The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Nut Files

Are the nut files from ckoguitars on ebay any good? or worth it?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM

I think people are going to hesitate to comment about a particular vendor, particularly an ebay seller. You can also do a search and see what substitutes people have tried to get away with instead of buying real nut slot files (feeler gauges that have been notched or scratched on the edge, without hardening, and without a radius, are the most amusing, followed closedly by welding torch tip cleaners).

However I would steer you to two sources where I would not hestitate to buy luthiery tools: 1. Stewart MacDonald's Guitar Shop Supply and 2. Luthier's Mercantile International.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Welding tip cleaners don't work. Not small ones anyway. Big ones have enough rigidity to file acceptable amateur slots if you're careful.

Xacto modelling saw blades apparently come in two thicknesses (0.010" and 0.012") but when I measured mine, I found that both blades measured the same. Xacto didn't reply when I emailed them to ask about it.

Junior hacksaw blades with the edges/kerf stoned off and a radius stoned work ok if you're careful.

Feeler gauges wrapped with 1200 grit waterproof abrasive paper work if you're careful.

I've used these on the very few nuts that I've worked on (and achieved good results). If I was going to work on nuts all the time I'd buy the best files going.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:27 PM

I've got no experience with those exact files. I used to have a few double edged nut files from a well known vendor, and I didn't like them. The edges weren't round, but more "V" shaped. Special care had to be taken or the bottom of the slots would be "V" shaped. I use these If you're willing to spend the $79 for the ones on ebay I'd recommend spending just a little more and getting the ones I have.

Added/Edit, I know several others builders, and repair tech who are happy with their double edged nut files. Maybe it's me, or maybe the files are better now. It was a long time ago when I had my double edged ones.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Thanks. The idea was to bid low, not purchase at the Buy it Now price. The ones you like are single edge. Is there any advantage, the price seems to be the same for the double edged (larger ones).
Old 10-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybrd1 View Post
Thanks. The idea was to bid low, not purchase at the Buy it Now price. The ones you like are single edge. Is there any advantage, the price seems to be the same for the double edged (larger ones).
The Stewmac files have two edges, the same gauge. I got a set of double-edged nutfiles at LMI's open house sale a couple of years ago, didn't care for them, continued using my tried-and-true Stewmac/Hoshino/Grobet
round edge jointing files.

Don't scrimp on nutfiles. Don't even think about "Norman's nutfiles"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair