The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-01-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Newbie Introduction (Photos added)

Just want to quickly introduce myself. My name is Ollie and I am an addict... and a brand-new member. I have a passion for great acoustics. I'm in the process of building my first guitar - Adirondack top & bracing, mahogany back & sides, slope-shoulder, maple binding, madagascar rosewood fretboard, 3-piece hog/maple/hog neck. The body is complete and I'm about to start on carving the neck.

Last edited by AGnut; 08-04-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Welcome, Ollie. I'm fairly new myself, about 7-8 months.
Good luck with your project.
Now, how about some pics? Folks here is into eye candy.
Bob
Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Welcome to the enablers house. Yep, don't exsist if it don't gots pix
Old 08-01-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Pictures

Already then... I've posted some pictures on photobucket. There are folders of a few of my guitars. Some I still have, some are gone. Here is the link: http://s954.photobucket.com/home/OllieWolff/allalbums

As you may notice, the guitar is far from perfect. It is not symmetrical when viewed from the front or the back. Somehow one side moved on me while I was gluing the top on, so now it's sort of a 1/2 slope, 1/2 dread - a Dre-ope? Ya never know, maybe I'm on to something good here...

I had the guitar stored in the basement of a friend's house up North over winter and when I got it back a few nasty cracks developed on the back. The back did turn out a little thinner than I wanted it to. Funny thing is, I put it in the case and pulled it back out one month later and I could not find the cracks again!!! No crack jokes, pleeease. I'm thinking about putting some thin finger braces across a couple of spots in the back of the guitar to fix it.

I recently traded a friend one Gibson guitar for a Terraco 2-spindle carver, which I'm going to use to carve the neck with. I think my neck blank is big enough to get two necks out of.

I could ramble on and on, but that's it for now.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGnut View Post
Already then... I've posted some pictures on photobucket. There are folders of a few of my guitars. Some I still have, some are gone. Here is the link: http://s954.photobucket.com/home/OllieWolff/allalbums

As you may notice, the guitar is far from perfect. It is not symmetrical when viewed from the front or the back. Somehow one side moved on me while I was gluing the top on, so now it's sort of a 1/2 slope, 1/2 dread - a Dre-ope? Ya never know, maybe I'm on to something good here...

I had the guitar stored in the basement of a friend's house up North over winter and when I got it back a few nasty cracks developed on the back. The back did turn out a little thinner than I wanted it to. Funny thing is, I put it in the case and pulled it back out one month later and I could not find the cracks again!!! No crack jokes, pleeease. I'm thinking about putting some thin finger braces across a couple of spots in the back of the guitar to fix it.

I recently traded a friend one Gibson guitar for a Terraco 2-spindle carver, which I'm going to use to carve the neck with. I think my neck blank is big enough to get two necks out of.

I could ramble on and on, but that's it for now.
Yep, your hooked. It was said to me; Then you sell the factory guitars for tools and wood..... They are not cracks they are lateral soundports
Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Ha ha... that's funny. I read one of your threads last night. Entertaining and inspiring.

Last edited by AGnut; 08-03-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Smile Photos!

Thanks to Yamaha Junkie for helping me post these photos!

Last edited by AGnut; 08-04-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

You're welcome. Looks great. What finish will you use/did you use?
Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 PM

I planned on using the StewMac grain filler, waterbased primer and waterbased laquer. I had originally planned on adding just a bit of red stain to the back & sides, but I actually like the natural look now. My biggest problem with finishing is... I have no idea about the finishing process! Do you just go down to the hardware store and pick up a $30 electric paint gun? Or do you need a big compressor and air gun? I'm sure if I looked around the forum I will find the answers.

I also considered saving the above products for the my next guitar (hopefully one with less flaws...) and handing the guitar to a friend of mine, who owns a cabinet-making business with a nice professional paintbooth. We had him finish a bunch of knotty alder interior doors and they look fantastic. I'm not sure what kind of laquer he used or how many coats he put on. It's just a really thin finish, semi-glossy. I'm thinking with a couple more coats and some polishing that would turn our pretty darn acceptable.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:35 AM

Welcome! It looks very nice so far. I only hope my first build looks so clean. I know you said there were flaws but to the rest of us we don't see them. Good luck with the finishing. How's the neck coming?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

A couple options. Go to Stewmac (or probably LMI) they sell sprays in cans. Also, I am sure you can find the right stuff to buy for your spray cabinet guy.
I have the sprayers I won a box of them at A.S.I.A but still do not have the fire rated fan (big $$$) and the compressor.
We have a fellow AGF'er that makes a living or a chunck of his living finishing guitars a for a few Pro builders and DIY'ers. His handle here is Getgo. His name is Joe White, he's out of Indiana. I have met him a few times and have seen many of his finished guitars. Perfect is the word.
There is alot to learn. Stew mac has a book on all of the finishes and approaches. Very informative.
I did French Polish on my first build and likely my second build. There is a great tutorial on the net; http://www.milburnguitars.com/fpintro.html
It is fun, rewarding, frustrating and time consuming. Warning there are a bunch of ways. If you follow the tutorial, get the Fernandez video, take a class.....no one does it the same! http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/3973
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM

Here's a pretty long discussion of a water-based lacquer that some people are using. There are pictures of guitars finished using it. I used it on my first, and was very happy with the results.
I brushed my finish on. The only thing I wasn't good at was levelling the finish as I went along. I didn't know what to look for, and it was too late by the time I figured it out. However, unless one looks close, my finish came out pretty good.

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/forum...d=3879_0_7_0_C

It's called Emtech 6000. They have a pore filler and it's talked about in the discussion. I found brushing to be very easy. However, I plan to spray my next one as the spraying itself should be easier. Just a lot of cleanup after each coat is shot.
Bob

Last edited by naccoachbob; 08-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Check out Bill Cory's website showing his StewMac dread build. Sections 25 and 26 talk about a water based finish he used very successfully.

http://web.mac.com/magads/Site/Build...mac_Dread.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair