The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-23-2012, 01:48 PM

Default I need to hide from my family!

Ok let me put this another way. I have pets, a young son, and I need a good portable setup to record solo acoustic stuff. Is this the job for a handheld system like the H2n? Someday I hope to build a studio space for myself but I the near future that is not going to happen. Any suggestions?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 PM

Yes. I think Zooms are good. If you want excellent, maybe try an ipad or latop and a Usbpre2.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJP2779 View Post
Ok let me put this another way. I have pets, a young son, and I need a good portable setup to record solo acoustic stuff. Is this the job for a handheld system like the H2n? Someday I hope to build a studio space for myself but I the near future that is not going to happen. Any suggestions?
Hi NJP...
The H4N might be a better choice as it would permit you to explore places away from the house with more serious mics attached. If you don't need extra high quality recordings then the H2n would be great.

Borrowed church halls, conference meeting rooms, old high ceiling school buildings, stairwells in apartment houses, friends with a large cathedral ceiling family room (when they are on vacation or out for the evening), etc can be interesting to explore.

The main difference with the H2n and H4n is that it permits one to use conventional XLR condenser mics with full 48v phantom power on AA batteries.

I got better than 20 minutes driving 48volt phantom mics with batteries, and 90 minutes at 24 volts.

I usually venture out with just the guitar, recorder, and a camera tripod (to mount the Zoom on). It's lighter and easier to carry and position that a standard mic stand.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Default In order to get away from his wife and take her millions.....

In Fletch, Eric Stratton from Animal House found a homeless dude about his size (Fletch)and staged a break in. Stratton was going to shoot Fletch and put Fletch in his clothes, and toss his body in Stratton's Jaguar filled with gas cans, and torch it. Stratton and his original wife from Provo (making him a bigamist even in Utah).

Unfortunately for Stratton, Sheriff Buford Pussard found out Stratton was ripping him off from their smuggling operation and wrecked his plans. All to an 80's approved Harold Faltermeyer soundtrack.

Now, what was the original question?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thbassbA View Post
In Fletch, Eric Stratton from Animal House found a homeless dude about his size (Fletch)and staged a break in. Stratton was going to shoot Fletch and put Fletch in his clothes, and toss his body in Stratton's Jaguar filled with gas cans, and torch it. Stratton and his original wife from Provo (making him a bigamist even in Utah).

Unfortunately for Stratton, Sheriff Buford Pussard found out Stratton was ripping him off from their smuggling operation and wrecked his plans. All to an 80's approved Harold Faltermeyer soundtrack.

Now, what was the original question?
That made my day!
Old 01-23-2012, 04:06 PM

I hear you, no matter what portable recording set up you decide on, you still need to find a relatively quiet time and place to record without background noise For me, it's later at night when the kids are sleeping. If I had to record final versions of my songs I'd probably rent out a recording studio for a few hours to get the best acoustics and a quiet room.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:53 PM

That is the plan. Renting studio time for full albums record myself for demos and small releases when I can with something that sets up quick and sounds good. Of course money is tight with massive daycare payments so a new computer setup is not very likely

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD