The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM

Default Cost to build a guitar?

Ok, so if one wanted to try to build a guitar from a semi finished kit (IE: Frets already in neck etc). Beyond the usual household tools, how much should one expect to spend for specialty tools, glues etc? Not counting the cost of the kit.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Me

Not enough info. How finished is it? What about body, bindings, rosette, finish etc.
What tools do you have?
Old 05-26-2010, 01:56 PM

Really don't know enough to answer. Lets say one of the Martin Kits. I have quite a few tools. Mostly construction type.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Me

Start looking here. Do a lot of reading there and most of your question will be answered.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Stewart Macdonald posts the full instructions for their kits and recommended tool/material lists on their website - for example take a look here.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM

As Steve said, look at LMI's kit wizard. You'll get a good idea of the kit cost.
Also, you have to factor in the cost of the tools, molds, etc., that you will need.
I build my first from a StewMac kit, and I spent just as much on tools as on the kit itself. However, I am about to start my 2nd build and already have most of the tools and things that I need.
I didn't buy nut files for my first, for example, but that will be the first purchase I make on this 2nd one. I "made do" with tools that weren't specific to guitar making, so I didn't buy everything that a well equipped professional Luthier would have, but there are some things, like nut files, that are essential (in my mind) if you're going to do more than one. Once the first is finished, you'll figure out what you can do without and what you really need. So there will be some more cost above the kit cost even on the 2nd.
By the way, most kits come with the fretboard sawn properly, and it's very easy to cut and install the frets themselves. Crowning them and filing down the ends is not a hard procedure either.
Good luck,
Bob
Old 06-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Exclamation

It may be better and way cheaper to re-top and re-back a guitar. Like about $300- $500

Building from scratch requires endless specialty tools, molds, and a huge learning curve, and 150 hours. The top is the main focus, the back of solid wood would also makes a difference.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Tools are a big expence. BUT! Many of the tools are easily made or adapted from existing tools. I made my first wood bender out of a Propane tourch, scrap Pipe and scrap metal.
If you are making molds you'll get told make them out of marine grade plywood and big latches........ learned this one from Tim McKnight; plywood and deck screws. Thier way $75 in materials or $125 for one that is made or $5 Tims way.
Yep there are many tools that cannot be replaced. But, even then shop around.
Nuts and saddle blanks are literally 10X cheaper on eBay than from Luthier specialty suppliers.
You can buy a fret hammer for $25 - 30 or get the same thing for $5 from Harbor Freight.
Buy careful. I bought a guy out. He gathered stuff for 5 years. I have so many expensive tools that he bought that were still in wrappers. Other tools I have worn out on my first build.
Don't build thinking you'll save money. My first build has been a series of screw ups. I have an easy 200 hours into it.
But, it is fun and addicting!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:36 PM

Default I'm with you on this one...

The cost of tools seems to be elusive. And really depends on how much you value convenience or top of the line name brand, or frugality... whatever... The question still remains though... A ball park figure that is reasonable does help in knowing if this is a hobby that one can afford....

I really want to take up building a guitar, (Even though I own a few nice ones) I just always wanted to do this as a hobby, but explaining this to my wife and spending out of our bank account is becoming increasingly challenging because I have no figure to tell my wife what it will cost. So I have yet to receive a green light...

So I purchased a sound board (Stika Spruce top grade) on eBay for $20 incl shipping), and my father in law has given me some second hand tools... but I have a long way to go.... I wish I had an answer to this question too because it would help give me a ball park to aim for. StewMac and LMI doesn't really give enough info to make an informed decision... I spent some time in a Harbor Freight location as well looking at tools...

I am just gonna start buying pieces and tools here and there, and wait a couple years. I guess gathering all the hardware and materials is gonna be a challenge as much as building the guitar... but I am up for the challenge... good luck, if any of you figure out a ball park, would be interested to here it... thanks..
2010 Baby Taylor
K-4 equalizer
Line 6 Pod HD 500
Old 06-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I can't say. I scored literally a small guitar company for a great price. Prior I did while gearing up get way too many small boxes in the mail at $700 clips.
Yep, the cost is not fixed. Because the tools are so subjective. Figure a few thousand. It SHOULD take you a few years to tool up. Even with my buy out I am still without Finishing. I am doing French Polish because it is cool and currently financially the sound way to wrap up.
My best, most used tool? A Harbor Freight Digital Caliper!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM

I am figuring this out right now, so here are my projections for retopping a guitar:

1. Spruce Top, Rosette, bracing, aprox $50.00
Back set: $20-50.00

TOOLS
2. Stanley #5 or similar, 2nd blade for toothing, Stanley Hand plane,
$35-$100
3. Go Bar Deck/Go bars: $25-$60.00 depending on if you make your own etc
4. Jointing Jig Free-20.00
5. Guitar to retop Free-$200.00
6. Glue/Sandpaper,
7. House hold iron
8. Older Japanese Thickness Dial Caliper off ebay $15.00

Thickness gage, home made, or?

I think that would about do it for re-topping an acoustic guitar. One or 2 guitar building books would also be good. If it doesnt work out the first time, just redo it again, get learning experience from it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:47 PM

I'm just starting out and am in the tooling up phase. I'm only buying second hand, so it's ebay for me plus markets, yard sales etc. That's part of the fun/challenge! Who knows if a certain tool will be useful or not? If it's cheap enough it doesn't really mater. My guitar will be pretty experimental so I imagine I'll be improvising a fair bit in my tool use anyway.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The amazing files, rasps and such that I have scored at flea markets for a $1.00
All of my thickness gages were 3-4 dollars at the flea market. You want to see some fun/funny made up tools go to my first effort the Brazilian Parlor restoration project post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 AM

I'd be lost without a pillar drill, a band saw, dremel, router and band facer.

hand tools? chisels, fret slot saw, fret press cauls, files, bridge pin reamer, and caliper
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:59 AM

If there's a local wood shop where you can rent time on tools, you could save A LOT of money, especially if you're only making one or two guitars. I have access to a shop for $10 per project. They have the right tools for the right job and are much more precise than the average home shop tools. For specialty items tools (like go-bar decks, molds, benders, fret tools, etc.), you can look around at the concept of the tools and make your own. The bender was the hard thing for me. I ended up paying LMI $20 to bend the sides of my guitar instead of bending really really expensive African Blackwood by hand or getting a bender for $400+.

So far, I've spent a total of $4514.86 for 2 complete guitars, a few mistakes, and tools I've started to collect (portable table saw, router, sanding dishes, jig saw, portable work bench, palm sander, routing bits, rosette tools, etc., etc.) It's not bad at all considering my first guitar came out sounding awesome, and my second guitar is coming out way better (at least in looks, and hopefully just as good or better sound-wise). I wouldn't be able to find a builder to build a guitar with the specs I want for my second guitar less than $10k-15k, so I would say it's not bad having 2 really nice guitars and a whole bunch of tools for other future projects for the amount I spent.

However, if you plan on building only one or two baseline, no frills, sitka/mahogany or EIR guitar(s), it might be better to just buy a Martin or Taylor for $1.5k. :-) On the other hand if you're interested in a $1000+ minimum adventure, go right ahead!

Here's the build I have going. Speaking of which, I need to update pics!!
http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...d.php?t=183970

Last edited by cwguitars; 06-07-2010 at 05:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair