The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2001, 10:33 PM

Post Martin d-15

I've been to guitar center , sam ash, mars ect played a TON of guitars ,taylor,larrivee,high end martin ,yamaha ect and for 569.00 which includes the case I could not find a better deal then the martin d-15, it sound great I don't hear a $1000 difference in tone between the taylor 510,710 810, larrivee d-09 although the taylors and larrivee were nice. But again the martin sounded just as good.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:55 PM

Cool

Are they all solid wood? I'd think twice about it if it's laminated.
Old 07-26-2001, 09:24 AM

yep ALL solid mahogany, it sounds real warm and rich
Old 07-26-2001, 11:36 AM
Jim

I hear a substantial difference between the D-15 and the others you mentioned, but the important thing is that you like it and that is exactly what people should buy - not what someone else tells them they should buy.

My wallet wishes I could like the D-15 as much as my 510 but then it tells me that in the long run the 510 will cost less since it is built to last longer and will keep going up in resale value. It is already at the point where I could sell it for a couple of hundred dollars profit over what I paid for it just a few years ago.
Old 07-26-2001, 12:30 PM

Of course the tone of the Martin will be different, it has a mahogany top. If that's the kind of tone you like, then it will sound better to you than all the others.

That D-15 is definitely an excellent deal. But don't forget that tone isn't all you pay for when buying a guitar. The build quality and action are also major factors in what makes a good guitar. Also the cosmetics and the wood grade (Mahogany is generally less expensive than rosewood). Don't forget that the high end Taylors have really nice cases, which must add $100 to the bottom line.

I found that the build quality on the D-15 was not as good as the Taylors and Larrivees.

If I were you, I would also check out the Seagull M6 Spruce (laminate mahogany body, solid spruce top), Larrivee D-3 and D-3R (all solid mahogany/spruce and rosewood/spruce), Taylor Big Baby, and Tacoma DM9 and DM10. All around the same price range as the Martin that represent excellent values.

Use your own ears when deciding. But you might always want to drag along another guitar playing friend for a second opinion.

I found personally that the superstores tend not to take care of their guitars very well, so often times a really high end guitar (like a $3000 Koa Taylor) ends up sounding like junk in the store. You may want to seek out a smaller dealer.

I also found that several years ago when I started playing, my ears (and fingers) weren't able to discern the difference due to my limited experience with guitars.

Not that the differences are so subtle or anything, they're not. Nor am I implying anything about you. Just sharing my own experience.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT:
<STRONG>...569.00 which includes the case I could not find a better deal then the martin d-15... I don't hear a $1000 difference in tone between the taylor 510,710 810...</STRONG>
That does sound like an exceptional value, and I can't imagine the dealer is making much $ on that one, especially since they usually charge extra for the case. I wouldn't try to talk you out of it.

But, out of my brand loyalty, I want to point out something. You're comparing a basic, plain, satin-finished guitar against Taylor's fancier, glossy, more precise instruments. That goes a long way to explaining the price difference. Gloss vs. satin, wood vs. plastic binding in some cases, abalone or wood rosette vs... well, what are those Martin rosettes made of anyway?

Compare that D-15 to a Taylor 310, for example (they don't have a mahogany-top model), and the $ differences shrink considerably, although the D-15 is still less.

For better comparison to a 510, you'd want to look at the D-18, which is also closer in price.

I think the same is true with Larrivee, you're comparing it to one of their upscale appointment packages, rather then the satin-finished versions.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 07-26-2001, 09:01 PM

I just don't hear a $1000 difference in tone between a 510ce and my d-15. I think if you take into account the binding and astetics of the taylors or the higher end martins, larrives that is probably $300-$500 plus the prefix electronics is another $300-$400. The taylors DO sound nice just not $1000 more worth.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:19 PM

John,
I own a D15 and I have to agree with you that I can't hear a $1000 difference between it and the guitars you mention. Of course, it is a lot plainer looking in appearance but I got mine for $450 and felt like I stole it. A few weeks ago I was at a guitar store here in Reno that sells Taylors and Martins. I played everything on the wall and only found one guitar that I would have traded for my D15, and that was the Taylor 710. He'd have sold it to me for $1700, and I may end up with it yet.(I was an easy sell. It's my wife who is taking a little longer to warm up the idea of me getting another Taylor.) But you can't go wrong with a D15, for the money. As has been pointed out, it is solid mahagony and has a very mellow tone.

Rick
Old 07-27-2001, 03:32 AM

Hodagg -

If you ever do get a 710, please share your experiences vs. the D-15. I'm sure many of us would be interested.

After all, it's pretty hard to find a good mahogany topped guitar from any manufacturer.

Ken
Old 07-27-2001, 09:32 AM

I really think that our quest for tone sometimes is colored by what others say and we are constantly looking for what someone else says a particular guitar sound like. At least I can be manipulated that way. Its never ending. All I know is that taylor, martin, and larrivee make great guitars. My friend has a 25th anniversay 314ce all mahogany taylor and my D-15 sounds ALOT like his. He was suprised.
Old 07-27-2001, 03:16 PM

I own a Martin and a Taylor. I have played most of the 15 series guitars. Some sound fairly good...but I don't think I would ever buy one...They just feel cheap in my hands. Very lightweight and seems like they would break very easily. Plus I think that satin finished mahoghany is kinda ugly. Just my opinions though. But my opinion is fair because I am not for one brand. I am for any brand of guitar that sounds great and plays well.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:50 PM

abalone or wood rosette vs... well, what are those Martin rosettes made of anyway?

The rosettes on the 15 series are decals.
Old 08-17-2001, 10:39 AM

Cool

I own many differant brands and while never owning a D-15 i have played a few, While it is solid mahoganey and a very good buy on a solid wood guitar the mahoaney is of poor quality and doesnt come close to the wood on a 500 series taylor. I CAN hear a thousand dollars worth of differance between a 510 and a D-15 (and its really only about 900 doallars differance). The 510 is a top of the line mahoganey guitar and the D15 is bottom line. The 510 also comes in a very nice case. It two differant worlds. If you want a good comparison compare a D15 to a 310. Both solid woods, both come in SKB cases the Taylor is about 250 dollars more but has a gloss finished sitka Top, grover tuners real binding, real rosette and still sounds 1000 dollars better. While the D15 has the Martin name its cheaply built and thats why its cheap. Martin builds some of the finest guitar in the world and has for many years. I think it was a step backwards for them to compromize quality for the sake of captureing the low end market. My persoanl opinion is that a Big Baby will play circles around a D15. But the thing it comes down to is what you like. While I dont like a D15 a lot of people do. While I dont think they sound good I am but one opinion. I am not brand loyal but buy what I like. My outlook is this, While I offer up my opinion to answer your post, I say buy what makes you happy and to heck with what everybody else thinks. JW
Old 08-19-2001, 11:39 PM

I guess we just differ, I don't hear 900.00 difference in tone. I think the D-15 plays/sounds much nicer then the 310, but again thats why I bought it and not the 310.
While I think talyors are nice axes they are to bright for me. Actually one of the nices guitars I've heard is a larrivee DV10E, but that was 2300.00. Ithink tone is so subjective and we are so manipulated by adds, discussions groups ect we constantly try to get what someone else says is the primo tone...Its never ending...
Old 08-20-2001, 08:02 AM

Cool

Youe absolutly right, tone is subjective. Thats one reason so many guitar makers are still in business. Everybody cant like the same thing. The most impotant thing is that you like what you purchace and it seems as though you have. While a lot of people would disagree with the sound I bought a new Epiphone Joe Pass Electric Archtop Jazz Guitar for $499(on sale) it had been in the store on the top rack for a year. I was one of only three people to ever try it out( the reason for the 499 blowout) but I absolutly love it. Its a super guitar, feels good, sounds good, and gets the job done. I dont care who else doest like it its the point that I like it. Im sure your D15 will give you years of great tunes. My advice to all is never buy a guitar because someone else likes it and dont stop yourself because they dont like it. if you buy what you want you will never regret it. Congrats! JW

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification