The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-15-2001, 05:31 AM

The JBLs are awesome, but may be out of JDs price range. I don't think they make a 12" either - I think 15" are just a little too bulky to deal with for a coffeehouse situation.

I agree about the sound. I was just sitting at church listening to how sweet the EON sounds earlier tonight. My 810 sounds great through it...

Ken
Old 09-15-2001, 10:41 AM

Everybody, thank you for your input! But feel free to add more if you think of it! I think we have decided on the Yamaha package offered through Musician's friend. It is a good place to start, and after we add a couple of good mics and some good cables, we just might still be within budget.

I had hoped to purchase an 810 soon, but that will have to be put off for a little bit... Thanks all

Old 09-15-2001, 12:22 PM

JD -

Seriously, before you call Musician's Friend, call Sweetwater Sound. I'm sure they can match the price. Don't worry, they're not a fly-by-night internet company -they have a good history of supplying studio and live sound reinforcement gear. They're not as well known among musicians but well known in recording and live sound circles.

They've got some of the most knowledgeable salespeople in the business. They will assign a sales engineer to you who will work closely with you to get what you need.

Plus, they sell some really nice cables at a good price. They use Neutrik connectors which are the best.

Ken
Old 09-15-2001, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kenliu:
<STRONG>JD -

Seriously, before you call Musician's Friend, call Sweetwater Sound. I'm sure they can match the price.
Ken</STRONG>
I'll give 'em a shot first. Thanks Ken!
Old 09-16-2001, 12:00 AM

Jeff:
If you dont want to spend a lot of $$$ and want a great sounding portable system, check out the Genz Benz UC4. It is similar to the California Blond acoustic amp but has 4 channels like you need.

I have used one for a lot of gigs and everyone raves about the sound. I love it and only paid about $450 for it. Try www.genzbenz.com for starters.

ScottyD
Old 09-16-2001, 08:13 PM

I have a Peavey 5 channel mixer I have used for 11 years and it has been completely reliable and sounds great. I have never owned another P.A. system so I have no knowledge of other brands, but I am completely happy with Peavey. I agree, get at least 5 channels, you never know when you need more and the bigger units usually have more adjustments possible because they have more bands on the EQ. I am kind of picky about sound and I am happy with it. My unit has reverb but I hardly use it. I run the vocal through a boss delay pedal, with hardly any delay, just a tiny amount to sweeten it up. I opted for 15" speakers. I think they sound better. They are a pain in the butt as far as lifting them all the time but size hasn't been an issue, and I have played in some of the smallest corners you can imagine, I don't think they take up that much more space.
Old 10-04-2001, 10:28 AM

Well, I think I have finally found a good combo.. Found a nice Mackie 6 channel mixer for under 500 and can add a couple of JBL 15" speakers for about a grand total. Thanks everyone for their input!
Old 10-04-2001, 12:23 PM
Nichols Custom Inlay

Hi Jeff,
Good choice!
What power amp will you be using?
I found the Crown to be a good clean amp without breaking the bank.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:47 PM

JD -

Glad you found yourself some nice gear. The Mackie stuff sounds great and is really rugged. Don't forget to read the manual!

Did you decide on what kind of mics to use?

Ken
Old 10-04-2001, 02:00 PM

Going with the good old standard shure mics. Can't do much better than that without breaking the bank.

Oh, and the Mackie mixer has 2X300 power. A heck of a lot more than I will need in the next few years.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: jdpresto ]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification