The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-30-2010, 01:10 PM

Default join a building course to build a baritone?

Hi guys,

I'm considering taking a continuing studies course at a arts&design college in Toronto (OCAD).

Course description:
String Instrument Design and Construction
CSSI 1N01, 10 weeks
Instructor: Philip Davis
Thursdays, 6 to 9 pm, Jan 13-Mar 17, 2011
Prerequisite: some art, design, professional craft training, or equivalent experience.
In this unique hands-on class, Students have the amazing opportunity to study with master luthier Philip Davis to build their own violin or guitar (electric, classical or steel string). Cost: $600, $40 material fee + HST

I'm really interested and passionate about guitar construction. I know a lot of information about it from a player's perspective, but I have zero hands-on experience in building.

I'm really excited about taking this course and building a baritone.
Do you guys think it's plausible? Or maybe even willing to help with informaiton/pointing to where to get information? Anyone done something similar?
Old 09-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I would check with the instructor about building a baritone guitar. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Just bear in mind they may not have the fretting templates and other fixtures needed to build a baritone. They also may not have the neck blank and fingerboard blank for the neck length you need, so you might have to bring your' own materials for the neck, including the longer truss rod.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM

I would do my homework before contacting the professor. Determine what body size, scale and neck length you want for your baritone first. Then, when you talk to the prof, you'll be able to answer his questions.

-Raf
Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 AM

+1 on the wisdom above.

when I did the course run by Sam Irwin in Belfast there were folks making all sorts of things. nylon and steel acoustics, solid electrics, mandos, bouzoukis, and even a harp.

if Mr Davis is any good he'll have no difficulty in adapting his skills to steer you round a baritone.

as far as the output, when I signed up I said I'd be happy if the guitar I ended up with was as good as the one I COULD have bought if i'd taken the course fees and materials costs to a guitar shop. One of the old lags said if the guitar was as bad as that, he'd personally slap me in the mouth!!
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair