The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2001, 01:21 PM

Post Walnut tops?

Anyone know if it's possible to order a walnut-topped W14c? And if so, what's the upgrade charge? And, perhaps most importantly, how would the walnut soundboard affect the tone?

I appreciate your responses and opinions. It seems the walnut series is a bit under-represented on this site . . . ?

-- EJC
Old 09-10-2001, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Don't know about the sound but, it sure would be purty!!
Old 09-10-2001, 09:29 PM

Technically, you should be able to order it with the walnut top. Just like you can get a koa with a koa top. No extra charge.
I would like to hear one with a walnut top. Let us know, when you get it!

(I do have a W14c, which sounds nice, but I am unhappy with the binding problems. It has been sent back twice and looks like it will need a third trip.)
Old 09-16-2001, 02:40 PM
Good to the Wood

I'm not sure about whether the walnut top is an option, but I do own a 1999 W-65 (twelve string walnut top, sides, back), and everyone who has heard it tells me that it is the most beautiful-sounding twelve string they have ever heard. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I think that their reaction is due to the fact that the all-walnut body simply offers a completely different sound than what is typically heard. It is beautiful in both appearance and sound. I recommend that you call Taylor's customer service line and ask for Diane Magogna. She's the person who helped me with my last special ordering choices; she knows her stuff, and is quite helpful. Good luck to you!
Old 09-16-2001, 03:18 PM

I think you should try one first ... maybe try a W-65 since that's a regular production guitar that dealers get occasionally and not a special order. I know those who like all walnut guitars ... I had a W-65 and I just didn't like it very much. It was stunning visually (right J.R.?), but I wasn't enamored with the sound and preferred other guitars over it.

Also, I'm not sure if walnut is one of the no extra charge tops. I know that Engelmann, Cedar, and Koa are, but I don't remember seeing Walnut being on the list.
Old 09-17-2001, 03:24 PM

Hi I also agree with Good to the wood, My W65 is the best sounding 12 string I have ever played! Tone, volume and projection is outstanding! Do not be afraid to try a walnut top! SG
Old 09-18-2001, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the responses! I called Taylor yesterday, and they confirmed that it's no added charge for the walnut top. HOWEVER, when I asked about how this would affect the tone on a W14 for example, they weren't too optimistic! The guy explained that since walnut is a very hard wood, and doesn't have a very straight grain (compared to cedar or spruce), that it would lose quite a bit on the lower end. He said it would look really nice, obviously, but he didn't have anything good to say about the tone of an all-walnut guitar!

It's interesting, then, to note the positive responses from all of you twelve string owners. Why do you suppose the walnut top is so popular on the 12 string yet practically nonexistent (and in fact discouraged) on 6-string models?!?

-- Eric
Old 09-18-2001, 06:07 PM

I personally did not like the tone on my W-65 ... but I know those who do like them. An all-Walnut jumbo 6-string might have a nice sound. I think the stiffer tops kind of need a larger body. For example, I love large bodied all-koa guitars, but the small bodied all-koa guitars generally sound a bit weak, especially in the bass.

Hope you have fun in your quest.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:05 PM
Jim

I don't know much about the W-65s as I have only ever tried one once, but I do have a K-65 which would have many similar (but better qualities IMHO ) I think the reason it sounds so good with a stiffer wood top is that it is a jumbo body, which by definition gives it a more bassy tone. The koa top and the octave strings are balanced out by the jumbo size resulting in a remarkably balanced tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification