The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-27-2001, 10:31 AM

Post Finally got my 714/question about cedar sound

After much searching of stores, eBay, HC, etc., I finally purchased my 714 (off HC classified from, as it turned out, a fellow Christian musician). It's a 2000 model, cedar top, in absolutely perfect condition. Has a passive Fishman, so I had to get a ProEq. Only downside is that it has the black fuzzy case instead of the red plush, but, given the sweetness of this guitar, I'll live with it.

My question is, I'm having a little trouble getting used to the much warmer sound of the cedar (my other Taylor is a 410). I prefer a slightly brighter tone. It'll probably grow on me, but can I accomplish that with brighter strings?

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 08-31-2001, 03:06 AM

hi,

did you get it with the electronics and the cutaway? or was it a plain grand auditorium shape?
Old 08-31-2001, 08:02 AM

Cool

Due to the fact you say you had to get a pro EQ Im going to assume it doest have the bleder in it. This guitar is going to sound much warmer than the 410. I would say to brighten it up put on a fresh set of Elixer nanowebs. While I like the polywebs better I pefer the softer sound. Its going to sound soft no matter what you do because of the cedar top. the big advantage is you have two great guitars, use them each in there respective places. Congrats on a nice guitar! JW
Old 08-31-2001, 03:17 PM

Hey, thanks, guys.

bembi -- is a straight-up 2000 714, cedar/rosewood, no C or E.

JW -- It came from the seller with a passive Fishman (my 410 has an active Fishman), so I had to get a preamp. That's OK, because now I don't have to depend upon the kid working the sound at church anymore. (BTW, can I use the ProEq with my active pickup, too?)

I'm still getting used to the warmth, but liking it more and more. I was close to getting a 814B (Englemann), but this was a great deal.

The wider neck is also a bit of an adjustment, not only the width, but I find I have to stretch more with my pinky finger to the 4th and 5th frets (assuming we're in the 1st position).

Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Jazz Bass
Old 08-31-2001, 03:19 PM

JW -- One more thing, the seller put a new set of NanoWebs on it. Another blessing, as I've been using them on my 410 for some time.

Jay

Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification