The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm headed to The Fellowship of Acoustics this weekend to play some McIlroys! Heard one a few years ago when I was in Alaska and it floored me, sounded angelic...but I couldn't find one to play.

Here's to hoping I can join the McIlroy tribe by Monday.

BTW, I'm particularly interested in the AP series and a "dread" they have.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post
I'm headed to The Fellowship of Acoustics this weekend to play some McIlroys! Heard one a few years ago when I was in Alaska and it floored me, sounded angelic...but I couldn't find one to play.

Here's to hoping I can join the McIlroy tribe by Monday.

BTW, I'm particularly interested in the AP series and a "dread" they have.

I’m quite jealous! I think they have the best McIlroy inventory in the world right now

Would love your feedback about the AP65c and the AP25c! Was very tempted to buy the 65 especially being on sale. But I ended up ordering a custom AP25 at Kieran Moloney that’ll be ready in May.

I’ve owned two Mcilroys and they were both world class. Best of luck to you!
Line6 Pod Go ("Helix Lite")

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-1...c00vCM5OTc-dmA
Old 01-16-2020, 10:20 PM

To slightly stiffen the sides on my guitars. I craft very small thin flat braces and glue about -4 or 5 of them vertically spaced on each Side bout. It also protects the sides from a -lengthy crack occurring along the grain should a bump or impact occur. I prefer and will always remain in all Solid Wood guitar camp of builders.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post
I’m quite jealous! I think they have the best McIlroy inventory in the world right now

Would love your feedback about the AP65c and the AP25c! Was very tempted to buy the 65 especially being on sale. But I ended up ordering a custom AP25 at Kieran Moloney that’ll be ready in May.

I’ve owned two Mcilroys and they were both world class. Best of luck to you!
The AP65C and AP25c are at the top of my list of guitars to play! I'm also very interested in the AD20 "dread" style they have, among a few others. I've been working a trade deal with them via email, so there may be a NGD post by the end of the holiday weekend.

I plan to do some pics and vids while there, so I'll share if anyone's interested.
Old 01-17-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The AP65C and AP25c are at the top of my list of guitars to play! I'm also very interested in the AD20 "dread" style they have, among a few others. I've been working a trade deal with them via email, so there may be a NGD post by the end of the holiday weekend.

I plan to do some pics and vids while there, so I'll share if anyone's interested.

Yes please do let us know!

The AD20 sounds amazing on their video. The A is too big for me and the AD even more so.

My custom AP will be a “deep” body AP...110mm. Just in between Dermot’s A (120) and AP (105) size. I’m trying to get as close to the A sound with a thinner body.

The AP65c a TFOA with the rippled walnut is a steal!

Old 01-19-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes please do let us know!

The AD20 sounds amazing on their video. The A is too big for me and the AD even more so.

My custom AP will be a “deep” body AP...110mm. Just in between Dermot’s A (120) and AP (105) size. I’m trying to get as close to the A sound with a thinner body.

The AP65c a TFOA with the rippled walnut is a steal!
Where’s the signup sheet for the McIlroy clan club?! I picked up an A50 over the weekend and can’t sit it down. I’ll post a NGD thread in a few days.

Also, The Fellowship of Acoustics is an incredible place! Smooth deal and professional knowledgeable staff.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Where’s the signup sheet for the McIlroy clan club?! I picked up an A50 over the weekend and can’t sit it down. I’ll post a NGD thread in a few days.

Also, The Fellowship of Acoustics is an incredible place! Smooth deal and professional knowledgeable staff.

Congratulations!! A Mcilroy A50 is truly a dream guitar! Can’t wait to see a NGD post

The Cult of Mcilroy thread is here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...208743&page=14.
However there doesn’t seem to be any official “moderator” or list keeper anymore.

The Mcilroy Guitars Facebook group is a fantastic community, however, that I highly recommend you check out, here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2334...703/?ref=share

Old 01-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congratulations!! A Mcilroy A50 is truly a dream guitar! Can’t wait to see a NGD post

The Cult of Mcilroy thread is here:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...208743&page=14.
However there doesn’t seem to be any official “moderator” or list keeper anymore.

The Mcilroy Guitars Facebook group is a fantastic community, however, that I highly recommend you check out, here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2334...703/?ref=share
It truly is! I was doing some recordings this evening and I asked my wife to come up and listen. She got this huge smile on her face and I said, "What?" She said, "That guitar sounds incredible!" In the 12 yrs we've been together, I don't think she's ever said that about a guitar. She usually tells me no one cares about the guitar tone other than other guitar players. Ha!

Will do a NGD post later this week. Also hoping to get some time at McIlroy's shop in April when I'm in Belfast to see David Gray.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:21 AM

I re-float this thread to tell you that I just purchased a Redwood Koa Mcilroy A48. It will arrive this next week and I am impatient!

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 04-23-2021, 04:34 AM

I have had one Mcilroy in hand once years ago and still think of it. Beautiful rich sounding guitars. Congratulations on the new baby!
Old 04-23-2021, 06:50 AM

Love mine. If the string spacing at the saddle (like Lowden) were just a hair wider it would be a perfect guitar.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I've owned guitars from McIlroy, Lowden and Avalon, all in the same approximate F size. All with cedar tops. All great for my playing style - exclusively finger style in DADGAD. The craftsmanship on all was top notch and clearly I prefer the Irish tone. I can easily recommend any of the three brands. Just choose a wood combination that suits you. Not that it matters but I eventually decided to simplify life and keep only one and sell two. The Lowden and Avalon had better bass notes with the Lowden boasting greater bass note separation and the Avalon having rounder 'blooming' bass notes. I still have the Lowden and on occasion miss the Avalon. Just one guy's experience...all three brands are amazing and strike me as different branches of the same tree.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion