The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Default Good quality custom case

For my 60th I’m having a custom acoustic built by a friend who’s been building instruments for years. His body shape is not exactly like any other guitar I’m aware of and I don’t want a case that “sort of” fits. Who builds custom cases ?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Ameritage and Cedar Creek both build very nice custom cases. I own several Ameritage cases and one Cedar Creek. The Ameritage is a bit more top shelf but both will build to your guitar's measurements so the case fits like a custom made shoe.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-08-2020, 08:10 PM

Every custom builder I've purchased from offers a top-tier case option for their guitars. For example, when I had a Charis built, he offers a standard case and custom Main Stage case made specifically for his SJ guitars. They even come with a plaque that says Charis Guitars instead of Main Stage. I would check with the builder as he/she will need to provide exact measurements for a case company to fabricate that case. He probably already has someone doing that for him/her.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I believe you can give Calton guitar Cases the exact measurements of your guitar, and they will build it for you. They run in the $1200 dollar range though.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I believe you can give Calton guitar Cases the exact measurements of your guitar, and they will build it for you. They run in the $1200 dollar range though.
This is correct. They’ve been doing it since 1969

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 02-08-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Ameritage and Cedar Creek both build very nice custom cases. I own several Ameritage cases and one Cedar Creek. The Ameritage is a bit more top shelf but both will build to your guitar's measurements so the case fits like a custom made shoe.
I've owned both brands, as well, but haven't kept any of the Ameritage cases because they're quite bulky and considerably heavier than the Cedar Creeks. On the two occasions when a guitar has come in an Ameritage case I've immediately sold the case while it's still brand new and put the guitar in an appropriate hardshell case.

Ameritage Cases

Calton Fiberglass Flight Case

While the Ameritage cases are definitely high quality, they weigh as much as a Calton flight case without as much protection, in my experience, and are even a bit bulkier.

I also own a couple of Calton flight cases and use them as my everyday cases for a couple of guitars, and I don't mind taking them to in-town gigs as well as flying with them. But ten minutes walking around my house with the first Ameritage case that came my way was enough to convince me that I didn't want to use it.

It's all a matter of personal taste, of course, and some folks really like the Ameritage cases. But I happen to find that the Cedar Creek cases I own are a lot more practical for daily use.

Short version: I've continued to keep and use the Cedar Creek cases I own, but sold off both Ameritage cases as soon as I got them.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Depending on the size of the guitar, the Visesnut cases are very nice, and easily adjust to accomodate a wide range of sizes -
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 PM

Visesnut cases (vih-SES-nut) get good reviews, and have a unique adjustable inner system. I'd think you could get it to snugly hold the guitar regardless of the shape.

Note I don't have any personal experience with them, although my commissioned build coming this year may arrive in one!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Depending on the size of the guitar, the Visesnut cases are very nice, and easily adjust to accomodate a wide range of sizes -
I agree- the Visesnut cases are great! They're very lightweight but still are able to humidify the guitar correctly. They have adjustable straps that fit around the guitar and hold it in the case well. Ben Wilborn (a luthier who builds great guitars) offers either a Visesnut or an Ameritage case with his guitars.

I have three of the Visesnut cases. Two of my guitars came with custom Ameritage cases, but they're just so heavy that I bought the Visesnut cases so I could transport my guitars easily and have humidity control. If you don't gig or have a cabin in the mountains, the Ameritage cases are very nice. But I needed a solid case that was also lightweight so I could transport guitars without worrying about humidity.

I'm actually thinking about another one, as I have a guitar in a Cedar Creek case and the Visesnut cases are so much lighter.

beth
Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 PM

I'd also throw Hoffee Cases in the discussion. They are based not far from where I grew up!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Cedar Creek makes a nice case. I have a few Ameritage cases; they are quality but unnecessarily heavy and bulky. Hoffee makes an excellent custom carbon fiber case, but they are quite expensive.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

When I had James and Luke Goodall build me my Grand Concert as a 60th birthday present for myself (!), I decided to go ahead and spring for a Calton case, and I'm glad I did!

Although many folks said that the Calton was "too heavy", I find it to be lighter than an Ameritage, and MUCH MORE protective of the instrument. I would feel comfortable with putting my Calton case in baggage on an airplane, but Ameritage's aren't geared for that...

Calton will make you a case with the dimensions you give them...

For me, KNOWING my guitar was protected and secure was the main reason I went with a Calton... even though I haven't had to fly with it yet, I'm still glad I got it.

If $$$$ isn't too much of an issue, check out Karura cases, too... lighter than Caltons, but more money...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-10-2020, 03:37 AM
Charter Member

Of my cases:

Ameritage – solid but very heavy and the only case I’ve had where the handle broke – poor design and then poor support from maker. Maybe they’ve got better over the years but they lost my vote a long time ago.

Mainstage & Calton – solid as a rock

Hoffee - very strong. Great build and light weight.

Visesenut – just got my first one and I am very impressed with the flexibility, strength and low weight. Not sure if it is as strong as a Hoffee or a Mainstage but unless I am flying and checking it that is probably not an issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion