

Fran
i guess i would say plug-in. had not thought of this situation-thanks for bringing it up.
budget around $100-200.
weight/size not a big issue

thanks
d
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
i guess i would say plug-in. had not thought of this situation-thanks for bringing it up.
budget around $100-200.
weight/size not a big issue

thanks
d
Hi d...

There are tons of inexpensive ($30 range) USB chargeable speakers which will work just fine. The drawback is the USB cable that you have to plug into them even while playing back on a unit like the H4.

There are other interesting portable speakers out there, and if you have AC then any computer speaker in a storm will do.

I'd think the Bose which are around $80 (what we have on one of our home computers) would do an excellent job. Small enough to be portable, plus they are powerful & large enough to sound decent.

Headphones would be another and even more portable option if you don't have to enable others to listen.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi d...

There are tons of inexpensive ($30 range) USB chargeable speakers which will work just fine. The drawback is the USB cable that you have to plug into them even while playing back on a unit like the H4.

There are other interesting portable speakers out there, and if you have AC then any computer speaker in a storm will do.

I'd think the Bose which are around $80 (what we have on one of our home computers) would do an excellent job. Small enough to be portable, plus they are powerful & large enough to sound decent.

Headphones would be another and even more portable option if you don't have to enable others to listen.

thanks for this info Larry, exactly what i was looking for.
the bose sound on target-will check them out.
d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD