The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 02:50 PM

Default Koa Rosette on Custom Martin

I'm looking into ordering a custom guitar from Martin.

As of now I'm thinking about doing either an Adi or Alpine top with likely EIR back & sides (MAYBE Guatemalan) and koa binding, heel cap and end piece.

Would Martin do a koa rosette to match the binding? If so, any idea on how much that would be?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:50 PM

Not sure if that has ever been requested let alone done.

Last edited by Kerbie; 02-06-2020 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Put your money into tone. If you're choosing alpine over adi for $ and feel you're compromising on tone, or if you're choosing IRW over GRW for $ rather than tone, drop all aesthetic upgrades to afford the best shot at the ultimate tone you're seeking. Martin alpine is nice. GRW and IRW are different. I would take that money and put it into the Guatemalan or Adi upgrade, depending on your preference. $ disappears fast on Martin aesthetics. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post
...Would Martin do a koa rosette to match the binding? If so, any idea on how much that would be?
Only your dealer will be able to answer this. I'm sure they'll do whatever rosette you like. I wouldn't think it would be more than any other rosette and less than many.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I wouldn't think it would be more than any other rosette and less than many.
You, my friend, have clearly never ventured into the boggling world of ordering a custom Martin...

There is DEFINITELY an uncharge for this. Not clear exactly what OP means by "koa rosette" though. It might be an extra $100. Or it's several hundred for some more elaborate design.

OP, what do you have in mind? And let us know what the uncharge ends up being.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
You, my friend, have clearly never ventured into the boggling world of ordering a custom Martin...

There is DEFINITELY an uncharge for this. Not clear exactly what OP means by "koa rosette" though. It might be an extra $100. Or it's several hundred for some more elaborate design.

OP, what do you have in mind? And let us know what the uncharge ends up being.
Something very simple. Probably based on the Old 28 style but with Koa.

I saw a picture when I googled it before that was perfect and for whatever reason didn't save the link and now I can't find it again.

It was very simple, understated, just enough koa to be noticeable.

I'll keep looking for it.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Only your dealer will be able to answer this. I'm sure they'll do whatever rosette you like. I wouldn't think it would be more than any other rosette and less than many.
Sounds like a great idea, particularly if you have koa binding too. Checking with the dealer is a great idea too.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Some of the signature models Martin has made over the years have had koa trim, bindings and rosettes alike. I doubt that it'll be a terribly expensive upgrade to get one.

whm
Old 02-07-2020, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

This is one of the reasons that you have to work with a dealer who is experienced with the Custom Shop. There on several forum sponsors who have the experience that you need. They can guide you. I've dealt with Maury's and my order went seamlessly. Our forum dealers will also give you a great discount on a CS order. Maury quoted me 40% off of the Martin quote, and then when he delivered my guitar, he gave me another discount.

And because I'm in the same shipping zone, Maury gets me a my new guitar the next morning if I order by three in the afternoon.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some of the signature models Martin has made over the years have had koa trim, bindings and rosettes alike. I doubt that it'll be a terribly expensive upgrade to get one.

whm
Any idea what they were called or anything so I could get an idea of how it will look?

I'm fairly certain it will look great with the koa binding and tie it all together but always nice to see a picture.

I'm thinking something simple and rather thin like this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAV
Old 02-08-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any idea what they were called or anything so I could get an idea of how it will look?

I'm fairly certain it will look great with the koa binding and tie it all together but always nice to see a picture.

That would look **** fine. You could keep the style 28 rosette design and just replace the ivoroid/white plastic center ring with koa. No idea the upcharge, but would look great I'm sure. You can put a koa headstock faceplate on it too, FYI.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I was doubtful about how it might look but it looks cool IMO on the Santa Cruz!!!!! I would if i ordered another custom spend $ on top/ back and sides and scalloping
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
That would look **** fine. You could keep the style 28 rosette design and just replace the ivoroid/white plastic center ring with koa. No idea the upcharge, but would look great I'm sure. You can put a koa headstock faceplate on it too, FYI.
Yea I was going to go Koa headstock faceplate at first but I actually like the darker wood with gold hardware and also didn't want to go overboard with the koa. Also would rather put that money into tone since I do like the look of the darker wood headstock.

If I go with Guatemalan RW back & sides do they automatically do a GWR headstock to match or it would still be a EIR headstock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
I was doubtful about how it might look but it looks cool IMO on the Santa Cruz!!!!! I would if i ordered another custom spend $ on top/ back and sides and scalloping
Well I am putting almost all of the money into the tone of the guitar. But I would like a few features that make it unique and special aesthetically.

The only aesthetic stuff I'm considering are the koa binding/heel cap (& rosette), my initials in abalone in the heel cap, and the long diamond fretboard inlays, and I guess you could consider gold tuners aesthetic as well.

Don't think I'm overdoing the aesthetic stuff especially considering what's possible.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yea I was going to go Koa headstock faceplate at first but I actually like the darker wood with gold hardware and also didn't want to go overboard with the koa. Also would rather put that money into tone since I do like the look of the darker wood headstock.

If I go with Guatemalan RW back & sides do they automatically do a GWR headstock to match or it would still be a EIR headstock?

Well I am putting almost all of the money into the tone of the guitar. But I would like a few features that make it unique and special aesthetically.

The only aesthetic stuff I'm considering are the koa binding/heel cap (& rosette), my initials in abalone in the heel cap, and the long diamond fretboard inlays, and I guess you could consider gold tuners aesthetic as well.

Don't think I'm overdoing the aesthetic stuff especially considering what's possible.
Check into upgrading the headstock wood to make it stand out and would suggest the CF Martin block style with pearl or abalone etc. With a darker headstock wood that will really stand out and look super classy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion