The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-16-2001, 01:25 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Thumbs up 714C

Hi All,
My special ordered 714C arrived at my dealer yesterday and arrived home today. I don't remember if I had posted what my final decision was as to the cut-a-way so here it is: She is a 714C no electronics with an Engleman top and a Florentine cut-a-way. So far I am extremely pleased with the results.
Appearance wise the wood is gorgeous, the rosewood binding looks terrific and the Dark Koa rosette looks great against the light color Engleman top. I have not had much time to play her so far but will follow up with another post.
Old 08-16-2001, 03:09 PM

Hey Capt. Bill. I'm glad you got it. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see it. Anyway, awaiting your thoughts about it.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:46 PM

CaptBill -
Congratulations on the 714C. I'll bet it is beautiful. I favor the florentine cutaway myself. I don't remember if you had said you intended to put electronics in it or not. If you do, I'd be interested in what you use and you opinion of the results.
SM

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 08-17-2001, 07:13 AM

Hey CaptBill,

As buddiesorg already knows, I also got my 714C with a florentine cutaway. But mine has a cedar top and three-piece back and ebony Grovers. I was going for a specific look........the guitar came out as beautiful as I could have hoped and sounds better than any guitar I've ever played, HONESTLY!

I was fortunate enough(through an earlier misfortune) to receive 900 series rosewood for the back and sides(not sure if it's a regular option or if Taylor was just taking care of me because they messed up my first guitar, they said they'd pick out 900 series wood for me).

I absolutely love my guitar. I also enjoy just sitting there and looking at it. I'll be posting pictures here VERY soon and I'd love to see yours as well.......I'm quite partial to the florentine cutaway.

Mike

PS. I had LR Baggs send over to the factory their Duet II system and had Taylor install it for me in their shop(the place that use to be the custom shop). It teams the LB6 Ribbon Transducer with a foam-encased condensor mic that mounts to the body instead of the backside of the pre-amp controls. Also, the control panel doesn't fold out, is smaller than the Fishman OBB, and is a metal piece vs. the OBB's plastic casing. Stereo output, onboard power switch, simple controls, and it sounds tremendous. A true compliment to the guitar's acoustic tone.
Old 08-17-2001, 08:07 AM
Nichols Custom Inlay

The best word I can use to describe the guitar so far is sweeeet. I have a cedar top on my W14 which produces a warmer tone which is why I chose to put an Engleman top on this guitar. The Engleman / rosewood combination is an exceptionally pleasing combination to me. It's bright without being too jangly and this particular guitar has a surprisingly full bottom end. Its sound is similar to the 814BCE but different. The appearance is understated, no frills, but classy looking.
This is my first guitar with the mexican case and the only differences that I find dissapointing are: the metal logo plate of course no longer says (made in USA)and I can see that the black fuzz is going to drive me nuts for a while.
As far as adding electronics I have been waiting to hear a guitar with the i-beam installed since I do not want to put any holes in the guitar.
I do not anticipate changing the tuning knobs to ebony since the headstock overlay is rosewood. I like the ebony buttons with ebony headstocks but not with rosewood. I would however love to find someone locally who would be able to apply a good gloss finish to the headstock.
I will send some pics in to JR

[ 08-17-2001: Message edited by: CaptBill ]
Old 08-31-2001, 10:44 PM

Cool

Man what a beautiful guitar. I hope my 314ce doesn't see me looking at that....

TP
Old 08-31-2001, 10:50 PM

Cool

NICE!!! JW
Old 08-31-2001, 11:10 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Thanks Guys!
I have to say that I could not be more pleased with how this guitar turned out. I specifically requested from Taylor that it have a two piece back and the darkest Rosewood that they could supply and they really came through! There are more pics now posted in the gallery. It has a beautiful articulate tone and I am very pleased with the Englemann top. Without having a pickguard it will be another fingerstyle guitar but while I was ordering this one I found a 310KCE at my dealer that I am going to use for flatpicking and as a stage guitar.
Hey JW... Are you going to be able to post progress reports during your trip??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification