The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-09-2016, 02:01 PM

Default "Interesting" Acoustic Guitar Duo Micing Technique

While cruising around Sound On Sound archives I found this article on recording an acoustic guitar duo. I'm sure it's been seen by many of you, but I had not seen it before and the author used a rather interesting non-conventional micing technique.

Anyone interested should read the full article, but it boils down to the guitarists facing each other and using two overhead spaced pair omnis angled toward the respective players. I've never seen this before (obviously some good reasons...) but it's food for thought.

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniqu...oustic-guitars
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM

Good read. More proof there's more than one way to skin a cat! I wish I could access the sound clips but I couldn't.

I have an old silver pair of those Octava MK-012 (the 01s) and they really are good (and solid built) mics for the money.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Good read. More proof there's more than one way to skin a cat! I wish I could access the sound clips but I couldn't.

I have an old silver pair of those Octava MK-012 (the 01s) and they really are good (and solid built) mics for the money.
There's a link to the sound clips as a downloadable zipped file. Download the zipped file and you should be able to un-zip by double-clicking the file (at least that's how it works for PC).

You can find the downloadable zipped file link as well as an explanation of all the individual files here:

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniqu...-guitars-media
Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 AM

Yeah, I tried that already. It's my problem - it's an old windows o/s I'm on while I log on here. The zip extracts garbage that I can't open. I may try it from my Mac later but as a rule I try not to go on line with the Mac, except for DAW software download updates, troubleshooting docs I need, etc.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Yeah, I tried that already. It's my problem - it's an old windows o/s I'm on while I log on here. The zip extracts garbage that I can't open. I may try it from my Mac later but as a rule I try not to go on line with the Mac, except for DAW software download updates, troubleshooting docs I need, etc.
My PC never sees the web. I just save the file (like the zipped wav examples in this case) to a flash drive on my Chromebook and physically transfer it to the PC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD