The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 07:30 PM

Fantastic! Fortunately I like Taylors much more than Austin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I enjoyed his brother more.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Really enjoyed those vids. Thanks for posting, Jeremy.

Old 01-25-2020, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Ok everyone, let's not get off the topic of the videos too much. Yes we have all had enough V-brace talk for now, but Pga is very new to the forum, so may not know about the search options etc.

Plus if that was our golden rule, there would probably be no new threads right?

Now how bout those videos...he never says what kind of coffee he is drinking, I think that is a major flaw in the production!
How right your are! In fact I never saw him drink the coffee either. Apart from that I thought the series was thoughtful and informative.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:58 AM
Charter Member

I've always wondered how other luthiers view Andy Powers? Although I'm not a luthier, I feel he's likely living the dream: being the head designer and a partner in Taylor Guitars while, on the side, still pursuing his personal instrument designs. Would any of our AGF luthiers care to comment? Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-25-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Ok everyone, let's not get off the topic of the videos too much. Yes we have all had enough V-brace talk for now, but Pga is very new to the forum, so may not know about the search options etc.

Plus if that was our golden rule, there would probably be no new threads right?

Now how bout those videos...he never says what kind of coffee he is drinking, I think that is a major flaw in the production!
Very true it does say "Coffee & Guitars". The flavor "balance" that comes from a good medium dark roast, through a grind and brew per cup machine like the JURA for example, has significantly more "projection" than say a typical drip to pot machine

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-25-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 AM

I too am slightly miffed about the lack of introspection regarding caffeinated beverages typically consumed during the morning meal and how they affect the "tone" of one's subsequent day...

Best,
PJ
Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Very true it does say "Coffee & Guitars". The flavor "balance" that comes from a good medium dark roast, through a grind and brew per cup machine like the JURA for example, has significantly more "projection" than say a typical drip to pot machine
V-class coffee has them all beat, with its very even flavor throughout the entire pot, and a taste that just won't go away.

X-braced coffee is an old school thing of the past.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-25-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've always wondered how other luthiers view Andy Powers?...Would any of our AGF luthiers care to comment?
First, it would, generally, be "bad form" for one luthier to publicly comment on another luthier's work or life.

Second, commenting would be a no-win situation for the luthier commenting. Taylor (or Martin, Gibson, Guild ...) makes - and sells - more guitars in a day than many one-off luthiers make in a life time: the tail commenting on the dog is largely irrelevant to most readers. Any negative comment - even if valid or constructive - will come-off sounding like sour grapes, spilled milk...

For those reasons, I'm very careful in my public comments regarding other luthiers or guitar brands. That said, there is no question that during their history Taylor guitars has been "instrumental" in introducing advances in guitar design. Arguably not everything Taylor - or any other manufacturer - has done has been an improvement or advancement and the determination of that is often a matter of opinion. The same could also be said of Ovation and certain other manufacturers/makers.

Ultimately, for most guitar makers, large volume and small, the goal is to make and sell guitars. Different makers use different approaches and "styles" to do so, particularly for the selling. Whether or not one likes one maker's style of doing so is personal preference.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
How right your are! In fact I never saw him drink the coffee either. Apart from that I thought the series was thoughtful and informative.
Actually, he did take a number of sips from the coffee throughout the various vids, employing the more casual "around the diameter" grip method vice holding the cup by the handle - a sign of a true coffee aficionado ... and while we know very little about the specific brew, the intro to the series shows him using a coffee press ... so perhaps a fine french-milled variety or some such ...

... that's all I got ...

Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 PM

Having a fine local roaster coffee (Boyers) that makes the best Kona I've ever had. Think I'll start another cup and watch some videos
Old 01-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
First, it would, generally, be "bad form" for one luthier to publicly comment on another luthier's work or life.

Second, commenting would be a no-win situation for the luthier commenting. Taylor (or Martin, Gibson, Guild ...) makes - and sells - more guitars in a day than many one-off luthiers make in a life time: the tail commenting on the dog is largely irrelevant to most readers. Any negative comment - even if valid or constructive - will come-off sounding like sour grapes, spilled milk...

For those reasons, I'm very careful in my public comments regarding other luthiers or guitar brands. That said, there is no question that during their history Taylor guitars has been "instrumental" in introducing advances in guitar design. Arguably not everything Taylor - or any other manufacturer - has done has been an improvement or advancement and the determination of that is often a matter of opinion. The same could also be said of Ovation and certain other manufacturers/makers.

Ultimately, for most guitar makers, large volume and small, the goal is to make and sell guitars. Different makers use different approaches and "styles" to do so, particularly for the selling. Whether or not one likes one maker's style of doing so is personal preference.
I see what you did there. Nice play!

Your even-handed and mature approach to this subject is appreciated.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

Well said, Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion